Spark SX5 with separate battery pack and multiple battery configurations

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting for Spark to make an 1AA, 90 degree flood, add-on adapter with reflector to give it some throw, XP-G2, with current magnetic add-on to the tail and a clip. BINGO!

Agreed! :twothumbs That would have been the SD5, I think.

I'm afraid they'll go with the "emitter in the center of the body" design, which would make for a very bulky 1AA lamp. But we have word from Jake25 that the SD5 idea is a goner.

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
you guys think it's too big?

Heck yea if you compare it to Zebralight H series. Most of us likes outdoor activities; we like things compact, light weight and easy to pocket or wear. We like to feel like we are not wearing a headlamp at all. Putting on a bulky headlamp makes me look like I work in a coal mine.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never said it was a goner :grin2: but you guys think it's too big?

True, you said it was "scratched." I assumed the rest.

Yes, way too big for a 1AA light. I thought that was an SD6 you were showing for size next to the AA.

asval

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, but. Cant see the pics. Maybe because I am not register?

SFMI4UT

I couldn't see them either, until I registered after doing a little guesswork and some google translate for the question. :grin2:

There's pictures of the light and a couple of beamshots comparing the zebralight SC600 and the spark against a background of what I'm assuming is a projector screen. Would post pictures, but I don't know if our friend would like that.

Good place to look at beamshots.
http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/beamshot-vergleiche/14631-beamshotschiessen-arzt-kommt.html

asval

Newly Enlightened
I managed to find another review that looks promising and makes the lamp rather tempting

http://taschenlampen-tests.de/?p=10343

I would like to know if the 18650 pack can be used with unprotected cells before I decide wether I should but this lamp or just get a 4 sevens quark X AA with the prism kit (plus colored/filter lenses) and the $20 fenix headband. Their both around the same price, but the spark offers battery versatility and amazing running times on moonmode, while the 4sevens/fenix kit offers more versatility in the ways that I can mount the light and it has the colored lenses.

So many desicions and I'd still need to find a way to place a green filter on the spark.:thinking:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the multiple power idea. Looks like an actual reflector to get a practical column of light that shows detail of things more than a few feet infront of you. Both essential.

I wonder what the lux at 1 meter for each setting. The respective tailcap draw (to get idea of runtime and usefulness for detail work) for each configuration.

I would also be more inclined to buy if it were an xp-g2, rather than xm-l (worse color and throw).

Just found this topic, so still need to research price.

On a side note, I just discovered (duh!) that any 3 AA with circular tube can easily be converted into 18650 with plastic epoxy, elastic, and tinfoil!

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting for Spark to make an 1AA, 90 degree flood, add-on adapter with reflector to give it some throw, XP-G2, with current magnetic add-on to the tail and a clip. BINGO!

Agreed! :twothumbs That would have been the SD5, I think.

I'm afraid they'll go with the "emitter in the center of the body" design, which would make for a very bulky 1AA lamp. But we have word from Jake25 that the SD5 idea is a goner.

I never said it was a goner :grin2: but you guys think it's too big?

Any updates/words of a new AA headlamp close to what I mentioned from Spark?

asval

Newly Enlightened
I like the multiple power idea. Looks like an actual reflector to get a practical column of light that shows detail of things more than a few feet infront of you. Both essential.

I wonder what the lux at 1 meter for each setting. The respective tailcap draw (to get idea of runtime and usefulness for detail work) for each configuration.

I would also be more inclined to buy if it were an xp-g2, rather than xm-l (worse color and throw).

Just found this topic, so still need to research price.

On a side note, I just discovered (duh!) that any 3 AA with circular tube can easily be converted into 18650 with plastic epoxy, elastic, and tinfoil!

I've only been able to find some bits and pieces from german reviews.

first
Current consumption:

"Measured with a full Spark 2600mAh Battery:

super: 970mA
High: 500mA
MED2: 74mA
med1: 28mA
low: 1.6 mA

Assuming the burn time cheating with a 2600mAh battery on super probably between 2 and a half hours, depending on how the driver with the decreasing voltage bypasses.I think that's long enough for many activities, especially because of the much lower Leuchtsufen are sufficiently bright.

Speaking of light:

The brightness of a m is measured with a 18650 battery:

super: ~ 1300lux
high: ~ 800lux
MED2: ~ 135lux
med1: ~ 30Lux
Low: not measurable "

second
Transit time 18650-battery (AW, 2.600mAh):
On power: 1,250 lux
after 5 minutes: 1,240 lux
after 15 minutes: 1,230 lux
after 30 minutes: 1,230 lux
after 45 minutes: 1,220 lux
after 60 minutes: 1,220 lux
after 75 minutes: 1,220 lux
after 90 minutes: 1,220 lux
after 105 minutes: 1,210 lux
After 120 minutes: 1,210 lux
after 135 minutes: 1,210 lux
at 150 minutes: 1,200 lux
Then the lamp was slow and barely visible to the eye dark. After 155 minutes turned off the lamp. The battery was removed and gemesen with an open circuit voltage of 3.16 volts. End of the test.
Transit time AA batteries (Sanyo Eneloop, 2,000 mAh): On power: 1,250 lux
after 5 minutes: 1,240 lux
after 15 minutes: 1,230 lux
after 30 minutes: 1,220 lux
after 45 minutes: 1,220 lux
after 60 minutes: 1,220 lux
after 75 minutes: 1,220 lux
after 90 minutes: 1,210 lux
after 105 minutes: 1,110 lux
After 107 minutes and displayed 650 lux turned off the lamp. Open circuit voltage of the battery when removed: 1.03 to 1.11 volts.

Transit time AAA (Sanyo Eneloop, 750mAh):
On power: 1.270 Lux
after 5 minutes: 1,230 lux
after 15 minutes: 1,200 lux
after 30 minutes: 1,170 lux
After 37 minutes and displayed 650 lux turned off the lamp. The open circuit voltage of the battery was removed after 1.08 to 1.11 volts.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So...nobody on this forum bought an SX-5 yet? The price is right at $75, I think.

What holds me back is, often I have to lie on the ground and look up. A battery pack on the back of the head would be seriously in the way. How difficult to relocate the battery pack? Also I'm a little concerned about the wire that seems to be flopping around, not as contained as I'd like it to be. I can see me catching that wire on stuff.

But according to hkequipment.net, 170 lumens for over 4 hours...and 55 lumens for over 14 hrs...on 3xAA, that would be very, very nice.

What's the beam shape? Search-light spot/spill, or work-light flood?

EDIT: Spot/spill, (mostly spot, not much spill) see it here. OK. Nice light, but not for me. Need flood.

This looks like a search/rescue or night-bikers light to me. Competing with the Fenix headlamps.

Last edited:

Elitl

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I just received mine last week.

I bought the optional extension cable too, so I can use it with the battery pack in a pocket. Not too much hassle reallocating.
The long cable is something bothersome (as expected in a no compact headlight, it remembers me the Fenix TK20) but nothing to worry about in my opinion.

I have paired this headlamp with a 26650 from DX, but it can work too with a single 18650 (with a hand made cut tube) 3xAA or 3xAAA.

The runtime is excellent (at least on paper) and the beam is fine for my taste, with a big hotspot and a somehow narrow spill, but usable.

A few pics (sorry, excuse the quality of beamshot)

2D5QS.jpg

Close-up to the led

s86KP.jpg

With the extension cable

wrgjT.jpg

Beamshot at 2,5m from the corner.

FR7BA.jpg

180 days at 0,5 lumens with one 26650...that´s something :cool:

l5f2T.jpg

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
!s the bezel permanently sealed? Or can you pull out the reflector to make it a floody light?

asval

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I just received mine last week.

I bought the optional extension cable too, so I can use it with the battery pack in a pocket. Not too much hassle reallocating.
The long cable is something bothersome (as expected in a no compact headlight, it remembers me the Fenix TK20) but nothing to worry about in my opinion.

I have paired this headlamp with a 26650 from DX, but it can work too with a single 18650 (with a hand made cut tube) 3xAA or 3xAAA.

The runtime is excellent (at least on paper) and the beam is fine for my taste, with a big hotspot and a somehow narrow spill, but usable.

A few pics (sorry, excuse the quality of beamshot)

180 days at 0,5 lumens with one 26650...that´s something :cool:

nice pics, how's the moonlight/lowest mode? can you read with it?

Elitl

Newly Enlightened
!s the bezel permanently sealed? Or can you pull out the reflector to make it a floody light?

A fair question. Yes, it´s possible to remove the bezel and pull out the reflector. However it´s a operation to be done at home because the risk of losing the parts in the process.

I made a few pics

LWRQD.jpg

Yes, the glass (and o-ring) are on, but the o-ring seems to be a bit loose.

0hWpT.jpg

The beamshot has changed to a big cone of light of 80º or 90º (like the original spill) but it´s not a wall of light because the led is recessed into the headlamp.

hbA4t.jpg

nice pics, how's the moonlight/lowest mode? can you read with it?

I suppose that with night adapted eyes it´s possible to read with it, but I have tried and I can barely read with my old eyes...:candle:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. That turns into a very nice flood. And 80 degrees is the angle so many people seem to like for a flood (much groaning at the 120 flood of the new H502). Thanks very much for the experiment and the photo. This light goes back into the "want" list for me.

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
I was skeptical at first, but now I'm considering getting one. The price turned out to be right and it seems quite rugged.

Peter mport

Newly Enlightened
Why is the cree xml in the sx5 only rated at 350 lumens and everyother torch you at look rate at around them at 1000 lumens, I understand that they might of under driven it and if they have why have they done it by so moch ?

Latest posts