Smart Car is coming

Would you purchase and drive a Smart Car?

• Yes, I will buy one for sure!

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Maybe, it depends on the cost.

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • Probably not, maybe if gas gets to $5 a gallon.

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Not a chance, that thing is a death trap!

Votes: 33 45.2%

• Total voters

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sable said:
They were apparently quite popular in London? I saw a lot of them, at least.
They are very popular in any large european city you care to name.

That said, me and mine are happy with the size and power (If not the efficiency) of our Mazda 3 and Chrysler 300
I assume you don't get the 1.6 litre diesel-powered Mazda 3 there? I have one and it has spectacular fuel efficiency. I'll sell it shortly, because I can't afford to maintain a car and a bike, but I heartily recommend it to anyone who wants fuel economy.

Flashlight Enthusiast
ikendu said:
Some of you foks really owe it to yourself to actually drive a VW Golf or Jetta diesel.
There's so much opinion here about "puddle jumpers" and poor handling and low power.

I have tried a Jetta, but it was the 5-cylinder model. It had acceptable power, smooth engine (wasn't as shaky vibrating as most 4 cylinders), and average ride quality. Interior materials were excellent quality I feels. If I had to have a puddle jumper, the Jetta would be one of the few that pass.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
On the big car VS small subject;

My for F150 4x4 will probably crush most small cars in a suitable accident. An F350 will probably crush my truck. A semi will probably crush an F350.

However;

In the last 35 years, I've never run into another car. I was rear-ended once while sitting at a light in a Dodge colt hatchback. I was the 4th car in the chain reaction, and we were not hurt. I only knew a hand full of people personally that were involved in multi-vehicle accidents. Some were fine, others died.

The point is that although the survivability is a concern, it's not #1 on my list. Accident avoidance is much more important to me. If I can avoid that swerving 18 wheel truck my chances of surviving go way, way up.

The smart might be OK for a second car, but I already have a Prius for general use and long trips, a 4x4 pickup for hauling stuff (a few hundred miles a year) and my wife's Camry (which is paid for) when we both need to drive at the same time.

I guess I'm still not buying one.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original smart is ugly as it gets. But we have a Smart Roadster available here in europe that is kinda cute.

mccroa059xo5.jpg

mmcsmartroadsterxxae2.jpg

smartroadster010hl6.jpg

lsdsmartroadster1wu6.jpg

lsdsmartroadster1ev3.jpg

Ok, the last one is obviously tuned. I wouldn´t buy a smart, doesn´t matter if roadster or ordinary smart.

Eric

Last edited:

knot

Banned
Eric242 said:
The original smart is ugly as it gets. But we have a Smart Roadster available here in europe that is kinda cute.

mccroa059xo5.jpg

Now that's more like it but this would be even better: http://thekneeslider.com/motorcycle-powered-cars/

Many 600cc sportbikes produce over 100hp and 1000cc liter bikes develop over 150hp. The Suzuki Hayabusa comes in around 175hp and thanks to a well developed aftermarket, the big 'Busa can be turbocharged, given the big bore treatment and, of course, fitted with nitrous, for unbelievable horsepower gains. At a recent horsepower shootout, one well massaged Hayabusa cranked out over 700hp!

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Gunner12 said:
I think the only reason people in the US won't buy the smart is because of it's small size. Somehow they think bigger = Safer.
Have you ever read the article Big & Bad - How the SUV Ran Over Automotive Safety by Malcolm Gladwell? It ran in The New Yorker back in '04.

One of the telling tests he mentions is doing an "avoidance" maneuver - think in terms of a kid running out into the street unexpectedly - in both a Chevy TrailBlazer and a Porsche Boxter. I don't think anyone will be surprised that he was able to successfully avoid a collision at much higher speeds in the Boxter. For some reasons, many Americans are hung up on "survivability" when the ability to AVOID a collision in the first place is vastly more important.

That's why I leave perplexed SUV drivers in my wake when I tell them that I feel much SAFER in my nimble Civic EX than I would in some lumbering SUV.

22hornet

Enlightened
This is my Smart Roadster
In the first picture it was very dirty - sorry for that - but it was during a hunting trip in England in very bad weather.

L1020326small.jpg

L1010807.jpg

The other Smart, the small Smart - the Fortwo - actually rides quite well on the freeway.

Kind regards,
Joris

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh no! I will not buy it! it only has 3 nuts holding each wheel! Bummer! LOL:lolsign: Nice looking car!

AlexGT

kavvika

Enlightened
Shame, I'd like a Smart Roadster. Wish they bought that over here.
I miss small cars :(

knot

Banned
Biker Bear said:
Have you ever read the article Big & Bad - How the SUV Ran Over Automotive Safety by Malcolm Gladwell? It ran in The New Yorker back in '04.

One of the telling tests he mentions is doing an "avoidance" maneuver - think in terms of a kid running out into the street unexpectedly - in both a Chevy TrailBlazer and a Porsche Boxter. I don't think anyone will be surprised that he was able to successfully avoid a collision at much higher speeds in the Boxter. For some reasons, many Americans are hung up on "survivability" when the ability to AVOID a collision in the first place is vastly more important.

That's why I leave perplexed SUV drivers in my wake when I tell them that I feel much SAFER in my nimble Civic EX than I would in some lumbering SUV.

For most off-roaders, safety isn't about maneuverabilty in dry road conditions. It's about safety on snow/mud covered roads or where the road ends.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Smart Roadster is cute looking and RWD, but it's powered by the same hamsters-in-a-wheel engine of the ForTwo.
You have to get the Brabus version to get some horsepower, but it's much more expensive, and even then you don't get screaming performance, just half-decent.

But that's a car I'd want to see with a Hayabusa engine...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The early Smart Car sold in Canada had a noisy diesel engine (not as bad as ye olde original VW bug with the 2 stroke engine but worse than a VW diesel Rabbit), no zip (or as the Mazda crowd would say no zoom let alone zoom zoom), Tall for it's wheelbase. Haven't seen one with the new gasoline engine yet.

Strictly a town car. GREAT FOR DRIVING AROUND LA if YOU DON'T USE THE FREEWAYS.

I'm staying on the bus.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Biker Bear said:

Thanks for the link, very intresting article.

The Smart is meant to be a town/city/commute car. It's not meant to be a long distance cruiser or a 'feel safe' car. In a city it might be better to walk, ride a bike or take the public transport.

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
I like the FourTwo better than the FourFour. I think it the perfect "city car". Gas was $3.19 a gallon this morning...

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me being 6'4" I'd need the sunroof option. On the plus side with the windows down maybe I could spider crawl into tight parking spaces.