Stinger LED HP & Stinger DS LED HP

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
So when did these come out? I check this forum every so often, but I just ran across this on Streamlight's website. Ironically, I did a search here and I found nothing on these!

Does this mean that I can "upgrade" my existing Streamlight Stinger LED to an "HP" version?

Last edited:

Jagged

Newly Enlightened
They've been out quite a while (at least many months) and have been discussed here some. You can upgrade and I considered it; but ultimately decided the increased output may not be worth the cost.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the reply. That is interesting because I did the HP upgrade on an incandescent Streamlight Stinger back when and I didn't think it made much difference. If you can point to a URL that will take me to the previous discussion, that would be great. I tried the above terms and didn't seem to find anything related to "Stinger LED HP" or "Stinger DS LED HP".

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
They've been out quite a while (at least many months) and have been discussed here some. You can upgrade and I considered it; but ultimately decided the increased output may not be worth the cost.

The HP LED Stingers are brand new, and haven't been released, yet. Not sure if they'll release the HP head as a kit like they did w/the incan. HP.

Jagged

Newly Enlightened
I stand corrected. Sorry for the bad guidance. I didn't know of the new version referenced at the site below.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=2

I didn't check my facts / read your post thoroughly enough and thought your upgrade was related to the upgrade for the regular Stinger LED. I have two of those and the upgrade was increased lumens with different LED; but I gathered from threads here that it wasn't that noticable and the cost was $40 or something like that each.

Once again, sorry I misguided you. I should have double checked before posting.

bkumanski

Enlightened
The HP LED Stingers are brand new, and haven't been released, yet. Not sure if they'll release the HP head as a kit like they did w/the incan. HP.

Dano, I just found this too. I stand corrected (from my first responder post), Streamlight has finally broken into the 200+ Lumen realm.:twothumbs Good for them. Like I had said, they and Surefire make great lights, bulletproof if you will, however they just weren't as bright or run as long. Now this may be something to try in the field and with a replacement NiMh battery (which can use the same charger) My guess would be it would run for at least three hours on high (the NiCd battery says it will run for 2 hrs on high). Get the fast charger version and it may be my next duty light.

They are listed for sale now at a few websites, but not in stores yet, I looked today. The cheapest price I found was at www.streamlight-flashlights.com, and they have all of the combos of lights and chargers.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Does Streamlight show a runtime plot in their advertising for the 200 lumen model? If that is out the front lumens, then they must have quite a nice buck/boost driver in there to get 2 hours runtime using an 1800mAh subC NiCd pack.

Bill

bkumanski

Enlightened
Does Streamlight show a runtime plot in their advertising for the 200 lumen model? If that is out the front lumens, then they must have quite a nice buck/boost driver in there to get 2 hours runtime using an 1800mAh subC NiCd pack.

Bill

Yes. The data sheet says with the stock cell 2 hours until 10% output. It also says it is regulated, and the graph looks good.

Here are the links to the data sheets for the regular stinger led and the HP. Notice how the Poly Stinger has 185 lumens but the regular aluminum one has only 160? Wonder why?:shrug:

Stinger LED
http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/201.pdf

Poly Stinger LED
http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/205.pdf

Stinger HP LED
http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/227.pdf

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Good to see that Streamlight is providing runtime graphs. Interesting re runtime of polystinger. Streamlight does supply a massive heatsink/reflector.

Bill

texbaz

Newly Enlightened
I gave up on my first Stinger LED. First one dropped about 2ft on a hard concrete floor broke the emitter. Now I have many regular stingers with the traditional incan bulbs that have with stood 15-20ft drops. So, I repaired the LED, purchased a complete switch assy cheap 10.00 bucks. I installed it lasted about 2 months again the emitter broke and the switch assy started acting flaky, now it's just a paper weight.:thumbsup:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Despite its nicad battery, I really wanted one. I had a ultrastinger...which I know not everyone liked...but I did. Then I saw the HP's runtime graph and now I am not so sure. I like flat regulation at max better than I like a drop of 20% then flat regulation. I will have to think about this one.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I called Greg at Brightguy to "ask" about the Stinger led HP. I had him compare the output to the Fenix TK12. The answer I got was much brighter spot...and brighter spill. (hopfully, Greg had the TK12 on max and not 90L...lol) well of course, I now have one coming my way. It should be here fri. I don't get home until 11pm, but I will try to post a pic or two saturday night. If Greg is right....This should be a cool light. We shat see.

bkumanski

Enlightened
I saw one of these in person yesterday at the COPSWEST LE convention in Ontario CA. Streamlight was there and had all of their new offerings to test. I must say, even in a well lit convention center room, the hotspot and throw was impressive. It is a really tight beam and should throw well. As far as spill, I cannot really say, as there was too much ambiant light. It did out throw all their other lights, including the HP, and had a brighter hotspot than the Surefires on display at their booth. I know the comparison is apples to oranges, but this was just for reference. Also, the light has two switches (one on the tail and one on the body) which work like a three way in your home (one can turn on, the other turn off and vice versa). Nice feature.

