SUNWAYLED M40A Review (MC-E 4xAA): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

LeifUK

Enlightened
Nice review. I have used both Eneloops and Panasonic Infiniums and I get about 1 hour 5 minutes continuously on high before it starts to flash. In practice the light is fairly throwy, which I 'cured' using some d-c-fix on the front of the lens. The only criticism I have (apart from in my opinion the useless strobe) is that the bezel is fairly deep, and it cuts out some of the spill.

As an aside, I would not use these rotary switch torches, or falshlights (sic) if you prefer, in an environment with very fine dust as it would get under the rotary switch, which seems to be lubricated. I think it would be okay with sand, and grit.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
As an aside, I would not use these rotary switch torches, or falshlights (sic) if you prefer, in an environment with very fine dust as it would get under the rotary switch, which seems to be lubricated. I think it would be okay with sand, and grit.
A fair point of concern.

Incidentally, this is one of the few threads I won't be updating with search engine cache data - I was unable to find a cache hoard for the missing posts from p.3. :shrug: I don't think much was lost, but I recall some discussion of the clear plastic Nikon lens cap fitting the M40A (i.e. could be used as diffuser).

LeifUK

Enlightened
but I recall some discussion of the clear plastic Nikon lens cap fitting the M40A (i.e. could be used as diffuser).

Yes, old Nikon 35mm film camera bodies sometimes came with a translucent body cap which just happens to clip onto the M40A bezel. It stays in place, but it is easily knocked off i.e. it is not securely held. The result is a very diffused beam, a bit like Fenix diffusers. Unfortunately some modern Nikon cameras, if not all, come with a black plastic body cap.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've managed to find the cache for the missing posts from p.3 - both were by LeifUK, and reproduced below. :)

Written by LeifUK on 01-21-2011 11:39 AM GMT

Good review. I bought the light on the strength of reviews, especially this one. No I won't be coming after you with a big stick and an angry expression. The light is excellent, and the build quality is superb. Clearly the Fenix TK40 can be seen as a direct competitor at a similar price, but this one is shorter, and lighter. I wish the bezel was less prominent as it does shade peripheral light which would be helpful for cross country running. Not a big deal though. And it would be nice to have a diffuser like the Fenix one for the L2D etc which consists of little microprisms or a clip on plastic negative lens. And as you indicate the absence of a case is surprising. I like the presentation which consists of a cardboard box with sponge padding, much better than thick plastic in my opinion if only for environmental reasons but it is easier to open. Oh and I got 1 hour 9 minutes on max using 2xEneloop + 2xPanasonic Infinion. The torch got pretty warm. 4 x Panasonic 2600mAh cells gave just under 1 hour but I think they are worn out.

These people make very good falshlights (sic). Shame about the smelling pistake. :ohgeez:

Written by LeifUK on 01-23-2011 01:33 AM GMT

For what it's worth, a translucent Nikon 35mm camera body cap of the kind that was supplied with a new camera body makes an effective diffuser. It clips on although it is not held very tightly so I would not recommend it for outdoor use. Mine came from an old film camera body and unfortunately it looks as if more recent cameras have non translucent body caps if my D200 is anything to go by.

And that brings this thread back up to being fully-restored! :wave: