• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

so what's the NEXT McGizmo light going to be?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
being a newcomer to the CPF I find it hard to keep all the different designations to flashlights clear in my head. Especially for the various McGizmo iterations, which the veterans here seem to understand at a subconscious level!

Now I did check out the websites, forums, etc., on the McGizmo creations and by now understand that S=The Seoul P4 CREE, and the 27 vs the 19 seems to indicate a larger vs a smaller reflector. And Ti of course titanium (I assume everything, not just a bezel or a part of the flashlight).

But what does PD mean? And what batteries are being used? And is it 1 or 2 batteries? And when it is said that the next one might be the mule (I read the descriptions so I kind of follow the philosophy there) does this refer only to a subpart of the flashlight? (e.g., the reflector/head array) but what about the rest of it? (the battery tube(s)) what would that consist of?

These are obviously very basic questions but because people here know these things they are sometimes not as clearly stated.

And, the final question, what will the next batch of McGizmo lights to be offered going to be? (using the specialized model-numbers and perhaps a simpler explanation to go with it!).

Thanks in advance - and also I wanted to thank people who have been posting pictures of their collections in a recent thread, I thought they were beautiful!

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi there ! :D
Just click the FAQ link stickied in the McGizmo forum. It will show you a nomenclature of McGizmo lights and links to FAQs about all offerings to date, current and old.
Including pics, beamshots and runtimes.
bernie

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi flashy bazook welcome to cpf as you are new like my self just click on McGIZMO in the forums good luck
flashy bazook said:
being a newcomer to the CPF I find it hard to keep all the different designations to flashlights clear in my head. Especially for the various McGizmo iterations, which the veterans here seem to understand at a subconscious level!

Now I did check out the websites, forums, etc., on the McGizmo creations and by now understand that S=The Seoul P4 CREE, and the 27 vs the 19 seems to indicate a larger vs a smaller reflector. And Ti of course titanium (I assume everything, not just a bezel or a part of the flashlight).

But what does PD mean? And what batteries are being used? And is it 1 or 2 batteries? And when it is said that the next one might be the mule (I read the descriptions so I kind of follow the philosophy there) does this refer only to a subpart of the flashlight? (e.g., the reflector/head array) but what about the rest of it? (the battery tube(s)) what would that consist of?

These are obviously very basic questions but because people here know these things they are sometimes not as clearly stated.

And, the final question, what will the next batch of McGizmo lights to be offered going to be? (using the specialized model-numbers and perhaps a simpler explanation to go with it!).

Thanks in advance - and also I wanted to thank people who have been posting pictures of their collections in a recent thread, I thought they were beautiful!

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, thanks for the prompt reply, of course I had read through these threads before, but I did it again just now following your post, hoping that I would understand it better.

Let me see then if I understand the situation by summarizing what I read in these FAQ threads relative to my original question:

Current work involves some variation of the Ti PD-S.

OK, so it is not yet known what the size of the reflector will be (I assume either 19 or 27, which will be stated when these lights become available). Or perhaps the mule will be offered which will be something else again.

It will be a Seoul P4 CREE, Piston Drive (so no clicky), Titanium (I am still unclear on which parts will be titanium and which not).

It will use as standard a 1xCR123A (and rechargeable variations thereof), and there is no possibility to alternate tubes.

The driver has a high-low configuration, the low is pretty low (which CPF'rs seem to like), the high pretty high but not pocket rocket. Runtimes exist for the earlier versions (Luxeons) but not yet with the CREE's. There may be a miser option which lowers the high to perhaps 60% of its original high and leaves the low unchanged.

No tritium vials can be requested (used to be an option, no longer available).

Not clear if the belt-attachment can be requested in addition to the belt clip which is standard now.

Anyway, I would still be grateful if someone just went through the above list, agreeing, or correcting, as appropriate!

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably a 20mm reflector for the Seouls as the 19s were optimized for the CREEs.
And the Ti lights are generally all titanium except for the battery, electronics, lens, and reflector. Even the screws that hold on the titanium clip are titanium.
;)

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
flashy bazook said:
It can be daunting, but the FAQ that Bernie linked to above is really great, and after a bit of reading, lets you understand Don's creations.

"PD" means Piston Drive - it's in the place of a tail clicky, and operates the light for momentary on... press slightly for low, press harder for high.

The PD's only take 1 battery - CR123, or RCR123.

