Streamlight Super Tac: Can I throw RCR123As in this old flashlight?

Deano1982TX

Newly Enlightened
Just a newbie question that I've been looking for the answer on. I have a few flashlights that are rechargeable (Strion, Clipmate, a few others) and I have this old Super Tac laying around that I've been neglecting simply due to it not being rechargeable. Is there any worry about throwing rechargeable batteries in this thing?

rishabharies

Newly Enlightened
I believe the Streamlight webpage says do not use rechargeable CR123. Not sure what the exact reason or effect might be but I think it has something to do with higher voltage output of a new RCR123 than a CR123 which might cause damage.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two CR123 cells will supply a voltage of six volts when fresh. Two RCR123 cells will supply a voltage of 8.4 volts when fresh, an increase of about 33%. This is probably more than the LED driver board can handle. If you simply must try it, rechargeable LiFePO4 cells have a fresh off the charger voltage of 3.2 volts each, which will be closer to what the driver board is expecting. Be careful when selecting a charger, most LiIon chargers will not charge LiFePO4 cells. Make sure the documentation explicitly states that it supports LiFePO4 cells.

If this is old enough to have an incandescent bulb, 8.4 volts will definitely 'poof' it. LiFePO4 cells probably won't 'poof' it, but will overdrive it slightly, resulting in a shortened lifetime.