2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MSRP $28,679 - $35,189

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI MSRP $32,995

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
dammitjim said:
More expensive than what?

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MSRP $28,679 - $35,189

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI MSRP $32,995

Was I wrong? I remember seeing that the one tested, in whichever car magazine I was reading, was about $40,000 ($39,xxx) before doing the mod. A local gas station worker got a 2006 for $31-something thousand. It was those numbers I was basing my statement on. I might be wrong, though, if that's what you say the EVO costs.

I wish the WRX STi was available in Sport Wagon. A sedan just don't have the utility value I desire.

I think the cost of tires is small enough to ignore in purchase consideration. Something I'd do in cost of ownership estimation is contact your insurance company. If it's a car that's very hot among your local car thieves, comprehensive insurance cost could be quite a bit.

Last edited:

Clickie

Newly Enlightened
An Evo will wax a STi.... two of my friends have them! I've watched them race 1000 different times w/as many different drivers and have driven both myself a million times.... the Evo is Definetly faster!

Plus, most magazines have the Evo's 0-60 time in the 4.5-4.8 sec range.... anybody stating 5.5 seconds needs to learn how to side step a clutch!:grin2:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clickie said:
An Evo will wax a STi.... two of my friends have them! I've watched them race 1000 different times w/as many different drivers and have driven both myself a million times.... the Evo is Definetly faster!

Plus, most magazines have the Evo's 0-60 time in the 4.5-4.8 sec range.... anybody stating 5.5 seconds needs to learn how to side step a clutch!:grin2:

Good info to know. It may have been an old magazine, now that I think about it--possibly, 2002 or 2003? I'm guessing the Evo's have gotten faster since that magazine came out.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've raced Evo's several times and have never had a problem staying ahead of them. I think the cars are close enough in performance that driver skill is the deciding factor.

Frankly, I consider my purchase a mistake, and I'm 99% sure I'll be selling the car this summer. Once the novelty wore off I just quit driving it; it has slightly more than 3000 miles on it and I haven't even taken off the dust cover in months(I hope there's still a car under there!). The back seats are nice for the twice a year I need them. If you're going for something practical that can also step out and be fun, then take Dammitjim's advice with the Legacy GT. The practical side of the STi is there, but everyone knows the STi is a performance marque, and the large wing and hood scoop are not discreet. Mine also has the performance muffler and the boxer rumble that goes with it. Having ricers revv their weedwhackers at me at every stop light got old FAST. I'd much rather have a Q-ship, or something that obviously has enough performance to toast them so they'd leave me alone.

Good luck with your choice. :buddies:

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
subaru backwards is u r a bus. so i told a subaru i am not a bus.after that day we never once got along ... basterd car

RIDE

Enlightened
STi Forresters have hit U.S. soil! I thought they were not available in the U.S. yet, but someone I know says he sat in one and confirmed it's existence.

To me this would be one sweet sleeper. Plenty of room and some butt kicking speed too.

RIDE

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
4sevens said:
dan,
Oh, i've been reading a lot on the wrx and wrx sti and I'm eyeing a local 07 sti limited
but it's way out of my range. Theres so much technology in the sti, boxer engine,
symmetrical awd, abs/ebd. It looks like an awesome driving machine.

How does it drive as a daily commuter? Is the interior noice level ok? How
does it compare to an accord? Also I know it's stiffer - it's a performance
car, but is it uncomfortable? Of course these are all subjective questions
and they are hard to quantify and will vary from person to person. But how
to you like it? Better yet, what don't you like about it and/or what would
you change on it if you could?

The limited is a good way to go if you don't want to get noticed. If its too much, go with a STi and just swap out the trunk. Its a pretty good daily driver, I've been getting 17-22mpg(no freeway driving on Maui). I don't really notice the noise. I love the suspension, kinda bumpy for my wife though. If I had the money though I'd switch it out with some Ohlins struts and some STi pink springs. Other than that, just a few other suspension mods would make the car perfect for me. Oh, if you can't tell I love the STi. I take it to the SCCA track every now and then.

Me in action:

AugSCCA1edit.jpg

Hope this helps.

springnr

Enlightened
Trashman said:
Ok, how you'd know that? How'd both of you know that? I've never heard that term before.

Me either, the car I owned previous to my Legacy GT wagon was a Inifiniti J30 so I thought maybe Q-ship refered to the Infiniti Q45 (it is a Q-ship).

I did a google search to confirm and found ... Q-ship

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I learned about Q-Ship (automoive related) from Car and Driver Magazine.

I learned of Q-Ship (ocean related) from History Channel.

Essentially, if you want to fly under the radar you do NOT want fender flares and spoilers!
A nice plain perhaps tan or gray car.

Besides... if you aren't gonna go on track...

Where can you REALLY use 1G handling or <5 second 0-60????

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Besides... if you aren't gonna go on track...

Honestly, everywhere.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I took a ride in the 7's STI! All I can say is, WooooHoooo that was fun!

I can't beleive how fast this little car can scoot. The STI handles like a go cart, simply amazing.

Thanks for the thrill ride David. :rock:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I learned about Q-Ship (automoive related) from Car and Driver Magazine.

On the reverse u-turn ramp getting back on 85. Can you say wooooosh. :)