Small Portable Radio's?

inetdog

Enlightened
Overload can also cause the strong station to appear at multiple points on the dial, possibly mixed with the audio of other stations. That results from nonlinear effects at the point of overload of the RF stage.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Al

Enlightened
I did some experimenting today and my sample doesn't seem to have an overload issue as far as I can tell.

Thank you for your patience ... I've considered getting a ccrane-ep for a while but was put off by mixed reviews. One last question: do you experience station drift with yours - having to re-tune a station while listening?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've considered getting a ccrane-ep for a while but was put off by mixed reviews.

I wouldn't hesitate with anything in the current CCrane lineup; Mr. Crane's dream of an entire catalog of historically good receivers has definitely come to fruition as of late, some of these models are on par with the 70's-80's era/$200+ legends-of-EBay radios..

In other news: Radio Shack Insane Clearance Update: The ~$150 Grundig G2 may or may not be found at your local store for $40.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the CCRadio EP but returned it because of drift, scratch tuning knob and noisy power adapter. I then went to the Sangean PR-D5 which eliminated the problems of the EP but lacked it's selectivity.....what to do.

I picked up the CCRadio 2E about a month ago when they had a small discount on them and it's by far the best on AM I have tried so far, it works for me YMMV :)

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Thank you for your patience ... I've considered getting a ccrane-ep for a while but was put off by mixed reviews. One last question: do you experience station drift with yours - having to re-tune a station while listening?

Yes, it does seem to drift a bit. Not as bad as my SRIII though...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I picked up the CCRadio 2E about a month ago when they had a small discount on them and it's by far the best on AM I have tried so far, it works for me YMMV :)

Is the 2E a better performer than the last gen CCRadio's?

Bill

Blueskies123

Newly Enlightened

At $160 bucks it is a bit of a concern about all the failing units. A one year warranty seems a little short if it truly is a high quality radio. Is there any way to get a two or three year warranty?

Lampbeam

Newly Enlightened
My vote is for the Sangean DT-220A with Lithium batteries. Don't use alkaline batteries because when the apocalypse comes your radio won't work and when you open the battery compartment you'll find your batteries have leaked. No, it's better to use lithium batteries instead so you don't missout on the apocalypse news. You know, important things like what radio active areas to avoid and how to grow giant mutated vegetables. Also, you might want to wrap your radio in some lead foil to avoid electromagnetic pulse.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In other news: Radio Shack Insane Clearance Update: The ~$150 Grundig G2 may or may not be found at your local store for $40.

Darn it. Christmas fund all used up this year. Oh well, there's always next year. I can wait ...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
My vote is for the Sangean DT-220A with Lithium batteries.

The 220 was discontinued some time ago; I'm a fan of the DT series though, the 220 was the only one that rectified the goofy interface that the other models are still stuck with. The CC Pocket has since swept the segment.

Darn it. Christmas fund all used up this year. Oh well, there's always next year. I can wait ...

Eh, it's not that good a unit anyway. Get that G6 from your dad, that's better than anything Grundig makes now..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Eh, it's not that good a unit anyway. Get that G6 from your dad, that's better than anything Grundig makes now..

Thanks for the heads up. Dad absolutely still loves his G6. So that's not an option.

(BTW, excellent memory you've got there. :thumbsup:)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Thanks for the heads up. Dad absolutely still loves his G6. So that's not an option.

(BTW, excellent memory you've got there. :thumbsup:)

That's like the grand slam of gift giving, to give your own father one of those really basic pieces of "things you need" man-tools and have him prefer it over what he already had. You could buy him a Ferrari and he'd like it as a toy, or buy him a yacht he'd enjoy from time to time, but to know you provided him with the one necessary piece of equipment that'll still be bringing him daily news and programming years from now, can't beat that..

Al

Enlightened
Hi-tech, low cost marvel: Tecsun PL-118

Really compact. Sound is what you would expect from so small a radio. FM only reception is very good with the DSP chip. ETM scan stored 47 stations in less than 30 seconds. All additional functions (clock, sleep timer, alarm, ETM) work flawlessly and at 100 x 60 x 17mm this is TRULY a shirt pocket radio.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi-tech, low cost marvel: Tecsun PL-118

Really compact. Sound is what you would expect from so small a radio. FM only reception is very good with the DSP chip. ETM scan stored 47 stations in less than 30 seconds. All additional functions (clock, sleep timer, alarm, ETM) work flawlessly and at 100 x 60 x 17mm this is TRULY a shirt pocket radio.

Wow Al, that truly looks interesting. It's really feature laden and as the Brits say, cheap as chips. Too bad it's FM only.

I have more radios than I know what to do with but I'm a sucker for tiny radios with an external speaker and pull-out external antennas. Thanks for the "heads up" and it looks like I'll have to get the orange and black one! :)

Edit: Orange one on the way! :)

Last edited:

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link to the review StarHalo.

The Tecsun PL-880 looks like a solid performer and I would love to have one but the inability to listen to the radio while charging seems somewhat odd for a radio in this price range. I have the same issue with my Tecsun PL-398BT, the background noise basically makes the radio unusable while charging.

Maybe not a big deal but I don't understand why Tecsun is staying with the old style USB charging port. It would be a lot more convenient if Tecsun would change to the micro USB port so you could charge the radio with your phone charger and not have to worry about carrying extra cables while traveling.

I also have mixed feeling about using an 18650 battery, Jay in his review mentioned the run time was great but the 18650 battery is not very common for most users. If you want to use the radio continuously or if the battery dies and you want to keep listening to the radio then you would have to invest in a charger which can support 18650s and buy an additional battery. I have a few extra 18650s but only because I have a FourSevens Maelstrom MMX but I would imagine most people do not.

BTW did anyone get or give a radio for Christmas? I gave my sister a Sangean CL100 weather radio.

Latest posts