Spark SX5 with separate battery pack and multiple battery configurations

rojos

Enlightened
Why is the cree xml in the sx5 only rated at 350 lumens and everyother torch you at look rate at around them at 1000 lumens, I understand that they might of under driven it and if they have why have they done it by so moch ?

Well, "everyother torch" that claims to deliver 1000 lumens don't come close to actually delivering 1000 lumens.

Last edited:

Peter mport

Newly Enlightened
Well, "everyother torch" that claims to deliver 1000 lumens don't come close to actually delivering 1000 lumens.

I wasn't going to about your usual ebay lights I was talking about the reputable companies that have those claims even Cree them self rate it over 1000 lumens.

rojos

Enlightened
I wasn't going to about your usual ebay lights I was talking about the reputable companies that have those claims

Do you have any examples of "reputable" companies that claim 1000 lumens for a single emitter headlamp?

Peter mport

Newly Enlightened
Do you have any examples of "reputable" companies that claim 1000 lumens for a single emitter headlamp?

I know this thread is about a single emitter headlamp, But a was talking about the xml in general be it a head or hand held torch which there are numerous people on here who make and sell them

rojos

Enlightened
I know this thread is about a single emitter headlamp, But a was talking about the xml in general be it a head or hand held torch which there are numerous people on here who make and sell them

What are the names of these "numerous people" who make and sell 1000 lumen single XML lights?

asval

Newly Enlightened
Just bought the Spark from going gear, it was hard to resist for $60 :rock:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could not resist, either. A NW on its way.

It was Elitl's beamshot that got me.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally dislike external battery packs, but the beam profile is very appealing... I like the idea of a narrower beam with a very large hotspot in it. I also find the design aesthetics of the emitter/light-engine housing appealing as well. Sounds like a bargain too.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to semi permanently mount mine to a hat/cap/helmet. Any ideas? I want to just grab the cap/helmet and have it on. The cap/helmet would need to have enough rigidity to hold the headlamp without collapsing (so it would need to be a rigid plastic something-or-other) but lighter than a climbing helmet, because I don't need padding or protection.

Ideas? So far best idea I've had is a bump cap. A hard hat is too high profile.

(And I will be pulling the reflector first thing, flood addict that I am.)

No reports until after Christmas, as someone is 'getting this for me.'

Last edited:

ryguy24000

Enlightened
This looks like a nice headlamp, but I am a little apprehensive to pull the trigger. I have had some bad luck with Spark head lamps. the latest is a problem is with my ST5. Now it won't work properly with NiMh batteries. only goes in the first two modes. No med 2 or high!! My SD52 is very querky sometimes takes multiple tries to get it on. And my first ST5 stopped working with Lion batteries and flickered. These issues forced me to buy Zebra's for Christmas gifts instead of Sparks.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to semi permanently mount mine to a hat/cap/helmet. Any ideas? I want to just grab the cap/helmet and have it on. The cap/helmet would need to have enough rigidity to hold the headlamp without collapsing (so it would need to be a rigid plastic something-or-other) but lighter than a climbing helmet, because I don't need padding or protection.

Ideas? So far best idea I've had is a bump cap. A hard hat is too high profile.

(And I will be pulling the reflector first thing, flood addict that I am.)

No reports until after Christmas, as someone is 'getting this for me.'

You lucky dog! I have to admit I've been feeling the need for more run-time with my H51w and my ST5-190nw, particularly when I'm working in my shop in the garage, or doing chores around the house after dark.

Now I'm torn... I was leaning toward an ST6-460 but the possibility of using AA's is very appealing...

For your uses, B, I'd think a bump cap would be enough to hold the light and battery pack. But are you considering it as a work light? The BP will certainly get in the way then, unless you're going to belt carry it with the extension cable. That might be a solution for me for working in my garage (which is not illuminated nearly as well as I would like) to get the run times I want, and in that case I wouldn't mind the external battery pack. But, I'd never use it for anything else but the most simple or sedentary outdoors activities, like biking, hiking, etc., because the battery pack and cord just get in the way too much for my liking.

Anyway, when you get it, let us know what it's like and how it works for you. I can easily find a justification for getting this light... Yes, Dear... I "needed" it for doing chores and working in the garage at night! Yeah, right... sure, she'd buy that!!!

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That might be a solution for me for working in my garage (which is not illuminated nearly as well as I would like) to get the run times I want, and in that case I wouldn't mind the external battery pack.

Oddly, this very use is what pushed me over the edge. Recently moved, new "old" house, insufficiently lit everywhere (amazing how people used to live), and the garage is lit by a single dim bulb on one wall. I was using all my ZLs on high and swapping out every few hours. Both near AND far work was required, and I kept wishing I had "more power." One of my family got lazy and purchased a gift for herself "from me" so I returned the favor and purchased a gift for myself "from her."

I cheated a little--there is that one-week grace period where you can return/replace a Spark, so I fired it up to make sure it worked. It's sweet; with the reflector pulled, imagine a superbright H501 beam. Plan to run on 3AAs.

Also ordered a bump cap for semi-permanent mounting. It's too large to wear comfortably and unobtrusively on the bare head, IMO.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddly, this very use is what pushed me over the edge. Recently moved, new "old" house, insufficiently lit everywhere (amazing how people used to live), and the garage is lit by a single dim bulb on one wall. I was using all my ZLs on high and swapping out every few hours. Both near AND far work was required, and I kept wishing I had "more power." One of my family got lazy and purchased a gift for herself "from me" so I returned the favor and purchased a gift for myself "from her."

I cheated a little--there is that one-week grace period where you can return/replace a Spark, so I fired it up to make sure it worked. It's sweet; with the reflector pulled, imagine a superbright H501 beam. Plan to run on 3AAs.

Also ordered a bump cap for semi-permanent mounting. It's too large to wear comfortably and unobtrusively on the bare head, IMO.

Sounds like a perfect solution. Now I really want one too! :D I've got a bump-cap sitting down in my garage I could use for it... that'd be a nice alternative to having to carry extra 'loops' in a pocket and swapping one out every 45 min... plus, it'd save me $25 over the ST6-460, as well as the cost of an extra cell.

Let me know how it works out for you, B-ster... if you can get any kind of beam shot for us, please share!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why is the SX5 cheaper than the ST6...

I'd imagine there's less material in the light itself, and less machining that needs to be done, which lowers the overall manufacturing costs.

I'm still torn between the SX5-320nw and the ST6-460nw. I was comparing the run times of them between the 3xAA and 1x18650 and the ST6 beats the SX5 on most settings. Add the lack of an external battery pack, and the higher output, and I'm leaning back toward the ST6-460nw. The main appeal of the SX5 in comparison, as far as I can tell, is the option of the 18650 battery pack for really long run-times, like for caving, and the ease of use that AA's provide.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I'm late with my review. I've been moving residences and just finding the computer, camera, and headlamp in one room is difficult. At any rate I have been using the SX5 quite a bit. Formulating my report.

EDIT: Now posted as Spark SX5 Mini Review.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Link please Bolster, I looked for it but missed it... and search isn't easy on this phone.

dparr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

I just pulled the trigger on a Spark SX5.

I needed a spare caving light and this seem to be just what I was looking for. It might just replace my main lamp. I was surprised that it was only $75.

Now for the wait.