• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SMJLED PR Bulbs In Stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbie, yes, the bulb I got from the Shoppe has stamped into it the following...

S.S.2Cell

Here are some photos of the Lighthound and Shoppe bulbs side-by-side...

Lighthound vs. Shoppe, stamped labels visible.
img-smj-pr-lighthound-vs-shoppe-labels.jpg

Lighthound vs. Shoppe looking into the emitters.
img-smj-pr-lighthound-vs-shoppe-upright.jpg

Same source photo as above, but contrast enhanced.
img-smj-pr-lighthound-vs-shoppe-enhanced.jpg

Now as I minored in college in engineering statistics (operations research), please forgive all the speculation but that's how my mind works! IMHO the evidence presents a strong case that these emitters are in fact identical, save for the tint difference in the output. That doesn't suggest WHY this is the case, however! Many scenarios possible... to offer a few...

1. Shoppe is misrepresenting their merchandise. I'm not convinced this is the case... at least not intentionally! They may think they have one part, but in fact received another. Lots of variations on this general theme.

2. Manufacturer delivered a different part than promised, either through some mixup or intentionally. Los of sub-themes here as well... get 'em out the door quick, clean out old stock first, etc. Trouble is, if the Shoppe paid for part X and got part Y, well... you fill in the blanks.

3. Part is correct but the specs are misrepresented, overstated, etc... or the part or circuit is defective in some way, limiting the output.

There are more possibilities, too. Sitting here in the humble little Milky Labs, I can't know WHY these things are the way they are, but I can see with reasonable degree of confidence that the bulbs ARE for all intents and purposes identical.

BTW, sorry for the poor macro photography. My camera isn't what one would call a star performer in macro mode. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to upgrade. Anyone want to sponsor the Milky camera fund by purchasing a few mods? :whistle:

NewBie said:
Did you order the newer ones from the Shoppe, the ones labeled as SMJLED2 PR SS? On the side of the part, you will notice that the base, besides 2 Cell stamped into it, you will also see SS.

One of the cpf'ers had the same experience as you, same output.

I got one myself and did a mini-review:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/128801&page=1&pp=40

*Retired*
milkyspit said:
Newbie, yes, the bulb I got from the Shoppe has stamped into it the following...

S.S.2Cell

1. Shoppe is misrepresenting their merchandise. I'm not convinced this is the case... at least not intentionally! They may think they have one part, but in fact received another. Lots of variations on this general theme.

3. Part is correct but the specs are misrepresented, overstated, etc... or the part or circuit is defective in some way, limiting the output.

Nice photos, btw!

I don't know that you can blame it on the Shoppe, they just sell the parts, it is ArcMania that is providing them for sale on the Shoppe webside, so I'd figure he'd be the man you'd want to ask about this specific issue.

TrueBlue said these SMJLED2 PR SS were CREE XLamp parts. He also mentioned that the new MiniMag drop-in that uses this new SMJLED2 is was 65% brighter.

Then ArcMania clearly restated that these SMJLED2 parts actually used CREE 1W XLamp Dies (the chip part inside that makes the light).

I asked ArcMania about this in one of the threads, but I have not heard anything back yet.

In my review of the SMJLED2 PR SS, I found the new SMJLED2 PR SS does not even have CREE die in the part whatsoever:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/128801&page=1&pp=40

As to what gives, I really have no idea, I am waiting for him to elaborate on this subject, here (see post 107):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/127907&page=3&pp=40

My disection:
arcmep.jpg

A CREE 1 Watt XLamp die for comparison purposes:
creed2.jpg

Last edited:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
milkyspit said:
...I can see with reasonable degree of confidence that the bulbs ARE for all intents and purposes identical...".
I agree that the bulbs are identical. Further, these are not the old SMJLED bulbs, since these only have one wire per side, while the older ones have two two clearly visible wires per side.

I think the most likely scenario is that Lighthound received a batch of the new bulbs for some as yet unexplained reason. Possibly an accident on the part of the manufacturer.

I would still like to see a direct comparison of beamshots from the old and new versions of this lamp.

*Retired*
nikon said:

I agree that the bulbs are identical. Further, these are not the old SMJLED bulbs, since these only have one wire per side, while the older ones have two two clearly visible wires per side.

I think the most likely scenario is that Lighthound received a batch of the new bulbs for some as yet unexplained reason. Possibly an accident on the part of the manufacturer.

I would still like to see a direct comparison of beamshots from the old and new versions of this lamp.

I think you missed the point. The new ones (SMJLED2 PR SS) are the ArcMania/TrueBlue parts that are purchase thru the Shoppe. As I understand it, it was an exclusive deal, as they'd mentioned in the thread. Dat2zip said these new ones were also constant current regulated. So they were brighter, also had constant current regulation, and clearly marked SS on the side by the manufacturer.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
NewBie said:
I think you missed the point...

I don't believe I did. Milkyspit raised several questions, to wit...

-Are these bulbs the same as or different from the old ones?

-Are the bulbs from the Sandwich Shoppe different from the ones from Lighthound?

-If they're the same bulb, how could that happen, since the Shoppe is supposed to have an exclusive?

-Have the bulbs been misrepresented, and if so, by whom?

