Special Edition Fenix LOD CE Q2

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my L0D CE Q2 in Natural today. I think it's a great looking little light. I much prefer it to the Black ones of which I have 2. :huh:

Fit & finish is very good. Threading is nice and smooth. The beam is fairly smooth from hotspot to spill and is of a nice, slightly warm tint. Very natural looking. Me likes it!

One thing that I did notice though, is that comparing the beam to my other two regular L0D CEs, it's not as bright. Close, but not quite there. I'm testing with primary AAAs. I thought it might be just the difference in tint as my other two are slightly blue in hue, but I also did a ceiling bounce test in a dark room and the Q2 did not light up the room as much as the others. Again, it was close, but not quite as much output was evident. I may have gotten one of the lower end binned emitters. :shrug: Although the higher output was one of the reasons I ordered one, I really just wanted a Natural and and the assurance of a nice tint.

I have found that using my other L0D CE, even on low with a primary battery, is sometimes too bright for certain situations. I think I may actually like the idea that the (my)Q2 has a little less output.

Bottom line..... I'm happy with it. :twothumbs

barkingmad

Enlightened
On that link it says:

The Special Edition L0D CE Q2's do not have the special prototype MOP (medium orange peel) texture reflector.

... i.e. DO NOT have the MOP reflector?

Can someone clear this up - i.e. from what it says it does not include the MOP reflector - or does it?

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
Can someone clear this up - i.e. from what it says it does not include the MOP reflector - or does it?

Does NOT.

Also, the natural finish IS available in the original AND special edition LOD CE's. Check the website.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my LOD CE Q2 yesterday and wow! I made a lightbox like quickbeam did on flashlightreviews. With a fresh 10440 it shows 11800 lux that drops to 9200 in about 30 sec., but still that's a lot of lumens from such an itty bitty light.:) For comparison my L0D CE starts off at 10200 lux.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does NOT.

Also, the natural finish IS available in the original AND special edition LOD CE's. Check the website.

This is from the descrption on the Fenix Store website, "The Special Edition L0D CE Q2's do not have the special prototype MOP (medium orange peel) texture reflector".

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
This is from the descrption on the Fenix Store website, "The Special Edition L0D CE Q2's do not have the special prototype MOP (medium orange peel) texture reflector".

Thank you for your support! :twothumbs

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Left to right, Fenix LOD CE Q2, Fenix LOD CE, Fenix LOP

lod002smallzi6.jpg

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Freshly charged 10440's measred at 4.2V

Fernix LOD CE Q2 @ 77"

dscn0116smallhd6.jpg

Fenix LOD CE @ 77"

dscn0117smalldk5.jpg

Fernix LOD CE Q2 @ 77" Stepped down exposure.

dscn0118smallvx6.jpg

Fenix LOD CE @ 77" Stepped down exposure.

dscn0119smallgr4.jpg

Fernix LOD CE Q2 @ 77" Stepped down exposure.

dscn0120smallle3.jpg

Fenix LOD CE @ 77" Stepped down exposure.

dscn0121smallvr7.jpg

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LOD CE Q2 @ 77" (Energizer AAA Rechargeable Battery 850mAh)

dscn0075smallqg6.jpg

Fernix LOD CE Q2 @ 77" (AW 10440 Unprotected Rechargeable Battery) @ 4.2V)

dscn0116smallhd6.jpg

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received mine. I'm not particularly impressed with the light output, about the same as a regular L0D-CE, but I feel the beam is smoother than a previous LOD-CE that I owned. The beam color is very good, slightly warm white. :)

Everything inside the bezel is great: Beautifully clear lens and glossy reflector, well-centered emitter, especially clean Cree emitter, viewed under magnification to be sure. :twothumbs

But the outside of the business end the finish is poor. The body anodizing of the tail is streaked, the mid-section is matte and gray, the head is shiny and gold. (I should stop buying Natural if it bothers me, I know.) :sick:

As for operation, the threads are smooth and the o-ring seems to be the right fit for one-handed operation, which is important in a keychain light. :D

Gone is the second hole for a lanyard strap in addition to the split ring, or provision for a larger split ring. :thinking:

Probably still the best AAA light on the market if you need good output and runtime in one package, but still not perfect (yet). If Fenix ever decides to anodize the parts in a more controlled manner (i.e. all three parts together), I will be impressed enough to stop whining. :nana:

Dynacolt

Enlightened
Received my Q2 and it's working a treat :) (this is my first AAA apart from the incan solitaire).
I was feeling something was unusual when I was using it one-handed, as if I was confused in some uncoordinated way - then I realised I've had years of mag use where the twist-to-turn-off direction is what turns on the LOD.
I guess it will just take some motor skills reprogramming to have the action become a natural one.
Awaiting some 10440s to see what this thing can do in DD+.

Dave.

rockdog

Newly Enlightened
Received my L0D CE Q2 in Natural today...

One thing that I did notice though, is that comparing the beam to my other two regular L0D CEs, it's not as bright...

Please pardon my slightly-out-of-thread post, but I had a similar experience with my P1D CE and my new P2D CE SE Q2. The electronics in the two flashlights are nearly identical, so the Q2 binned light should be the brighter of the two lights. To my perception, however, the "ordinary" Cree seems to be brighter than the Q2 Cree when they're compared side to side.

I don't have the ability to test the output of the lights, but I have to assume that the problem is with my perception. The light of the Q2 lamp is much warmer than that of the other lamp, more closely resembling the temperature of incandescent lamps. Perhaps our eyes perceive a given luminosity of bluish light to be brighter than the same luminosity of reddish light?

Also, the Q2 light uses an orange peel reflector. This may be the most important difference. The beam of the P1D has many artifacts and the beam of the P2D Q2 is quite clean, but we all know the tradeoff between smooth and textured reflectors. I prefer the smooth light of the textured reflectors for most situations, so I welcomed the OP reflector in the Q2 Special edition lights. (I would love to see a light stipple reflector for the Fenix lights.)

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I was feeling something was unusual when I was using it one-handed, as if I was confused in some uncoordinated way - then I realised I've had years of mag use where the twist-to-turn-off direction is what turns on the LOD....

The reverse-twisty of the Mag is annoying to me too. I'm used to all my regular twisties, not the Mags.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never paid attention that there were reverse twisties. Good catch!

Latest posts