Streamlight ProTac EMS Review (Picture Heavy, just as you like it) Working thread

boboboy

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF!

Recently Streamlight sent me a sample of the ProTac EMS flashlight for review purpose, so heres my review, hope you enjoy it!

Specifications:
  • C4 LED technology offers 3 levels of increasing intensities: Low, medium and high
  • Powers on at low beam: 3.6 lumens/runs 36 hours; ideal for pupil exams. Faint peripheral illumination surrounding the focused beam slightly illuminates the opposite pupil without directly causing it to contract, facilitating observation of consensual contraction in dim light
  • Two taps of the tail switch accesses medium mode, which delivers 10 lumens/runs for 14 hours. Ideal for non-glare wound examination
  • Three taps of the tail switch accesses high mode, which delivers 50 lumens/runs 1.5 hours (1 AA alkaline); runs 3.4 hours using AA lithium battery
  • Features the "Star of Life" emergency medical care symbol
  • Includes 1 AA alkaline battery and nylon holster
  • Also accepts AA lithium battery (sold seapartely)
  • Solid State power regulation provides maximum light output throughout battery life
  • Rubber push button tail cap switch
  • IPX7 rated design; waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes
  • Impact-resistant tempered glass lens for maximum beam clarity
  • Unbreakable pocket clip
  • Anti-roll head
  • 3.97" (10.08 cm); 2.3 oz (65 grams)
IMG_1781.jpg

The Packaging is what you expect it to be for this light, one thing i didn't like was that the pocket clip came pre mounted, resulting in scratches on the anodizing, otherwise it's fine.

IMG_1814.jpg

The EMS is a really nice little light, i really like the smooth blue anodizing!

IMG_1816.jpg

There is no knurling or raffles on the body of this light, but it fits very nicely in the hand.

IMG_1818.jpg

Its activated by a normal tailcap clicky switch, wich allows momentary activation, you click it once for low, two taps for medium, then push it all the way in for it to stay on at medium power, same for high but then its three taps before pushing it all the way in.

IMG_1821.jpg

The tailcap switch doesn't allow the light to tailstand very well, although it will work on a flat surface.

IMG_1819.jpg

The EMS has got a smooth reflector and a nicely centerer C2 LED (i think its a cree, not sure though)

IMG_1822.jpg

Here you can see the logo and anodizing.

IMG_1825.jpg

No Square threads on the EMS but, they are anodized, so im sure they are just fine.

IMG_1824.jpg

The battery goes in this way, there is an indication inside the battery tube that shows how to put it in, also there is no rattling when its shaked.

IMG_1829.jpg

The pocket clip was surprisingly hard to pull off from the light, guess thats a plus if you are planning to use it, i however am not a big fan of pocket clips, but it sure works fine if you like them.

IMG_1830.jpg

It also came with a nice black standard holster wich was a nice thing! :)

Time for some shots of the beampattern

i chose to compare it to my Sunwayman M10R as it's the most comparable light that i got right now, maybe this was a bit unfair ;)

Sunwayman M10R: 4Sevens CR123 3V 1500 mAh.

Streamlight ProTac EMS: GP ReCyko 1.2V 2100 mAh.

IMG_1789copy.jpg

There are some artifacts (rings) in the spill area, but the hotspot is pretty nice for this light.

sunwaymanhalvsekund.jpg

IMG_1785copy.jpg

No artifacts in the hotspot, its nice and round :)

sunwayman1-25.jpg

The M10R beats it without any problems, but then again we are talking about a CR123 Light vs a AA light :)

IMG_1786copy.jpg

sunwayman1-100.jpg

At these last photos you really se the difference in power of the two lights but the EMS still performs surprisingly well.

Now for some beamshots

The tree is around 20 meters in front of the camera.

emsbeam10.jpg

Here you can see the nice throw of the EMS.

M10rbeam10.jpg

The M10R wich isn't a throw light beats the EMS with raw power

emsbeam5.jpg

Here you can see that the hotspot of the EMS is pretty nice.

M10Rbeam5.jpg

EMSbeam1.jpg

Here you can barely see the hotspot of the EMS

M10rbeam1.jpg

beamcompare1.jpg

Here the lights are pointed at a tree approx. 60 meters away.

emsbeam.jpg

sunwaybeam.jpg

The EMS doesn't really got much spill so, but i still consider it to be a close range light, as it doesn't shine very far away due to the low power from the single AA. but i still think its a very nice light. It isn' hard to carry around in the pocket, so it's definitely coming with me on my walks during the cold dark winter here in sweden!

IMG_1783.jpg

i close this review with a picture of the two lights next to each other. You should definitely consider buying a ProTac EMS if you want a small light for your walks outdoor at night, or if you need an "emergency" light inside your car/house if you end up without power!

Thanks to Streamlight for providing me with the ProTac EMS for this review.

(sorry for the two other doubleposted threads, my browser crashed while posting :( )

Last edited:

T45

Enlightened
Excellent review BoboBoy! I really like these "picture heavy" reviews. One item of concern however: that is one FUGLY :sick2:lanyard you have attached to that beautiful Sunwayman V10R.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I always wondered what would be a better value Streamlight ProTeac or the TerraLux LightStar 100.
These beamshots helped, thank you for the time to take them and post them.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Me wants a Sunwayman M10R! Much nicer hotspot and no ringy beam!

