Stinger Batteries

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I jsut bought a SF Stinger. Needing something more than the Scorpion, I was trying to decide between the SF TL3, and the Stinger. I then realized that if everytime I charge this light I put $4.00 in a jar for the batteries I would've bought, I can soon buy a TL3.
But I have a copule of questions.
1/ Are there after market batteries that give better brightness for a longer period?
2/ If I were to build an adapter the size of the rechargeables, what type of batteries would I put in it to run the 3.7 volts?
Man it sure didn't take long to get my mind wondering about this

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bravo25 said:
1/ Are there after market batteries that give better brightness for a longer period?

[/ QUOTE ]

Better brightness AND a longer period? That's asking for quite bit! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, you've already seen my earlier response to this, so I won't reference it again. I can add some additional suggestions though.

'Additional brightness' means you'll want more voltage than the standard 3.7v that Nicad/Nimh/Li-Ion provide. The problem here is that you (or I) don't know how much 'overdrive' the regular 3.6v bulb will withstand. So you would probably want to have 3 or 4 spare bulbs on hand just to determine what that level would be. At any rate, to have more cells in the same length you would be limited to using '2/3 sub-C' cells. Five 2/3 sub-C cells are the same length as three sub-C cells. I use this site to find out cell sizes; I'm sure there are others:
http://www.batterieswholesale.com/
But the bigger problem with 2/3 sub-C cells is that they are only 700mah capacity - you would be lucky to get 22 minutes of run time between charges.

As for longer run time, you could build a pack with 3300mah Nimh cells. That should get you a theorectical 110 minutes of run time. I've been tempted to buy a 7.2v 3300mah battery pack for RC cars which I could bust apart and make two 3 cell stcks from, but they go for quite a premium.
http://www.strikalite.co.uk/prodcat_type/7/NiMH_(R%5CC_pack)/0/Radio_Contolled.html

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Talk to batterystation.com and see if they can put together a 3.3 NiMH pack for you. You will need the top battery configuratiion setup for Stingers unless you have Stinger XT, which has a negative contact via tailcap spring. Look at top of Stinger battery pack and you will see a positive and negative contact area there. See Battery Station site for 3.3amp batteries. I did not see any 2/3 sub C's, only 4/5 sub C's. This will give you longer run time not brighter ouput.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I have a battery with a higher mAh, will the standard Stinger charger completely charge a bigger battery?

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Theoretically, if the voltage is the same the original charger will charge packs with higher amperage but will take longer to do so. I've heard that there is a limit of somewhere around 2400ma. 3000ma and higher may never fully charge since the charger cannot fill the battery fast enough.

BTW: You may be interested in this - I had a power outage here about a week ago and it tripped a breaker on a power strip that I had the Stinger charger plugged into. So - no power into charger. I had an XT in the charger at the time. Popped it out yesterday and the battery pack was totally flat. It may - note may - be that if you don't have incoming power, keeping the flashlight in the charger may result in a discharge!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Bravo25, I am going to ask that question to the repair tech at the local Streamlight warranty shop/store, tomorrow. Will get back with answer.

Bill

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
Bravo25, I am going to ask that question to the repair tech at the local Streamlight warranty shop/store, tomorrow. Will get back with answer.

Thank you
I look forward to the answer.
Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Bravo25, I talked to Streamlight repair tech, actually he is an electrical engineer who works for the shop that repairs, replaces, does offical warranty work for Streamlight, and distributes, at wholesale lights, to police, fire, etc, agencies. He said that the built is charging system in Stinger and SL series light will handle higher amp batteries, and chargee them to correct amperage. Would take longer to charge higher amp NiMH's. So looks ok to use cradles to charge lights up. No way around having to use special positive-negative top, for Stinger battery plack.

Bill

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for checking. I can get some 2400 Mah batteries made up fairly reasonable which should give me a longer run time, I could get some 3000's made but not of the same type. (I believe they are Nicads), and I am not sure if I should use the different material.

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
No way around having to use special positive-negative top, for Stinger battery pack.

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made a couple of extra packs for my Stinger - Replicating the positive / negative top was a pain. I kind of wish SL had just stuck with a conventional design.

By the way, every see some of the Nicad packs for a Welch-Allyn diagnostic light? Some of them have positive at both ends! The negative electrode is a spring clip on the side of the pack. Therefore, there is no way to insert the battery wrong - the charger will work no matter what. And they only go for $125. (At those bargian prices, I don't understand why medical insurance rates are so high).

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I had hoped the StingerXT would take a conventinal battery pack since tailcap has a tail spring and switch. However, I was told by warranty tech that positive/negative top of battery is integral for chargering. No way around it.

Bill

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I should have provided more details.

I used a 6 cell Sanyo nicad 7.2 Volt RC car pack.

Similar to this

Separate the pack into 2 sticks and you have 2 sets of 3 cell sub-C batteries. I sanded the spot welds smooth.

I use an old Surefire overnight charger C300 that came with my 8X. The new CN411 charges the same battery packs. The only issues I can see are:
If the smart charger times out before the battery is completely charged, I would remove/reinstall the battery which would be reset the charger.
Or if you use NiMh, with the different charging characteristics.

This battery pack only works with the XT, not the regular stingers.