Stock Minimag vs. Opalec NewBeam

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Here is a neat photo showing the beam of a stock Mini Maglite on the left and a Mini Maglite on the right that has an Opalec NewBeam LED Module installed. Notice how white the beam of the NewBeam is?

minimag_vs_newbeam.jpg

FNG

Enlightened
A friend of mine just got the Newbeam. He also has the Brinkmann Nexstar bulbs for it. Its way brighter than the regular bulb. Me, personally, I dont think the Opalec mod is worth it. It puts out less light than the Attitude, bigger than the Attitude, and costs more than the Attitude. Wouldnt the LS mod be cheaper than $30? $17 for the LS and $13 for misc. parts?

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey FNG,

Check out Brock's runtime tests comparing the Attitude to the NewBeam.

Brock's Runtime Tests

They start off equal and then the Attitude goes quickly downhill while the Opalec NewBeam just goes on and on at that same initial brightness. Believe me the NewBeam is impressive and very useful.

Pat

And to say something on the original topic, the NewBeam is much more useful than the stock MiniMag bulb.

Spork

Enlightened
the attitude used to be my favorite light but the opalec is much better in my opinion. they dont differ that much in size really. the flat output is amazing and it doesn't over drive the led's like crazy.

FNG

Enlightened
Im confused becuase how does the Attitude only last 10 hours? Isnt it rated at 150 hours? I know thats manufacturer but I expect at least half of that. Ive heard that the Atttitde keeps brightness until 20 hours or something.

r2

Enlightened
Princeton Tec's runtime claims are based on running it until you can't read a newspaper with it anymore. Try that out some time--it's not comfortable but if you strain your eyes you can read with very little light. LEDs will glow dimly for a long time as alkaline batteries run low on juice. Alkalines deliver really low current after a while so squeezing the last bit out takes a really long time.

- Russ

Brock

Flashaholic
Another thing to keep in mind you can run NiMH's in the Opalec and it is just as bright as running it with lithiums. You can also use "used" AA cells from other lights and they run at full brightness in the Opalec.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Brock:
Another thing to keep in mind you can run NiMH's in the Opalec and it is just as bright as running it with lithiums.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">THAT'S the good part!

Using NiMH, getting just as much brightness and that flat output. NiMH are the economical and earth-friendly way to go! Anyone seen a posting of a runtime test of the Opalec with NiMH?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus 2 AA cost half as much as 4 AAA batteries. Plus everything else you have that requires batteries probably use AA batteries.

Brock

Flashaholic
Ok, I didn't enter it in to my chart yet, but it ran from 2:15pm to 10:45pm, if my math is correct that is 8.5 hours! I would have never guessed it would have run that long! I did use GP 1800mA fresh out of the 204 charger. So alkaline and 1800mA NiMHs run the same time in the Opalec. Weird but true. I will add it to my

http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/battery.htm

site, hopefully tomorrow

Brock

Flashaholic
Ohhhh a 7 led version? I think you might be thinking of the trek 7 or Tektite with 7 led's, but I hope Opalec makes some more version. In any case we are talking about the 3 LED version.

bucken

Enlightened
Maybe a stupid question, but I don't recall it being discussed, or maybe I missed it if it was...

Can the Opalec Newbeam be used in "other than Mini Mag" mods. Maybe a PT Tec 20, or even a PT Blast? Has anyone successfully used one in something other than a Mini Mag?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Originally posted by FNG:
Yes, why would he do that to an E1e?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ANSWERS:

1) I'm a few sandwiches short of a picnic

2) IMHO, the E1E is state of the art for a pocket size, robust, flashlight but I prefer in close, area lighting.

3) The Opalec New Beam is state of the art, fully regulated. LED lighting with a low voltage indicator.

4) Even the New Beam has more of a spot beam than I prefer so I have been using a SureFire beam shaper. Even with the resultant light loss, this has been an acceptable light for my typical purposes.

5) This weekend, thanks to a prototype BadBoy, magic from Dat2Zip, I used another E1E as host to the light that I have wanted all along:

9E1E-thumb.jpg

MORE INFO

The E1E with New Beam now resides in my glove box.

- Don