These lights have a low med and low mode for extended runtimes, as well as strobe. While all of these are accessed throught he primary switches, the UI is such that you shouldn't be able to access them accidentally. Strobe, for example is accessed by double tapping the switch, not just "on off" within so many seconds. It is a little difficlut to explain how this is different, but all I can say is you have to deliberately do this to make it work. In fact, I had to ask the guy how to access strobe because I couldn't figure it out on my own. For those of us who wil never use this feature, its nice to know we won't activate it unintentionally. The med and low modes also are accessed from the primary buttons and are changed by pressing and holding the button for a few seconds. Again, it has to be deliberate, they won't change unless you really want them to. When the light is turned off, it returns to "hi" mode again. They are not upgradable and the head is not removable (not easily anyway), so what you buy appears to be what you are stuck with for the life of the light. They also only come in aluminum, there is no poly option for these.

Overall, it appears to be an impressive light worth considering for LE use. I have mine on order (back that is) and should have it in a week or so. We shall see how it performs in the field and in real life settings (not just beamshots and litebox readings).

Oh, one more thing. Unlike the regular stinger which has a hybrid OP/SMO reflector (OP by the led and SMO up top), this one is a full SMO reflector. I was surprised, but I saw no noticeable artifacts in the beam and the LED was well centered, making the hotspot a true circle and not a funky oval at distance.

One last thing: Lifetime warranty, even under harsh proffesional use! Drop it and break the tail switch, send it in to be replaced.

Last edited:

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
First off, I know this is an LED Lights thread, but I currently have an incan polystinger and absolutely love it, always fully charged, ready to go, bright, and I have both the 12v car charger and home AC charger so I can bring it camping and be assured that I can recharge and be "green" by not throwing away primaries when the need calls (I know I can recycle the LiOn, but that's only once a year in my town.)

The whole point I'm making is, if I can buy just the new HP DS LED Stinger (with an included NiCad stick) for about $100 without the charger(s) and be able to use my current SL chargers, would I be wasting $$ :broke: by buying this (cool at first glance) light cause I can buy a better light for less money but then make up price difference by buying LiOn primaries over time?

Does anyone have this particular light, or the regular DS LED Stinger that has compared it to, say a mod'd M@g, or similar non-mod'd light?

Also, in the car, I only have the 10 hr charger, so draining car battery is worrisome. I never drain the 3.6v NiCad stick in the Polystinger to allow it to stay on the charger for a full 10 hours, I've let the car battery die ONCE camping, won't do that again :stupid: but I was using an inverter to power, of all things, AC christmas lights lighting our camp, I know, :stupid: Would the car fast charger draw the same or more current charging it faster in 2-3 hrs than in 10 hrs and cause less drain on the car battery?

If the HP DS LED Stinger is not worth the $$ and ¢¢'s what else should I buy, say, if I were to be walking down the street and happen to find a $100 bill on the sidewalk? Sorry if I've hijacked this thread, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wondered what I have.

Thanks for any tips or *enlightenment* anyone may have on why or why NOT I should buy this light!! Just be aware that I am very partial to the streamlight family of lights, I own and USE 3 of them on a daily basis, or should I say NIGHTLY basis, LOL.

Last edited:

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love to see photographs of Streamlight Stinger LED next to Stinger LED HP.

bkumanski

Enlightened
If you are refering to beamshots, the HP is throw only, no spill (well hardly in comparison) and the regular stinger is a wider beam. I found out the lumen ratings have nothing to do with the emmitter, but the reflector (from a Streamlight rep), which seemed odd to me. The polystinger is a hybrid between the HP and the regular, having more throw than the stinger, but more spill than the HP.

secureone

Newly Enlightened
Yes. The data sheet says with the stock cell 2 hours until 10% output. It also says it is regulated, and the graph looks good.

Here are the links to the data sheets for the regular stinger led and the HP. Notice how the Poly Stinger has 185 lumens but the regular aluminum one has only 160? Wonder why?:shrug:

Stinger LED
http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/201.pdf

Poly Stinger LED
http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/205.pdf

Stinger HP LED
http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/227.pdf

I actually called streamlight about this. They said it because of a didderant reflector.

lightplay22

Enlightened
Ordered one yesterday from optics planet and get an email today saying that they just ran out of them and expect it to be restocked in 3 to 4 weeks. So I just ordered one from Brightguy and will cancel the other order

Last edited: