• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SunDrop Engine

dirtydog

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a pill/engine for a SunDrop. This is also my 1st post. Glad to be here!

Update--- I found someone who had 2 LEs. I bought them both. The have red dots on the back which I guess means that they are 3S. He was not sure what the LEDs were but I asked some people and they think they are a 119 and a xpg2. I would post a pic if I could figure out how.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Welcome! What LED are you looking for? That will help folks who might check out the thread.

archimedes

Flashaholic
FYI, the SunDrop bezel is compatible with "most" Aleph-type light engines (in other words, it doesn't necessarily have to be only from another SunDrop)

Also, as @nbp mentioned, the emitter choice is particularly important in these since (due to the optic) that will greatly affect the beam shape.

Last edited:

dirtydog

Newly Enlightened
FYI, the SunDrop bezel is compatible with "most" Aleph-type light engines (in other words, it doesn't necessarily have to be only from another SunDrop)

Also, as @nbp mentioned, the emitter choice is particularly important in these since (due to the optic) that will greatly affect the beam shape.

I would like to be able to use a 16340. As far as emitter goes I am not very familiar with the 119. I am with 219 and xp-l. How much of a difference in the beam is there between a 119 and a 219? I am still learning my way around the forum. I am guessing there are beam shots around here somewhere. I am interested in an emitter with hi cri and nice tint around 4200-4500.

nbp

Flashaholic
Do you have the original SunDrop or an XRU? The original was designed around a low profile emitter and has very little "headspace" but the XRU can take most emitters.

dirtydog

Newly Enlightened
Do you have the original SunDrop or an XRU? The original was designed around a low profile emitter and has very little "headspace" but the XRU can take most emitters.

It is new, so to my understanding it is the XRU. I am expecting it to ship out in the next few days. It is one of the ones that Justin Koch did the finish work on (I am really excited). I have put together several Convoy lights and even modded some of my other lights. I am sure if I were to get an empty pill I would be able to install a driver and board. I don't know what size drivers or mcpcb these engines/pills use though. I would like engine that I can put in it and just be good to go. I also don't know the differences between the 4 options that are listed on the order sheet. I posted a new thread asking about that. Thanks again.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Original has been discontinued for some time now, and I think was produced in fewer numbers, but good point.

AndyF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had CPF member DatiLed make one for me using an Osram SSL hi-CRI. I don't know if he is currently building these, but his work is highly recommended.

dirtydog

Newly Enlightened
I had CPF member DatiLed make one for me using an Osram SSL hi-CRI. I don't know if he is currently building these, but his work is highly recommended.

I have heard good things about Osram leds. While searching I found a few of his old sales posts where he was selling LEs (all sold). What driver did he pair with it? Did you have to provide the pill or does he turn his own? And if you don't mint me asking how much does he charge? Thanks

nbp

Flashaholic
DatiLEDs work is outstanding if you are looking for aftermarket LEs. Otherwise you can also buy LEs from McGizmo too. He may have a more limited emitter selection though.

dirtydog

Newly Enlightened
Hello again AndyF. I was wondering if you still have the stock pill. If you do would you want to sell it if it is not in use?

Latest posts