Solar Powered Landscape Spotlights

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently there are some AA powered solar garden lights / camping lights at Walmart.

I have not picked them up yet but it was suggested by someone on a camping van forum that I frequent. (they didn't give a model )

I have some pretty decent low current rate 2850 mah ansman NiMH batteries that I use for similar applications. Thinking about getting some for camp site type stuff.

_________

As far as garden lights - we have had some I think 12 vac or 24 vac lights on a timer that are run through wires to the various gardens. I can't say that it has been all that reliable. Part of the reason is that rodents like the wires, and partly because the lights just are not all that great.
I'm told of an SUV locally where rats chewed the wiring causing around $6000 damage.
It's some soy-based material in the insulation that they are liking.

Dave

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Documented the degradation on the neighbors' lights.

1000002276.jpg1000002277.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If I don't replace the battery twice a year (as in wait until it no longer lights) I see significant loss of light time. Figuring the battery can be recharged 300 times I figure by day 365 it's a bonus if it lights at all.

My biggest issue is the solar panel getting cloudy.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the left image, looks like the thin plastic sheet covering the panel has not been removed (confirm?). Right image looks less good.

Dave

idleprocess

Flashaholic
In the left image, looks like the thin plastic sheet covering the panel has not been removed (confirm?). Right image looks less good.

Dave
Neighbor has since removed them but I'm certain that there was no protective sheet remaining on the larger unit.

Edit: It's actually still out and not a film. I think it's the surface of the solar cell itself sans any lens or window. The apparent bubbles and fold lines suggest there was once film that cooked before being removed.

Attachments

• 1000003588.jpg
    1000003588.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1000003587.jpg
    1000003587.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited: