Spray On Glass - Revolutionary Product

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might have been better if they developed it with an aluminum base instead of a silicon base. I don't doubt the ability of hard coatings like these to provide durable coatings, but I am regularly reminded of just how dangerous small silica particles are.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I can't quite figure out how a spray on coating can allow the coated object to "breathe" yet make it impervious to fungus. What trick allows the "nano coating" to pass air through the coating, but nothing else?

And if the coating is "millionth of a millimetre thick", then would not all the surface roughness still be there and still trapping whatever is rubbed against it?

So far, all the articles I find on line come back to the press releases from the manufacturer. I'll wait till some valid independent testing is done.

Daniel

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Am I the only one that is seeing this as a non reactive compound being suspended in water or alcohol as a delivery agent that is supposed to be some be all end all amazing product?

Last time I checked SiO2 was nothing terribly special, just quartz crystal, a simple solid that is very stable, but doesn't show half of the supposed properties that this stuff supposedly has.

They don't tell you about the Nano-Houdini particles that give it that magical touch.

andyw513

Enlightened
I only see this staying out of the hands of children...I foretell glass cats and dogs, and what if your little girl mistakes it for hairspray?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like Daniel is right how could such a thin layer possibly do so much. Surfaces wouldn't change quartz is no magical compound itself.

Last edited: