Solar powered fans

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Anybody use one for camping? Ventilating a chicken coop? Attic? Greenhouse?

Am looking to draw hot air from an unpowered shed and was wondering what's out there.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

full disclosure : I don't have that panel, but have the first fan mentioned with the bigger one on its way.

Could be a fun DC project:)

I use a tiny little fan that runs off any battery that has two ends (e.g. it won't run off a 9V platform, but any cylindrical). Works great. But it's only for my tent to blow lightly on my face. Uses very little power.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would say a USB fan and a power bank and a USB compatible solar cell would be a good thing for smaller fans, larger ones likely 12vdc and computer fans could be more of a solution.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I read an article at Instructables that got my attention. Kinda pricey overall but the 9" fan involved moves a lot of air.

Today I made a bit of a natural siphon by creating a vent at one end in the attic area so when the window is open hot air rising will suck out of the attic. When I started the process it was 126 degrees in the attic. When done it was 96.
It's a start. But I want to electrically draw more air out of the vent. A pair of computer fans might do the trick. I'm just trying to keep it from getting hot enough to potentially be blowing up my lawn equipment gasoline tanks.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you make an opening on the other end of the attic? Is there any way you can provide inflow lower down, like a soffit vent?

I have one of these but not sure how long lasting. Simple solar panel attached might work. Used to be a person could go to Radio Shack to get the proper plug. Rechargeable batteries are another option but this is possibly sounding a little too fiddly.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/O2COOL-1...nLrbyfjDe6z6e_awFKcaAjCbEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

ZXD

Newly Enlightened
I have seen an attic fan that is run from a small 10W solar panel. It was not the highest output put nit ran pretty well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The shed has a 12"x12" window about mid-way down one wall with a "home made" vent in the attic at the other end. It's seventeen 3/4" holes in close proximity covered by window screen mounted on the inside. It seems to siphon pretty well. Yet the holes are hidden from view on the outside by a Leonard sign about 3" away from the vent. It has done surprisingly well at keeping the 'personal' area (where you stand) similar to outdoor temperature.

Not sure whether to build a battery powered set up with a solar charger or just hook up a tiny fan to a solar panel. Trouble is that'll lead to me wanting to have a solar powered shed complete with internet, surround sound and a burglar alarm.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would try it without the battery as when there is no sun out it shouldn't heat up nearly as much I would think.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's what I have in mind.
I'm looking at a "chicken coupe" kit by a company called cooler guys. Many reviews say it doesn't hold up well. That's my biggest concern. $30 for the 1 fan kit, $60 for a 2 fan kit so I wouldn't expect a lot of durability.
Several lousy reviews are based on the user wanting it to be a cooling fan but it's not a cooling fan. It's an air circulator, which is exactly what I seek. Will keep looking around for those types of set ups.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Today I made a bit of a natural siphon by creating a vent at one end in the attic area so when the window is open hot air rising will suck out of the attic. When I started the process it was 126 degrees in the attic. When done it was 96.
It's a start. But I want to electrically draw more air out of the vent. A pair of computer fans might do the trick. I'm just trying to keep it from getting hot enough to potentially be blowing up my lawn equipment gasoline tanks.
If you store your gas in the basement of the shed, and check the temperature there, you'll likely find that it is pretty much the same temp as the ambient temp outside the shed. I suspect that if you go through all the effort to electrically vent the shed, you won't gain much regarding gas storage.

edit: re-reading your post, if you mean the gas tanks that are actually ON the equipment, I ask... aren't they vented? IE don't they have vented caps? If so they won't build up enough pressure to blow up.

I know... when we get a new toy ( in this case a shed) we have to trick it out to make it special... it is just the way we are. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The siphon system has made a difference Poppy. Fuel is stored about knee high but one day when I opened the door on a 95 degree day the fumes were stronger than I was comfortable with. With an open window on one side and Plugger vent in the attic on the opposite side fumes are no longer an issue so my goal may have already been achieved.

It's a metal building that is water tight all around and only had the one window so it had me thinking of a crock pot slow cooler with the lid on. Now when I open the door at mid day the smell of fumes is gone.
Before the Plugger vent, in the evening the entire building was hot enough where you could feel heat radiating off of the metal work bench. Now when I open the door at say sun down air on the inside is about the same as outside.

Yet I'm still intrigued by the idea of small solar powered fans. Idea being Mrs Fixer makes crafts like solar yard lamps from spagetti sauce jars or wine bottles. Part of that involves frosting them with spray paint. Waiting on them to cure in the house was accomplished by storing the items in a card board hat that locks in the fumes. As in a box turned upside down. But my thinking is she could store them on the work bench in the shed and an attic vent fan would help reduce fume buildup over night while the enamel coating cures.

My dad's garage for example has two windows and no attic vent. No soffit vents either. Why he did not vent the attic back in 73 I do not know. But that leads to condensation big time when weather has big changes like in spring or fall. That leads to rusty tools and what-not. My thinking there is a small venting system would reduce the humidity at those times. I need to install attic vents anyway but I figure a bit of forced air powered by a solar panel could lead to less condensation.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hmmm, good luck with the condensation, and please let me know how you make out.

My tools (most of them) are in an unventilated metal shed. Although, it is NOT air tight.
I haven't noted condensation on them, but I use them less frequently, and maybe it dissipates before I go out for them. In my previous house we had a unheated/cooled attached garage. Many times in the morning, I would note condensation on my metal tools, and tool boxes.

WD40 helps to ward off rusting. I'll often, but not always wipe my tools down with some before I put them away. Four years like that and most have survived with no ill effects, some tools that haven't been used and wiped down, do have rust spots.

I guess I should get out there with a good oily rag and get to work. Hmmmm where shall I find the ambition?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a sick relative pass away a few years back and he had a whole bunch of adult diapers left over. We'd open a few and leave them laying around. Kinda funky looking but after a while they'd be all swollen with moisture. We have 2 small electric fans running year round now.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Thought about this a bit,

the fan I mentioned in post #2 GDSTIME-140mm-Brushless-Cooling-Bearings would work better on a 12V solar panel, because a 12V panel usually produces 18~20V directly.
-That brand of fan is very high quality & runs off a wide range of voltage,, so around 18V is all good.

This Richsolar-Black-Portable-Monocrystalline-Marine for $39, plus the fan for like $19 run directly off the panel couldn't be simpler (less than $60 total)
You'd be amazed on the airflow of that fan.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks like the bees knees right there.

+

The curiosity has been giving me ocd, so ordered two of the smaller 12V ~ 20Watt units Richsolar-Black-Portable-Monocrystalline-Marine
going to wire them together in series & make something

..so 24V+ @ 1.25A

Not sure how long it'll take to pay themselves off /$70 tax included for both/
but there could be worse things to invest in. :whistle:

Last edited: