so my car got broken into

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
carbine15 said:
That's what pepper spray and stun guns are for. :whistle:
You'll likely be charged with assault; that and your car seat will never smell the same once he "unloads" in defiance.

Cliffnopus

Enlightened
Two words - Magna Volt.

"MagnaVolt - The final word in auto security. No embarrassing alarm noise, no need to trouble the police... And it won't even run down your battery!"
Contact; Omni Consumer Products for price and availability.

Cliff

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also file the report by dialing 311. Reports for property crimes have been filed this way for many many years (actually decades) in major cities. San Jose is the 10th largest city in the country with a police department that has one of the lowest officer to citizen ratios in the country for an urban city. (just goes to show that even crooks can't afford to live here :) ). Now honestly, what do you suppose the liklihood of catch someone who perpetrated an auto-burg would be, and would the results be worth the effort expended? (Strange as it may seem, even governmental department heads have to make business decisions these days.)

Insofar as selling off stolen goods, eBay seems to be a popular place these days. Flea market on Berryessa is not; too many cops and the occasional Fed.

QUOTE=LowBat]Your lucky to even get a cop to come out. Where I live you can either file a report by going to the station or on the internet, and that report is only used for insurance purposes as they don't bother to investigate property crimes.

We pay all these taxes and yet the few times we actually need public service it's considered a low priority due to staffing shortages. It's low-lifes like the one that broke into your father's truck who drain the system by relying on social services rather than actually working; that and selling off the stuff he stole from the truck to finance his drug habit.[/QUOTE]

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brighteyez said:
Now honestly, what do you suppose the liklihood of catch someone who perpetrated an auto-burg would be, and would the results be worth the effort expended?
How about if a checkbook was stolen from the car and every single check was used at local stores, and several collection agencies are sending you letters. Add to it that store security cameras were in place at several of the locations where the checks were used. Add to it that a cell phone was purchased with one of the checks and when that cell phone is called it is answered by a woman.

Will the San Jose Police finally investigate a property crime that has escalated into multiple counts of fraud with some good leads. Nope, and the nightmare isn't going to stop until the checkbook runs out. This happened to a fellow CPFer I know.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
At that point, the fraud case is a different crime than the property crime and it may involve multiple departments at different levels, and it wouldn't just be SJPD at that point. I'm sure they would be actively investigating at that point, but that is a question that is best directed to them; I don't work for SJPD (though I was something like within 15 days of starting before I decided to accept the offer from a private sector company.)

Insofar as the 'fellow CPF'er' I don't know why they didn't just close the checking account like most people who lose a checkbook do. The banks are usually very cooperative in assisting customers in those situations, because the bank is the one that is on the hook if they pay those checks, not the customer.

And ... while I am aware that there are now collection agencies who have less scruples that the limited brain power of the people that they hire out of the shelter, the only person that would be dumber would be their client who could even imagine that they could send a claim to a collections on a stolen check. Most legit collections agencies would just bounce those back to the client.

And with regards to agencies that have limited funds and resources, I would have thought that you would have been sympathetic given the state of your own agency. Or the other way of putting it, you're not alone. :(

LowBat said:
How about if a checkbook was stolen from the car and every single check was used at local stores, and several collection agencies are sending you letters. Add to it that store security cameras were in place at several of the locations where the checks were used. Add to it that a cell phone was purchased with one of the checks and when that cell phone is called it is answered by a woman.

Will the San Jose Police finally investigate a property crime that has escalated into multiple counts of fraud with some good leads. Nope, and the nightmare isn't going to stop until the checkbook runs out. This happened to a fellow CPFer I know.

pathalogical

Enlightened
Your checkbook !!! I hope the first thing you did was notify your bank, especially with all this identity theft going on. Not to mention the possibility of the thieves trying to bounce a few checks. My car got broken into at home in the driveway too. They were looking for stereos, amps and speakers. I'm not into that stuff and all they got was a couple of dollars in change. Most likely it was a local job from neighbourhood kids...or worse...someone you know and knew exactly all the stuff you had. Keep an eye on eBay !!!

SheDevil

Newly Enlightened
Since it was my checkbook that was stolen this is the story. LOW BAT gave you the short version.
They smashed out my car window to get to my purse. They took my wallet which contained credit cards, drivers license and check book. And MY Fenix L1P !! I always put my purse in the trunk of the car when we hike and on this night I didnt. It taught me an expensive lesson.
Unfortunatly the stores dont know if an account is closed. The checks are sent to collection because they are UNPAID by the bank because the account is closed.
The stores were taking my ID and writing them on the checks ie drivers license number. Which shows you that store clerks do not verify pictures on ID to who is standing in front of them.
When the police report was made via e-mail and then calls to the police for every check that came from a collection agency to report it as fraud. Some how the name on my report was changed. It took an act of GOD to get a supervisor to change the name to MINE again. And even then it is just penciled over the typed name of someone else.
I even had the phone number and had talked to the poeple who stole my purse. This info was reported to the police. This happend in May, I have never been contacted by police to this date.
So be aware of the numbers on the checks you carry around. Make sure you know which credit cards you have and who to call to cancel them.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
That certainly explains a little more of it. But don't beat yourself up too much, people in this area do tend to leave themselves open for smash&grabs by leaving things of obvious value in plain sight. Though most would not do that if they were in San Francisco or Oakland, or even in the next closest city of any size, Fremont. The most popular items are laptops that are most often found behind the driver's seat.

It's not exactly a secret that store clerks only write down the ID number so that the business owner can say they "checked for ID". Many store clerks would probably match your photo ID to that of another person if they were to use that picture to pick out the owner in a line-up. The one that I find even more hilarious is when a store clerk tries to compare signatures. If they could do handwriting analysis, I don't think they'd be working as a cashier! :)

One mental giant at one of the nation's top 10 retailers decided that my signature did not match the one on my credit card, ... or my driver license, and eventually didn't even believe a municipal agency id. As a matter of fact she was still determined to argue about it after one of her leads came over, addressed me on a first name basis, and asked the cashier if there was a problem. I think she was still disputing things after my friend who worked at the store said that he would vouch for me :crackup:

Not sure why the PD wasn't interested in the phone number or the fact that you had spoken to the individuals unless the phone was a throw-away cell (and worse yet, one that may have been purchased with one of your stolen checks!)

Don't know why someone couldn't get an estimated range of the checks ... unless you're like my wife and carry remnants of various checkbooks and loose checks in your purse.

Actually some credit card companies and banks are very good about spotting unusual activity in your account and often take the action to shut the account down on their own if they can't get a confirmation that it is you making the transactions. I once left my ATM card at the bank and didn't notice if missing for about 5 days. When I called the bank, it turned out that they had closed the account 3 days earlier and had been trying to contact me for all of those days (days before cell phones and voicemail, and the answering machine was off.) Similarly I have had my activity on an American Express card questioned when it was being used in a country that I had not been to before and had to give AMEX a few confirming answers over the phone when checking into the hotel.

SheDevil said:
Since it was my checkbook that was stolen this is the story. LOW BAT gave you the short version.

I always put my purse in the trunk of the car when we hike and on this night I didnt.

Which shows you that store clerks do not verify pictures on ID to who is standing in front of them.

I even had the phone number and had talked to the poeple who stole my purse. This info was reported to the police. This happend in May, I have never been contacted by police to this date.

So be aware of the numbers on the checks you carry around. Make sure you know which credit cards you have and who to call to cancel them.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've caught three car prowlers in my time as a security officer. One I followed 5 blocks on the radio relaying position and descritption to local police until they finally caught them. The other I took a picture of the perp, and copy of his drivers licence with name and address when I caught him looking into windows in my parking garage. (I wanted to catch him in the act but he saw me). One was trying to lift the handle of MY personal car. I gave the 13 year old kid a severe toung lashing and sent him on his way in tears.

mccavazos

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the kind words and concern. I spent two hours on the phone with bank early Saturday morning, and got disconnected. I called back, and was disconnected again after 20 minutes, so I just went into the bank the first chance that I got. They canceled all of my checks, issued me new ones, and left a note on my account for any unusual activity. I was told by the banker that if they tried to use one of my checks, that it would become a federal issue, one that they take very seriously. He even told me a story of a lady that had her purse stolen in a store, she contacted the bank to inform them that her checks were stolen as well. The banker made the same note on the account, and the thieve was in federal custody withing two weeks. It's a hopeful story, I know, but an encouraging one. I appreciate the Christmas Gifts nomination, but I can not accept that. There are people here that need lights much more than I do, but thanks anyway. My father was not at all mad at me, he knew where I was going and what I was doing, he was just grateful that no one was hurt. The broken window was replaced and an insurance claim was filled, though after the deductible it will be a massive $36. I am going to file a claim for my stuff that was stolen in hopes that it will help pay for the new window. I had friends calling me all weekend attempting to cheer me up, and it really helped. Though, I lost a lot of stuff, its just that: stuff. I hope that these people get caught and that they pay for their crimes, but I hope more that after they do, they learn from their mistakes and change their ways. I have also leaned a valuable lesson about what to leave in my car and where to park. I had a bad felling about the place that we were parked and I told other members of the group that I felt that way. I should have trusted my instincts, and next time I will. I will be getting a macbook in January, and had I had it sooner, there would be a good chance that it would have been in my car, so this was a very good lesson. There will no longer be anything of value in my car.

Thanks again for all of the support, concern, and shared frustration,

Chris

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to leave the glove box and other storage areas open to make the car look like it has already been rifled thru. Who wants to break in to a car that has already been cleared out?

pathalogical

Enlightened
greenlight said:
I like to leave the glove box and other storage areas open to make the car look like it has already been rifled thru. Who wants to break in to a car that has already been cleared out?
Now that's a cool idea !!! You can even scatter/place a few items on the floor or seat, a map, owners manual or old cassettes to give it that realistic "break in" look.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
heck, why not break a window and put some plastic over it and rip out the ignition.
Thieves will still look in, try the door knob, look for an alarm, then use something to smash the window so they can pop the trunk.. you're screwed either way. best defense is a loud alarm... or one that pages you when they break in so you can come running weapons drawn.

Latest posts