The Mule is a new head, on a familiar PD 1x123 body. Don has mentioned the possibility of selling the head separately, but that's only a possibility. The Mule thread has pretty much everything that anyone knows... well, unless you're Don :grin2:

So that's that. As far as Don's next light goes - well, it's going to be the kind that makes light come out the end! :nana:

:) john

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
The Ti PD-S planned will be a titanium version of the PD-S which was how I finished off the last of the original PD's recently.

Specifically, these will be all titanim in terms of exposed metal. 1xCR123 cell. GDx2 driver stock at 525 mA and a mizer option of approximately 290 mA for high will be available for an extra $10. The price on the light now that I mention price will be $440. The LED will be a Seoul P4 of bin UW0I. The reflector is the 20 mm reflector designed specifically for the Seoul P4 (McR-20-S). The Ti piston will have a H3 vial set in it.

The tab option on the PD received such little interest that I stopped offering it. A tab can be user mounted on the clip if one so choses.

The mules are still down the road a bit.

Hope this helps.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
GDx2 driver stock at 525 mA and a mizer option of approximately 290 mA for high will be available for an extra $10.
How is stock 525mA and 290mA is high ? Which is a "Mizer option" ?

Cheers !

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks to all for the helpful responses, they plus some extra reading and I think I understand (or at least, misunderstand less) what the situation is.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
bombelman said:
The Mizer is 290ma High, which gives it around the same brightness as the old school PD's, but ~3hrs runtime... the stock is 525mA high, which should yield around the same runtime as the old school PD's.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
bombelman said:

Cheers !
The difference between Mizer(290mA) and Non-Mizer (525mA).

BUT, keep in mind the mizer runs for 180 minutes on high, where the Non-Mizer only goes for 100 minutes, approx.

My Pics w/ jch79's slide show. :)

psmpdiu4.gif

charlesn

Enlightened
Don, apart from the new LED, will the Ti PD-S lights be changed in any way from the Lux version? I was very impressed with the way you subtly but significantly evolved the design of the Ti-27 head, moving to a crenalated "non-bezel" construction and changing the position of the dimples to improve the overall look.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Charlesn,
The Ti PD-S will have 8 miled flutes and look like a shorter version of the XR19 head. The head of the McLuxIII T was supposed to have the 8 flutes and not the 6 flutes it resulted with. The Ti PD-S head will look like a 8 flute version of the McLuxIII T head. The crenelated Ti Bezel ring is still used and the same part as has been used previously with many of the 1" OD heads.

I have my wife over here now (she came in yesterday) and my brother showing up today with his wife. This is the time of year I have always devoted to Maui visit and whale and water activities. The next two weeks will be devoted to a great extent to "ocean play". As time and conditions allow during this time, I will be building up an inventory of Ti PD-S lights and I will offer them up when a sufficient number have been assembled.

Now that I reside here, I don't have to pack my vacation time and activities into a specific time slot but I have been letting some prime time and conditions slip by and if I don't take some time out, the season will have passed while I was screwing around with LED's! :eek:

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that your twin brother?

BTW, enjoy the water for me! I'd join you if i wasn't working my buns off
yellowlaugh.gif

McGizmo said:
I have my wife over here now (she came in yesterday) and my brother showing up today with his wife. This is the time of year I have always devoted to Maui visit and whale and water activities. The next two weeks will be devoted to a great extent to "ocean play". As time and conditions allow during this time, I will be building up an inventory of Ti PD-S lights and I will offer them up when a sufficient number have been assembled.

Now that I reside here, I don't have to pack my vacation time and activities into a specific time slot but I have been letting some prime time and conditions slip by and if I don't take some time out, the season will have passed while I was screwing around with LED's!
redface.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Don, I know you'll have fun - don't let it slip by without and regret it later!

(BTW, you're in trouble and you know why! I just need to figure out what my reaction back at you is going to be!! Perhaps I should enlist Larry's help?! :thinking: :D I owe you BIGTIME!! Saying thanks just doesn't seem to work all the way!! :D )

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
by the way, another dumb question, what color is the new McGizmo?

I take it the Ti is not natural? (which would be a kind of dull gray?)

some pics of similar pre-existing products have a kind of golden sheen, but others seem darker.

so what color is it and how is the color achieved on the surface? (does Ti get anozided? etc.)

TIA!