Streamlight Scorpion help!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool.gif
grin.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sean:
... the P60 does not match up to the scorpion set at proper focus. It produces a perfect round and very white beam (whiter than my M2's P60 & P61 on new batteries) and can be focused to flood when necessary...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sean, whiter than the SF ?
And the beam quality is on a par with SF's, no flaws or shadings ?

When you say set it at proper focus, what do you mean by that, is there a single optimum focusing point - what beam do you get at that point ?
Or will it focus with a good beam at any point, spot to flood ?

lightlover

Ps - I have one on order.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flexmodem:
I hate the scorpion now that I have SFs. It's dimmer than the P60 (the scorpion is noticibly yellower)the P61 is superbly brighter, beam quality sucks and the rubber around the body makes it feel cheap (it moves around).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flexmodem, I think you got a defective Scorpion or bad lamp at the least. My scorpion is bright, white and the beam is very smooth.

Alan

SurefireM6

Enlightened
Could be, I've had this thing for awhile now. Well it's flying over to Australia now to a happy new owner!
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
posted by Herky:
[qb]But I also need some long throw as I light up down alley ways from the entrance of them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pardon the unabashed endorsement, but the ASP Triad can meet this requirement.
Somebody will likely "chime in" with a different opinion about Surefire Turbohead light carry. How many of you carry 15-16 (sometimes more) hours a day like I do?

BTW, the tight focus ability of the ASP Triad allows long throw without the larger reflector (Turbohead).[/QB]
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Herky,

My experience with the ASP Triad is identical to Kogatana's.

The Scorpion is an excellent light for the money. Nevertheless, I gave away both of mine to friends, mainly for two reasons:

1) At tightest focus the beam was a bit too diffuse for my taste, and therefore "dimmer" than the Surefire P60.

2) I actually found that the ability to focus was a liability. If you need to quickly/unpredictably present the light, you can never be 100% sure of its focus setting, since it is so easily disturbed by contact.

Regardless of advertising, the optimum focus for any given lamp/relector combination is usually very restricted, which is why the SF lamp/relectors are integrated and preset. The E2 is an exception to this, but if you examine it carefully, you will see that it achieves the equivalent through other means. Also, whenever you change the Scorpion's batteries or lamps you disturb the focus.

The Asp Triad has a unique internal set-and-forget focus mechanism, which I find the best compromise, though frankly I'd prefer a fixed, prefocused arrangement like the Surefires.

The three lights I own with the best external focus design are the US, because it retains focus quite well and is "bottom loading" so battery change doesnn't disturb focus; The Surge (despite the fact that it is "top loading, because it retains focus settings under most normal conditions.) And, surprisingly, the LX. Even though it is top loading and retains focus moderately well, it presents a very decent beam throughout a variety of focus settings. This is unusual.

Let me say again, I am not knocking the Scorpion; it is an excellent light for the
money, but it simply doesn't meet my requirements.

Brightnorm

yclo

Flashaholic*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flexmodem:
Could be, I've had this thing for awhile now. Well it's flying over to Australia now to a happy new owner!
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

grin.gif
grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
I have 2 Streamlight Scorpions and about 6 P60 lamps, and none of the P60 lamps read less (on my light meter) then the brighter of the two scorpions I own. As far as whiteness goes they are very close with new matching batteries. The reason all my P60's are brighter is that they are focused a bit tighter then the scorpion can, even when the scorpion is spotted all the way down.

I will agree that the scorpions do cover a wider area and might even have a more smooth beam then some of the P60's, but not brighter, at least none of mine.

Latest posts