Some opinions needed [M@g hotwire mod planned]

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I plan to revive my old 6C with some serious incan power. Well, here are my thoughts:

- the light will probably be used in "mid power mode" most of the time (30-60Watts); show-off-bulbs cranking out luminz and even more luminz and low-output-bulbs are mostly for kicks (not said that I don't like those advanced options :eek:)
- I tend to use 4 A123 26650s because I like the flat discharge curve (maybe 4 18650 IMR cells, but then I might not be able to play with some particular bulbs), though I have no dedicated charger yet. I could probably mod my current charger with some diodes not sure if I like this idea or not.
- I will be using a stock Mag size KD SMO aluminium reflector, nevertheless I want to have a bulb that can achive a good throw with it. However, I understand that it won't beat dedicated LED throwers (e.g. XP-E Maglites). Will the 64610 be better for throw than other bulbs in this lumens class?
- low-resistance MOSFET switch w/ some sort of soft start, resistance mods plus inline fuse just in case(?)
- the light should be capable of destroying every other light I have in terms of raw output (well, this should be not that hard; my brightest is a dual-XM-L Mag 2C)

So, what do you think about a 4x A123 + 64610 setup vs. 4x A123/IMR + IRC bulbs (perhaps even 5x IMR if it is possible to stuff them into the Mag)?

Well, I'd like to hear completely different suggestions too if there are some :sssh:

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should use one of JimmyM's regulators. They work great and aren't very expensive.
I have a light with an Osram 64447 IRC @ 18V and it runs for half an hour with stable output (3600 otf Lumens measured in a sphere - brighter than three different Polarion PH50s). Also, because I use a fivemega FM3X head with lots of heat fins and the IRC bulbs produce less heat than normal halogens, the light doesn't get hot when used outside.

The regulators from Jimmy are very flexible and can be customized to your liking including different brightness levels. It will also protect you batteries from over discharging and will soft-start the bulbs.
The only thing you have to keep in mind is that the regulator can only "regulate" (stable output) when the batteries voltage under load is equal to or greater than the bulbs voltage.

If you are not pulling more than 10A from the batteries the best 18650s are probably the ones with Panasonic NCR18650PD cells inside. They have 2900mAh, but can take up to 10A of current. They can be had with or without protection. I use 8 of these in my hotwire.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
4 IMR will instaflash 64610 in low resistance host.
I use 64611 with 12 Eneloops in quad bored 3D M*g with stock switch and tail spring.
IMR 26650 is too fat to fit unbored M*g C and even if you bore the barrel, only 4 will fit. Too short for 5 26650
For 30~60 watt range, you may try 5 IMR 18650 with Hicary JC-5033 (12 V, 35W)
BTW, protected 18650 won't power up high current incand bulbs even if they are rated for 10 Amps.

Last edited: