Spec me a cheap 1xAA torch for < $20 from DX

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Of those three G2 is the only one with forward clicky and one of the few at DX.

It is also brighter than at least the MTE but it is almost all spot and a pretty small diameter spot at that.

For a pretty decent 1AA 1 mode light look at dx sku 5332 black or 5346 gray SAIK RC-A3 Cree

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Of those three G2 is the only one with forward clicky and one of the few at DX.

It is also brighter than at least the MTE but it is almost all spot and a pretty small diameter spot at that.

For a pretty decent 1AA 1 mode light look at dx sku 5332 black or 5346 gray SAIK RC-A3 Cree
is the SAIK a forward clicky? SAIK is brighter than Romisen? SAIK is smaller than Romisen?

Darkaway

Enlightened
Rather than risk your money with DX, it would be much wiser to invest the money in lottery tickets slot machines or a wishing well-- much much higher odds of getting something in return. Better yet, just burn it at least you will have light.

That's a very general statement.

And of course sabre, you have personal experience with each and every light DX sells?

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I said exactly of the three (a couple posts above) ONLY the Romisen RC-G2 has a forward clicky. I also said it is one of only a FEW at DX that have FORWARD clicky.

There was NOTHING ambiguious in my earlier post.

NO the SAIK RC-A3 has NO forward clicky. All three of my SAIK 1AA (2 gray and 1 black) have cooler tint and don't SEEM as bright as RC-G2.

But AGAIN RC-G2 has a small tight spot and the spill is just about worthless. SAIK RC-A3 has a MUCH more useful beam.

EDIT: The SAIKS are within a whisker of Fenix 1AA size. They are tubular lights with no anti roll protrutions. They are considerably smaller than RC-G2.

And if you MUST have a forward clicky with a light bright enough for TACTICAL use you are gonna want something besides a 1AA light ANYHOW.

Last edited:

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
I said exactly of the three (a couple posts above) ONLY the Romisen RC-G2 has a forward clicky. I also said it is one of only a FEW at DX that have FORWARD clicky.

There was NOTHING ambiguious in my earlier post.

NO the SAIK RC-A3 has NO forward clicky. All three of my SAIK 1AA (2 gray and 1 black) have cooler tint and don't SEEM as bright as RC-G2.

But AGAIN RC-G2 has a small tight spot and the spill is just about worthless. SAIK RC-A3 has a MUCH more useful beam.

EDIT: The SAIKS are within a whisker of Fenix 1AA size. They are tubular lights with no anti roll protrutions. They are considerably smaller than RC-G2.

And if you MUST have a forward clicky with a light bright enough for TACTICAL use you are gonna want something besides a 1AA light ANYHOW.
Alright dude...calm down...just a damn simple question. :shrug:

FYI, you NEVER mentioned if the SAIK had a forward clicky. In fact, your post was indeed AMBIGUOUS b/c you mentioned the SAIK without mentioning if it was a forward clicky even though you added that a FEW DX lights had the forward clicky. Last time I checked, the SAIK is a light that DX carries so it's possible that the SAIK was a forward clicky.

And who are you to tell anyone that you need a brighter light than a 1AA led light for tactical use? Some of these lights are much brigther than a Surefire P6 and people have been using those dim P6 and its equivalents for decades w/o major complaints. I still have my coworkers using those garbage lights w/ the original incadescent bulbs. Most weapon-mounted lights are dimmer than the P6...

And no one asked you AGAIN if the Romisen was a forward clicky. We understood the first time.

Thanks anyway. :thinking:

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Fine.

When I really think "Tactical" I "see" a push/twist tail and at least 2x123 (or 1 Li-Ion).

I use lights like the SAIK to see what I need to see at work mostly.

I just PLAY with most of my other lights. I USE cheap to run LED lights!

BamAlmighty

Newly Enlightened
If you don't want to go the shipping route, you can get a River Rock 1 watt 1 AA from Target for around $18 and change.

Garnett

Newly Enlightened
A quick note - I couldn't fit my rechargable ASA in my SAIK A3. Not sure if that'll be an issue for you, but I thought it worth saying.

mattblick

Newly Enlightened
Sabre7 please stop trolling - you are laying one unsupported bash post after another about DX and their lights. You are entitled to your opinions but please keep them to yourself unless you wish to give us specific examples of your experience with DX and their products. Please share model numbers and what the problem with it was. How about telling us how you notified DX of your grievance and how they reacted..

Here is an example:
Just last month I purchased a Luma Power Avenger from a USA source. LP doesn't seem to have hordes of trolls coming into threads, neither does the supplier I used. Yet my experience with the Avenger has been quite disappointing. I posted in the Marketplace Mfr Corner thread concerning my problems. I detailed the problems with the light; horribly rough threads that are self destructing, the O-ring not fitting properly, and the mode switching not working properly. My complaints have not been addressed by either the mfr or supplier, both of which have surely seen my complaint. The mfr rep has answered questions in the thread since my post. I and others have had a multitude of problems with this light, and so far the only solution offered has been to mail a foam spacer. If no solution is offered to me by one of them, I won't give either company my business again. I will not however go into threads about their products and make asinine statements such as "burn the money at least you will get light".

DX orders take a long while to arrive. If you can't wait, River Rock products from Target or ROV Sportsman Extreme from Wal Mart are similar products but you will pay more to avoid the wait. The original poster asked for light recommendations from DX and a specific price range, not for unsubstantiated generalizations.

So far I have not received any products from DX that have disappointed me in any way. I ordered a total of 12 flashlights from them last year and each of the lights have turned on with the right size batteries, the O-rings stay in place, the mode switching functions as advertised, and the threads don't sacrifice aluminum dust each time the head is turned.. The same can not be said for my costly LumaPower Avenger. I have had good experience with other higher priced brands; both of my LiteFlux lights have been great and I just ordered my 3rd on Friday.

I have purchased a total of 7 Romisen RC-G2 lights (gifted away 5). I just received a few more a few days ago. The light is extremely sturdy, has excellent threads which are not glued. The 4 O-rings all fit properly and I was able to replace the one at the front bezel with a GITD one. If you want a single AA cell flashlight with one mode and good throw you don't need to look any further. There is a thread here on CPF with many many positive reviews because it is a damn fine light for even twice the price.

I also own 1 AA MTE Rebel 100 light. The light is bright, modes switch, O-rings fit.. The reflector on the one I got was smooth and the beam pattern isn't very pretty when white wall hunting. I believe I read newer ones are textured but confirm that with someone else - mine was smooth. The beam color gets quite blue at the lower levels and is somewhat yellow at the highest level. Later ones should have improved tint; this was one of the first 0100 bin lights out - again check with other's experience. The metal used for the tailcap is thinner than it should be IMO. When I fought the thread glue to replace the rear clickie boot with a glow in the dark one I managed to warp the cap and flare it out at the bottom a bit. My modification resulted in the damage - so if you use it as is this might not be a problem. However I will say I believe this light would be much less likely to survive a big drop than the Romisen RC-G2. The multiple modes and bright floody output at short range are still very useful. This light got moved to headboard duty and serves me well for trips to the bathroom, etc.

I appreciate people sharing the imformation on newer C3s, I had been eyeballing those.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The only DX product I've had any trouble with was a 1995 MTE 1AA Seoul.

It turned out to be connection troubles since cleared up.

The beam on the RC-G2 is rather tight for my taste, but that's not DX's problem.

I came into some bucks and am going to work up another DX order here directly!

AvPD

Enlightened
I also like the XJC-B6 light with 2 modes. It has a broader spot and better spill. It's not quite as bright, but darn close at 60 to 65 lumens with 2 hour runtime on high. They both work very well with Sanyo Eneloops. I bought mine from Kaidomain since the XJC-B6 is a little cheaper. http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=3956

I have the XJC-B6 light with 2 modes. It's close to a C-3 in brightness and the low mode is most useful.

Good to see other XJC B-6 owners. The one KD sent me was black and has a small dead patch on the LED, which creates a black spot in the beam. Apart from that it seems to be a Q2 or at least a P4, and the large hotspot is good for hiking at night.

ultrajr

Newly Enlightened
I also have the XJC-B6 from KD. My first cheapo China light, and I really like it. The contacts were filthy when I got it, causing some serious flickering, but after I cleaned them up the light has been great. I like the longer runtime on high compared to some of the other lights out there, and the low is really perfect for getting around indoors.

meuge

Enlightened
I bought a small 1W AA torch, that didn't last very long so i'm looking for another, not-so-cheap torch that will last a bit longer. I want to spend between $10-20, and ideally it should be 1xAA.

I've read some threads, and looked on DX, and the UltraFire C3 Cree caught my eye, along with the Romisen MXDL RC-G2 and the MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U

Is there much difference between the MTE and the C3? People seem to say the C3 has better build quality, is that true?

Has anyone had experience with all 3?

Also, the extension tube, is that just to add extra capacity? or does it make the torch brighter too?
Ultrafire C3 looks like it would be the most reliable. It has well-lubed dual O-rings, and runs for over 1.5 hours on a single AA.

Romisen has great build quality, and is cheap, which is why it's used so much as a mod host. However, it has a forward clicky switch, which is much more prone to failure than reverse clicky. The Romisen is also rather too dim and too focused for closeup work. It becomes an amazing light when modded, but in its stock form it's not nearly as good. It runs for about 1 hour 20 minutes.

The MTE is reliable, with a great beam shape, and feels rather solid. It's about the same brightness (or a little more) than a stock Romisen, but much more floody. It will run for a little over an hour.

Overall, I'd go for the C3... especially since you can get one with a 2-AA tube.

Unless you want to do the mods... in which case the Romisen gets my vote.

P.S. When I say AA in reference to high-flux LED lights, I ALWAYS mean NiMH rechargeables... namely Eneloops (that's what I do all my runtime testing with).