Spark SL6 800CW (XM-L T6, 2xCR123A/1x18650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
1. When double-clicking the switch in any mode to access Super (Hi) mode, sometimes it unexpectedly
flicker like fast strobe mode.
2. The tailcap switch dosn't work, i.e., can't turn the light on, with a protected button-top 18650 cell
which is a little long & thick because the battery is too tight in the conductive aluminum tube.
The battery fitment issues have been resolved and both switchs work, and w/o the strobe effect that you describe, I'm using Redilast 2900's and the fit is fine now; true very early ones did have an issue, but it's been resolved.
Certainly no issue on mine. I saw no sign of any strobe-like mode, and all cells (including my Redilast 2900mAh, as mentioned in the review) worked with both switches.

I'm not familiar with these digital switches. What kind of tactile feedback do they give when you push them? Do they still click? Is the pressure to push them much less than a standard mechanical clicky switch? Thanks!
They do click, but it is a very small click. They are much easier to press than a normal clicky and only moves a very short distance (less than a mm).
Yes, that is my assessment as well. Some electronic switchs are very soft, with little tactile feedback. The SL6 switches have a noticeable click, but it is still nowhere near a mechanical clicky. These have one of the better feels for electronic switches.

Great review! :sssh: Does the Beam show a Dounut Hole?
No evidence of one on mine either, but of course YMMV.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, another very well done review by selfbuilt.
I was waiting for this review as this light "sparked" some interest for me. Not sure if I'll pull the trigger on it though as my SC600 should be arriving today.
Thanks for the review.

mxzrevman

Newly Enlightened
i just got mine in the mail today
nice fit/finish, feel nice too

just have to wait for the back ordered batteries :(

Fatso

Newly Enlightened
Awesome review and pictures!!
I just got my ST6-460NW and I love it!!
Now I need a SL6........

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
FYI, Spark confirms that their lights are current-controlled at all levels. So I suspect HKJ is correct in his assessment of the high frequency noise we both observed on the Lo/Med1 levels of this light (i.e. circuit overcompensating in trying to maintain contant current). In any case, it is not a concern - you will not be able to see it with the naked eye. :)

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Got the light.
First reaction: Wow. Its light as a feather, even with an 18650 cell.
Seems I have gotten used to Ti editions...

Second Reaction: NICE. I bought quite a few lights the last years, but this is the first small light that really blows away my old trusty P3D. Other lights were brigher, but it was always something you needed to have them both side by side.

But not with the Spark. Switching it on on turbo blows the old fenix out of the water. Its really impressive, as a pocket rocket.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The battery fitment issues have been resolved and both switchs work, and w/o the strobe effect that you describe, I'm using Redilast 2900's and the fit is fine now; true very early ones did have an issue, but it's been resolved.

Certainly no issue on mine. I saw no sign of any strobe-like mode, and all cells (including my Redilast 2900mAh, as mentioned in the review) worked with both switches.

Many thanks for the detailed reply. picrthis, selfbuilt! :)

It's good new that Spark resolved the issues and have released new version SL6S.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Yet another superb review from Selfbuilt, though where you get the time is beyond me.

I just ordered the Spark. For those who would prefer a flip-up beam diffuser I located these from Surefire, one of which may fit the Spark (although they are ridiculously expensive!).
http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire-filter-fm14.html

http://www.opticsplanet.net/surefire-filter-fm14.html

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=surefire+flip+up+beamshaper&hl=en&biw=1131&bih=580&gs_upl=1188l5516l0l8266l17l15l0l0l0l0l328l2377l3.9.2.1l15l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2893624265819031259#

One problematic feature seems to be the long time (slow ramp-up) it takes to access any level, unless I have misinterpreted the information. The light's small size and neat gray look is very appealing. I'm looking forward to using it.

Brightnorm

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
One problematic feature seems to be the long time (slow ramp-up) it takes to access any level, unless I have misinterpreted the information.
I wouldn't say that exactly - it is just that it takes a little getting used to the exact timings for on modes. We are basically talking fractions of a second difference to other lights (except zebralight, which is similar). The actual ramp is comparable to many lights.

boudeou

Newly Enlightened
ramping is quicker on SL5 than ST5 or SL6
it's a little slow on the 2 last but not very annoying

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
UPDATE AUGUST 21, 2011: I have now done 100-yard outdoor beamshots, in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up reviews.

SC600-SL6.gif

TDK9

Newly Enlightened
Strange. I thought that Zebra shines weaker and more diffused light than the Spark. :eek:oo:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Strange. I thought that Zebra shines weaker and more diffused light than the Spark. :eek:oo:
No, the SC600 has more initial output than the Spark. It is just that more of it is found in the spill (i.e. look at the foreground nearest the camera). Throw is somewhat higher on the Spark (but neither is particularly throwy). A full reviews of the SC600 will be up in a couple of days.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the SC600 has more initial output than the Spark. It is just that more of it is found in the spill (i.e. look at the foreground nearest the camera). Throw is somewhat higher on the Spark (but neither is particularly throwy). A full reviews of the SC600 will be up in a couple of days.

Thanks for the above nice beamshots. selfbuilt! :)

Will you upload the more pixels of the beamshots for two lights? :naughty:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for the above nice beamshots. selfbuilt! :)
Will you upload the more pixels of the beamshots for two lights? :naughty:
Not higher resolution, but I will post a thread with higher color and clearer JPG versions of the new outdoor images I've done. I do all my editing and pic prep at the 640x480 size (since anything else is unwieldy when converting down to animated GIFs).

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not higher resolution, but I will post a thread with higher color and clearer JPG versions of the new outdoor images I've done. I do all my editing and pic prep at the 640x480 size (since anything else is unwieldy when converting down to animated GIFs).

Thanks again. Selfbuilt!
I understand resizing the pictures. Your beamshots are very heplfup to me. :twothumbs

skatenut

Newly Enlightened
Nice flashlight!

It does become very hot within a short time (approx. 5 minutes) in maximum mode, though. Starts flashing then and switches back to a lower mode. Had a little trouble getting the double-click just right, initially.

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
with AW 2900mAh 18650, whats the normal voltage for the battery to be after after it's been depleted?

Right now my batteries are sitting at 3.97v and I'm just curious to figure out what amount of capacity is left at this point.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
with AW 2900mAh 18650, whats the normal voltage for the battery to be after after it's been depleted?
Right now my batteries are sitting at 3.97v and I'm just curious to figure out what amount of capacity is left at this point.
AFAIK, most protection circuits are set to trigger somewhere ~2.4V (but that's under load). If the protection trips while driving the cell on Hi at full regulation (as the Spark does), it will almost immediately bounce back to somewhere north of ~2.7V, resting. If the light slowly drains the 18650 at lower and lower output levels (as unregulated light do), don't expect the cell to bounce back much at all once the circuit is tripped.

Frankly, those cells should be discarded, as you should never keep using cells that had a sustained voltage lower than 2.7V. Even running up to the protection circuit at full regulation will cause at least a few seconds/mins of <2.7V, which is harmful to cells. This is why the protection circuit is not something you should rely on - cells should be recharged more frequently, to keep their good health. If you trigger the cell's protection circuit, you are shortening the life of your cell (either slightly or signficantly each time, depending on how fast you got there).

Not sure off-hand what to expect at just under 4V resting - the experts in the "flashlight electronics - batteries included" forum may be able to give you a good estimate, though.

Last edited: