Smooth or o.p. reflector for off-road?

Pierce the Night

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting a Fenix L2D CE Premium Q5 to use on my mtb. I'll be on unlit roads and non-technical, familiar trails. Will it make all that much difference which type of reflector I choose? Thank you, and safe riding.

Pierce.

FrontRanger

Newly Enlightened
Hi Pierce,

I have that light in the orange-peel reflector version, and I don't have the smooth version to compare, so I can't answer directly. But I can say this: the beam is narrow enough that I find myself wishing it was broader when I'm on a trail or path with many tight turns. Given that the orange-peel reflector will increase the amount of spill, I would suggest that one for your purpose if both are available to you. I got mine along with a Twofish mount at Fenix-store.com with the CPF8 discount code (8% off).

Stephen

Pierce the Night

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Stephen: orange-peel it is, then. Thank you, too, for the mention of the CPF discount from Fenix Store: most welcome! And more thanks for the observation re the (Fenix L2D-CE's) still-too-narrow beam (for off-road cycling). So can anyone recommend a flashlight with a good 'flood' that'd complement the throw of the Fenix?

Pierce.