Seriously, your review comparing the Streamlight to a Sunwayman with more output and a nicer hotspot doesn't convince me enough when you ended with "You should definitely consider buying a ProTac EMS if you want a small light for your walks outdoor at night...."

yowzer

Enlightened
That's a Cree XR-E. Streamlight marketese is to call whatever LED they're using in a light 'C4', no matter the actual type. Annoying. And surprising that they're using a XR-E in a new model, low output light meant for patient exams. XR-Es still have a place, but they're not ideal for the intended use when there are better options available these days. A floody high CRI XP-G or P4, now, for good rendering of skin color, and a low mode that's 1 lumen or less (3+ is way too bright for a pupil check, IMO as an EMT. You want to test for responsiveness, not blind them)...

bodhran

Enlightened
So you make it blue and throw a star of life on it and it becomes a medical flashlight. Much better lights out there for EMS work. By the way, I'm a Paramedic. Yowzer has the right idea. HDS HCRI and a Malkoff MD2 with M61HCRI are my favorite work lights.

Last edited:

boboboy

Newly Enlightened
@T45, Thank you :) yes i know its ugly!

@pjandyho, i should have written that you should consider buying it if you want a small AA light for a small pricetag, thanks for pointing out!

@yowser, you are correct! i tried it out on my eye, and it wasn't very pleasant ;)

fgials

Newly Enlightened
Now you need to pick up the Streamlight ProTac 1L to compare with it since it uses 1 CR123! Great review.

Retinator

Enlightened
Ok I've had mine since late last week, and have a few things to share:

1) It's TINY, compared to lights I'm used to
2) I thought it was a nice looking light (shrugs) lol
3) Anyone notice the warning on the rear:

Caution : LED radiation (RG-2)
Do not stare into the beam.
May be harmful to eyes.

Ahh crap, screw the pupil exams, poor souls may need transplants if this holds true.

As my 1st Streamlight, I'm impressed. This one's a tad pricey to me, but fill a niche I didn't know I had. I agree, that a warmer LED would have been much better.
My uses are house wandering, emergency light, hiking light etc... not color important stuff.

It makes me want to collect the entire Protac line now ..... ahh geez

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good to know!

I've been using an Alpha for the 7 lumens.

But this one kept popping up. So last night upon reading this review pulled the trigger and bought one.

Looking forward to it's arrival....even though it's not a tail stander.

seasam

Newly Enlightened
Not to crap on this thread, but I have ProTac EMS and carried it for a bit working in EMS - the low is nice, but I don't like the LED color and beam overall. There are better lights out there - in a similar size I'd suggest maybe a Eagletac D25A (1xAA) with a Nichia if you can find it. Looks like 4 lumen low with the Eagtac and XP-G2. I have the D25A2 (2xAA) with Nichia and it's a MUCH nicer light.

seasam

Newly Enlightened
^^ important question:
Does it tail stand?

Happy Thanksgiving CPF

my D25A2 does tail stand but it's not solid. the flat rubber cap sticks up just a hair so it's a little wobbly. I just tried the protac which doesn't tail stand at all in comparison.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to crap on this thread, but I have ProTac EMS and carried it for a bit working in EMS - the low is nice, but I don't like the LED color and beam overall. There are better lights out there - in a similar size I'd suggest maybe a Eagletac D25A (1xAA) with a Nichia if you can find it. Looks like 4 lumen low with the Eagtac and XP-G2. I have the D25A2 (2xAA) with Nichia and it's a MUCH nicer light.
Worth noting though is that the ET has no momentary on/off either but this Streamlight does.
For me this is a big feature even though I do love my D25s I wish they too had forward click switches.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ My EMS light tailstands just fine.

Ripped the clip off first thing.
Then stuffed my Alpha in the supplied sheath.

^^ stick a blade in there and twist

^^ fits fine bezel up or down

The beam has a ring on purpose. Illuminate one eye enough to dialate the pupil while barely illuminating the adjacent eye without dialating that pupil.

^^ rings of saturn?
No, they are 3 distinct zones of light meant to evaluate patients when in trained hands.

^^ the zones.
I read at a site while researching this light Streamlight engineers were assisted by EMS folks who even had them put in the emitter off center to help focus light on one eye while barely illiminating the other.
I suppose the darker area was on purpose too....
This pic would be when examining the right eye.

^^ a little dome magnifys the spot.
That little sorta collar at the base of the dome is the magic. Separates the dome'd beam from the spill.

Plain and simple this is a niche light. Wall watchers will hate it. Casual users will find it daunting as they try in vain to click it fast enough to change settings. Momentary setting changes are a must...and you better hurry too.
This one won't be in my normal rotation. Rather a shelf queen conversation piece meant to brag on the simple genious of the emitter system along with it's portable size and durability.

It's certainly a nice little light. And if all else fails on high it has quite the brightness for so few lumens for a tail standing typical sized room lighter....rings and all.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's too bad. I love the idea of this light, but the run time at 50L is pretty disappointing by today's standards.

--flatline

Latest posts