Sunwayman V10A / V10R control ring anatomy

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
The RRT-0/TCR-1 really was the superior light to the Sunwayman Ti. I lost mine, and never was able to find a replacement.

The RRT-1 is great as well, still going strong.

The Sunwayman is nice, but the shoddy factory clip and no easy replacement was a bummer, and F&F/general usability of the TCR-1 was top notch.

To wit: My Sunwayman Ti is also still going strong. I disassembled it soon after purchase using the hot water method, and occasionally re-pack the control ring with Silicone Grease.

If they hadn't used the weirdly thin LED Star, it would be running a Nichia LED by now.

Last edited:

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RRT-0/TCR-1 really was the superior light to the Sunwayman Ti. I lost mine, and never was able to find a replacement.

The RRT-1 is great as well, still going strong.

The Sunwayman is nice, but the shoddy factory clip and no easy replacement was a bummer, and F&F/general usability of the TCR-1 was top notch.

To wit: My Sunwayman Ti is also still going strong. I disassembled it soon after purchase using the hot water method, and occasionally re-pack the control ring with Silicone Grease.

If they hadn't used the weirdly thin LED Star, it would be running a Nichia LED by now.

The only thing I didn't like about the RRT01 is that there wasn't a shut off at the tail. I always had to lock it out by twisting the head from the body as it would turn on in my pocket. That's why I prefer the Sunwayman.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
After finding a Sunwayman V10a control ring difficult to open with the Oveready Bezel Tools,
Y5foBb8l.jpg

that I have used successfully to open V11r and RRT-01 Stepless Rotaries,
I tried a different strategy:

I put the Sunwayman in the sun to warm up:
sa3qgMdl.jpg

went out to eat Carne Adovada:
59XLviHl.jpg

and when I got home, the light opened easily:
JMqbL2Al.jpg

wooohoo! One step closer to a High CRI Rotary.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I opened a Sunwayman V10a
crjCnSIl.jpg

and installed a E21a 4500k.
I then did some comparisons to a 219b 4500k sw45k

first impressions
the E21a 4500k is greener than the sw45k
9Zy2mTDl.png

no surprise there, the difference in duv predicted that
AGnX1KVl.png

(thanks to maukka for the charts)

The e21a 4500k seems to make colors pop more than the sw45k

the sw45k makes reds redder, the e21a makes whites whiter
iMmecvJl.png

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Installed an sw45k into a V10r Ti+ that originally had an XM-L2
Maximum is 280 Lumens, after 5 minutes it is still producing 230 lumens on a 16340. The lowest mode is 0.04 lumens, which for me, as a firefly lover, is a very nice sublumen option, considerably lower than the spec of 1 lumen minimum for these lights.

Considering the centering challenge, since the centering ring is for a larger LED, and the reflector has a large opening in the bottom, I find the beam very satisfying, and better than the original. The hotspot is tighter, and of course the tint and CRI are vastly superior to the original.

eXHslGbl.jpg

modded Sunwayman friends and family (tails of the black lights are lego swapped)
sVd5qEGl.jpg

the E21a sits lower, and causes the donut hole on the far right light, needs to be redone, with a 0.5mm lift of the mcpcb

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I got a V10r open, by freezing it for an hour first.
I tried heat repeatedly, but failed repeatedly.

Installed a 4500k 219b 9080 sw45k

The beam is perfect, and the LED centering is too. Super happy about this one.

output ranges from a minimum of 0.005 up to 210 lumens using a usb rechargeable 16340.

whats not to love?
eLPKwdZl.jpg

blmvV60l.jpg

xMsiiC5l.jpg

the ugly
MP2JGZml.jpg

tKEPdKKl.jpg

the good
XkZNvRGl.jpg

WY5438Ul.jpg

light-modder

Enlightened
Good job jon! Looks great. What are the rubber pieces you used? What are they from, how thick are they, how dense? Any info is much appreciated.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
thank you sir!
I cut the tails off the strap wrenches, that dont work at all for me. I have also used leather wraps, in the pic is some deerskin...