I understand that certain claims were made for them regarding their components and capabilities. I'd bet a whole lotta money that no one connected with CPF or the Shoppe has knowingly misrepresented them.

Marlite

Enlightened
I am disappointed that Senior members Newbie and Milkyspit whom we "newbies" look up to for advice and knowledge have decided to pitch their battle against Arcmania, True Blue and the Sandwich Shoppe in Lambda's Sales Thread!
Are you guys implying that Lambda's also part of the "alleged deception?" If not the honorable thing to do would be appologise and vindicate him and start a new thread elsewhere. There seems to be a lot said between the lines and alliances are visibly shaping up left and right.

Newbie seems to have issues with Arcmania and True Blue and post's his Mini Review link at every opportunity here and (elsewhere) and has dominated Lambda's thread since 1st posting with post #291. He may be right, but is very tenacious?

I have ordered the SMJLED from both True Blue and Lambda as have many CPFrs and been exceedingly pleased with the service and bulbs, from both of them and am just miffed with the tenor and sniping this formerly pleasant, informative thread has taken.

Seems very unfair to me to use Lambda's Sales thread to question Arcmania, True Blue and The Sandwich Shoppe's credibility! Go to their sites, or start a new thread or post on your own sites!

I find it strange that in Milkyspit's excellent pics (shown below) re Lighthound VS Shoppe the Shoppe's bulb in side view is larger and not aligned while others in post 301 are in alignment. The Lighthound view looks identical to my SMJLED's stamped 2 Cell, W/4 wire die by comparison and Lighthound's site does not mention New SS 2 Cell.

Pax Vobiscum, Marlite

Re: SMJLED PR Bulbs In Stock! Newbie, yes, the bulb I got from the Shoppe has stamped into it the following...

S.S.2Cell

Here are some photos of the Lighthound and Shoppe bulbs side-by-side...

Lighthound vs. Shoppe, stamped labels visible.
img-smj-pr-lighthound-vs-shoppe-labels.jpg

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
GJW said:
Can't we all just get along?..
Hear, hear. like...it's just a freaking LED bulb.

The old SMJLED PR bulbs were GREAT. I really like the work Arcmania, Lambda, Trueblue, et al have done in this area and I have high hopes for the new bulb, but IT"S NOT A BIG DEAL!

All this dissection is interesting, but kind of irrelevent. Someday, someone will get an output measurement and run time measurement out of the new bulb vs the old bulb (same host - hopefully 2AA so we don't have to wait all month) and then we'll know.

Until then, I just have to give credit to Arcmania, et al for making the effort to develop such a thing and bring it to fruition. Lots easier to talk than to do...

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
>Lots easier to talk than to do...

You got that right.
biggrin.gif

To the credit of Lambda and ARC mania, they actually produce things that work and that we flashaholics can buy and use. In fact, both are known for their fine products and their ongoing commitment to producing something better the next time.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's put some of this into perspective.

I'm advertising what I've been told. Bummer, if it or is not a Cree die (1W) inside the 5mm LED or is. I wish it was, is or might be. Whether it is or is not is not the whole reason why I decided to stock them on the shoppe.

I have evaluated the samples and some of the production parts and their brightness is pretty awesome and comparing them to the 4 die version I measure the new ones brighter with an integrating sphere.

I have not tested the regulation of the bulb so I can't comment on this. Again, I was told it was regulated.

It highly possible that the person MJ gets his LEDs is not on the up and up. I don't know. It's also possible the end manufacturing has pulled a fast one and switched not only the LED, but, possibly the electronics as well. Anything is possible when dealing with a low cost offshore production part. Again, bummer, if this is the case. I don't know.

All I know is the brightness of these new SS PR bulbs are brighter than previous MJ PR bulbs and based on the brightness and beam quality is why I decided to stock them.

Bummer, if it is not a CREE, but, that doesn't change the brightness readings and beam quality I see.

It may seem like false adverstisement, but, consider how much time and effort someone went through to setup the offshore production and generated a product that is sooo low in cost. C'mon folks. I know if I made the PR bulb or something similar here in the states I'd have to charge 4-5X the cost that we are selling them for. There's no way I could even produce them (my cost) for the retail price they are currently at.

I know we would all like the truth in adverstisement, but, if you don't like it, don't buy it. On the other hand, if the product has merit then let it be.

I'd say I've have a personal stake in this and I've chunked down a considerable investment to stock them for CPF'ers and general public consumption.

Continue to bash, haggle for the total absolute truth or debating the subject may taint the effort that the few of us have ensued and would even be considered down the road as part of the risk factor one will consider with future product offerings. I would have to say that if this turned to a sour duck based on some of the converstations here foreworth that I will seriously take a harder look before considering another CPF'ers offering of a modded parts or accessories in the future.

If you believe wholeheartily that you can do it better, please step forward and put that effort towards another great product we all CPF'ers can be proud of.

-Wayne

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
This is/was a "sale" thread posted by one of our dealers. It has been thouroughly trashed and there are CPF Rules & Policies against trashing sale threads. Further discussion should be conducted in more appropriate Forums (Reviews/LED).

This thread is closed for review...

Status
Not open for further replies.