Streamlight Siege Review --- Now in neutral white! (September 2014)

liteningbug

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic review, Martin, thank you very much for the time you put into it, I am finding it to be a huge help.

And the hack is just NICE.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah! No problem. Glad people are still reading this review. Did you end up getting a Siege?

sll

Newly Enlightened
2 Questions:
Regarding The Siege 44931, D cell, it says on the Streamlight site Battery Styles: Non-Rechargeable, Battery Types D Alkaline. Also the label states it uses alkaline batteries. The provided instructions provide no guidance other than insert 3 D cell batteries. I'm new to the rechargable world and in the early stages of learning about 18650s with all the precautions and "Look-out for" with them. Just wondering if it is OK to use rechargeables?

Regarding alkaline D cells, I have a week and a half camping trip coming up later on and there is no hook-ups/electricity. What is a good brand recommendation?

Thanks

JBS

Newly Enlightened
2 Questions:
Regarding The Siege 44931, D cell, it says on the Streamlight site Battery Styles: Non-Rechargeable, Battery Types D Alkaline. Also the label states it uses alkaline batteries. The provided instructions provide no guidance other than insert 3 D cell batteries. I'm new to the rechargable world and in the early stages of learning about 18650s with all the precautions and "Look-out for" with them. Just wondering if it is OK to use rechargeables?

Regarding alkaline D cells, I have a week and a half camping trip coming up later on and there is no hook-ups/electricity. What is a good brand recommendation?

I have a Streamlight Siege and use these Tenergy Centura rechargeable D batteries with no problems.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ASF24WI/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I also use these AA to D adapters in the Siege with eneloop AA batteries and they work well.
3AA to D parallel adapters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K86RXQU/?tag=cpf0b6-20
1AA to D adapters: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRF2GHO/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Subterrestrial

Newly Enlightened
2 Questions:

I have a Streamlight Siege and use these Tenergy Centura rechargeable D batteries with no problems.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ASF24WI/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I also use these AA to D adapters in the Siege with eneloop AA batteries and they work well.
3AA to D parallel adapters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K86RXQU/?tag=cpf0b6-20
1AA to D adapters: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JRF2GHO/?tag=cpf0b6-20
Tenergy Centura is definitely the way to go IMHO. They're low self-disharge as well. You need a good charger though, one that can handle high capacity cells. I love the Powerex charger, but it is a bit pricey. There are cheaper alternatives, like Tenergy's own charger.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a AA version with magnetic base. Everything is fine to me except the tint. I wonder why Streamlight rejects so actively LEDs with a higher CRI?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a AA version with magnetic base. Everything is fine to me except the tint. I wonder why Streamlight rejects so actively LEDs with a higher CRI?

It's cheaper most likely. And if they sell these to stores/warehouses the vast majority of people who buy these won't care or know anything about LED emitters. Even the "worst" emitters in 2017 are way better than emitters from 10-15 years ago. My D-cell Siege is a few years old now, but yeah, I don't like the out-of-the-box tint of it either. I did that little trick in the review to make it a more pleasing neutral/warm tint. Not perfect, but much better. Maybe you can try something similar with the smaller AA version? I've been wanting one of those. How do you like the AA version overall. That is cool that it has a magnetic base. Or do you find the magnetic base is potentially annoying and sticks to or picks up metal things you weren't intending?

Rexlion

Enlightened
I can hardly wait for the LT1 to go into production, so today I ordered a Siege to tide me over. Ordered one for my DD too, along with a couple of the glare shields (The 'new light' bug is biting, darn.) They claim 540 lumens now. Has anyone ever tried simply coating the dome with a yellow or orange highlighter? If it would create a color coat on the dome, seems like it would be easier than anything else.

Last edited:

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's cheaper most likely. And if they sell these to stores/warehouses the vast majority of people who buy these won't care or know anything about LED emitters. Even the "worst" emitters in 2017 are way better than emitters from 10-15 years ago. My D-cell Siege is a few years old now, but yeah, I don't like the out-of-the-box tint of it either. I did that little trick in the review to make it a more pleasing neutral/warm tint. Not perfect, but much better. Maybe you can try something similar with the smaller AA version? I've been wanting one of those. How do you like the AA version overall. That is cool that it has a magnetic base. Or do you find the magnetic base is potentially annoying and sticks to or picks up metal things you weren't intending?

I use my lantern as a bed-side light in order not to go in total darkness from a switch to a bed :) So I had no chance to check its magnetic features. But I guess it might be an excellent tool to have in a vehicle in case that vehicle has a tendency to say goodbye in the darkness :D