my next resort was going to be, inner tube rubber, or blue painters tape on the light, plus the rubber or leather
also considering cutting up a silicone soldering mat, or finding some "jar openers"

both the leather and the strap rubber were slipping, and both shed particles, not ideal
I was also getting concerned that I was squeezing the vise grips too hard. I leave the tailsection installed to support the end of the head tube... it was challenging.. now gratifying
VUszEfol.jpg

the leather I use coiled into about 3 layers:
8Sx672Y.jpg

I use these oveready bezel tools to reassemble, no locktite on the sunwayman, yes locktite on the jetbeam
Y5foBb8l.jpg

Last edited:

light-modder

Enlightened
Thank you for all of that info, very much appreciated. I modded a ti V10R not long ago and just went through the top for all of it. It was t very fun. I knew taking them apart wasn't easy and I hadn't seen any pictures so I did what I could. I may do another after seeing these pics.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats on going from the top

these Sunwayman leave a few options, including leaving the driver in place, or even leaving the bezel in place, when splitting the control ring assembly..

if you do open the control ring.. observe the assembly order of the silver washer, visible second picture up, on right.

if at that point you want to change the lubricant...
the control ring just lifts off of the bottom half

I like Nyogel 767a when a heavy damping rate is desired, it is quite smooth and gives imo a luxurious feel to the dial

The Krytox 205 I have not tried, but am tempted, it has teflon, which is good specifically for Ti.. I hear... It is thinner than 767a, but the tension of the control ring is also adjusted by how tight the control ring assembly is screwed back together...

Ive also had some Sunwayman that I liked the stock feel of the dial, and chose not to change the lube. Lastly, since the Sunwayman has a tailswitch, it allows me to enjoy a dial that spins more easily, than on an RRT-01, that Im wary to have turn on in pocket, by the dial only UI.

Im coming to really appreciate the Sunwayman Rotaries.. I especially like the hand feel of the V10r series.

happy modding!

I hope you share a couple photos

Last edited:

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had several V-series lights over the years. I still have one, a V10r Ti, and it still sees EDC duty from time to time. The LED was changed to Nichia 219B by Vinh. I installed Lee diffusion filter behind the lens and a big o-ring in the groove near the tail of the light. One of my all time favorites.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
V10r Ti... One of my all time favorites.

same here.. Just a fantastic UI and form factor

I modded both of these Sunwayman to sw45k.
VLraBXol.jpg

The two LEDs are noticeably different in the amount of pink tint

other stats:
the V10r has a lower weight, and lower max output (hence longer runtime)
200 lumens on 16340, 46 grams empty.

The V10r Ti is 33% brighter, and 52% heavier
265 lumens on 16340, 70 grams empty

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
A light that tics a lot of boxes for me:
Slider Custom Sunwayman V10r

WhacGC5l.jpg

Rotary with stepless ramping
High CRI sw45k
Sapphire lens
eSwitch
multi fuel: Cr123/16340/AA/14500
Tritium locators
Firefly of less than 0.005 (as low as an RRT-01)
max of 200 High CRI Lumens

Last edited:

Mgizler

Enlightened
A light that tics a lot of boxes for me:

WhacGC5l.jpg

Rotary with stepless ramping
High CRI sw45k
Sapphire lens
eSwitch
multi fuel: Cr123/16340/AA/14500
Tritium locators
Firefly of less than 0.005 (as low as an RRT-01)
max of 200 High CRI Lumens

Which model v10 is this? Or is it fully custom? I wanted one of these long ago and never bit the billet. But this picture of yours is making it hard to resist.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which model v10 is this?

its a lego

thanks for enjoying the photo with me
it is a V10r, that I spent some quality corona time with

I scored the Ti trit fins separately, would love to find another.

63aNy6Ll.png