Sunwayman V11R vs Nitecore SRT3 - Comparison and thoughts

recDNA

Flashaholic
I was thinking of purchasing one just to throw in the car as a backup because I like the idea of an emergency flasher. White strobe might over distract drivers of cars going by but red-blue flash is visible but not blinding. No good though if I have to worry that a police officer thinks I am trying to look like an emergency vehicle

Amelia

Enlightened
I was thinking of purchasing one just to throw in the car as a backup because I like the idea of an emergency flasher. White strobe might over distract drivers of cars going by but red-blue flash is visible but not blinding. No good though if I have to worry that a police officer thinks I am trying to look like an emergency vehicle

I think you would be disappointed with the light if that is your intended use. The red and blue LEDs are small and dim, next to worthless for actual warning or signalling uses. The red LED is dim enough to use for map reading without ruining dark adapted night vision - and is just barely bright enough to walk around with under the same conditions.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I think you would be disappointed with the light if that is your intended use. The red and blue LEDs are small and dim, next to worthless for actual warning or signalling uses. The red LED is dim enough to use for map reading without ruining dark adapted night vision - and is just barely bright enough to walk around with under the same conditions.

Yeah, I agree with this. The red in particular is quite disappointing.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I agree. A V11R was my first high end EDC and it's still one of my faves.

I prefer the V11r. Ideal size for an EDC and so versatile as well as quality. On the the first one I had, the control ring would stick sometimes and was difficult to turn. No such problems with the one I got recently. I use it as my EDC but when I travel I have the AA extender ring in my carry-on in case I ever need to go over to AAs.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi RecDNA,
I concur with Amelia, but I love the SR3 & the red light is useful for many things, but not that.
I too was looking for a solution, I like flares, but the fire hazard is too great. Here is the solution I found, called SafeFlare:

I initially kept them in the trunk, with the two AAA Alkaleaks in place but wax paper to keep the connection from being completed. Now that I have CPF to educate me I use Eneloops, with a spare set and charger in the glove box. The SafeFlares ran about $12 each, and after 3 years they are in great shape and work as good as the day I bought them. I live in the Palm Springs area desert where temps in summer reach above 120 degrees, and the trunk much hotter. So far the SafeFlares and Eneloops are tolerating the heat without evidence of problems.
I love my SRT3, and love my V11r's too. The red light on the SRT3 I find is fine for trips to the bathroom when everyone is asleep. If I am babysitting my granddaughter, I will sometimes use the white light on low if the red is not bright enough. It might be interesting to expand this thread or start a new one bringing the Nitecore EC1/EC11 into the fray. The 18350 adds an unfair advantage and makes it pocket rocket. The reason I bring those lights up is that the EC11's red light seems brighter and more useful.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hi RecDNA,
I concur with Amelia, but I love the SR3 & the red light is useful for many things, but not that.
I too was looking for a solution, I like flares, but the fire hazard is too great. Here is the solution I found, called SafeFlare:

I initially kept them in the trunk, with the two AAA Alkaleaks in place but wax paper to keep the connection from being completed. Now that I have CPF to educate me I use Eneloops, with a spare set and charger in the glove box. The SafeFlares ran about $12 each, and after 3 years they are in great shape and work as good as the day I bought them. I live in the Palm Springs area desert where temps in summer reach above 120 degrees, and the trunk much hotter. So far the SafeFlares and Eneloops are tolerating the heat without evidence of problems.
I love my SRT3, and love my V11r's too. The red light on the SRT3 I find is fine for trips to the bathroom when everyone is asleep. If I am babysitting my granddaughter, I will sometimes use the white light on low if the red is not bright enough. It might be interesting to expand this thread or start a new one bringing the Nitecore EC1/EC11 into the fray. The 18350 adds an unfair advantage and makes it pocket rocket. The reason I bring those lights up is that the EC11's red light seems brighter and more useful.

Thanks

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I also had the same machinist bore a pair of SRT3 extender tubes AND the SRT3 body to 18mm. I can now use 18650 in this light, and (again, by removing extender tubes) use smaller cell sizes. This light is now my idea of the perfect multi-fueller for energencies, capable of using any of the following cells:

AAA (with paper/aluminum foil "adapter")
Eneloop AA
Alkaleak AA
Energizer Primary Lithium AA
CR123

To use a 18650 or 16650 in your bored SRT3, do you attach 2 extender tubes?
Do you remember the cost of getting the SRT3 bored?

I'm glad I saw this thread, because I was just about to buy a V11R at illumn.com (on sale for $50). But after reading your comments (and the review by UPz, see link) about the control ring, I changed my mind. According to UPz's testing, the control ring on the SRT3 has better "spacing" of its variable output, compared to the V11R. Plus the SRT3 is a more interesting flashlight than the V11R, at least to me. The SRT3 is now on my "to buy" list.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...T3-Defender-(XM-L2-T6-CW-1x-(R)CR123-AA-14500)

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
To use a 18650 or 16650 in your bored SRT3, do you attach 2 extender tubes?
Do you remember the cost of getting the SRT3 bored?

I'm glad I saw this thread, because I was just about to buy a V11R at illumn.com (on sale for $50). But after reading your comments (and the review by UPz, see link) about the control ring, I changed my mind. According to UPz's testing, the control ring on the SRT3 has better "spacing" of its variable output, compared to the V11R. Plus the SRT3 is a more interesting flashlight than the V11R, at least to me. The SRT3 is now on my "to buy" list.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...T3-Defender-(XM-L2-T6-CW-1x-(R)CR123-AA-14500)

Yes - 2 extender tubes to use xx650 cells. This, unfortunately, requires that you purchase a pair of SRT3, since they don't seem to sell the extender tube as a seperate item like Sunwayman does with their V11R. The other option is to use an SRT5 body on the SRT3 head... but you would still need to buy 2 lights, you get a worse pocket clip, and it makes it difficult to use shorter cells.

The machining was kind of costly... though if you shop around you might find a shop that will give you a deal. The guy I went to charged $20 for each of the extender tubes, and $50 for the main body (he had to disassemble it then re-assemble after machining). On the bright side, he had it all done in the same day... and did a superb job! I'm super happy with how my "ultimate multi-fueller" turned out. :)

robert.t

Enlightened
It all comes down to your intent. I'm not a law officer, but it's no different than wearing a police uniform for a costume party. As long as you're not out performing police duties and leading people to believe you are a cop, you're fine. Using the light to signal to people that you are broken down is fine.

Would be interested to hear from someone that actually knows the law in the U.S., but in the UK blue lights in/on a vehicle are completely illegal, no ifs no buts. I suspect in the U.S. it would be treated a lot more like waving a fake gun around in public: it's not the intent that matters, it's how the actions are perceived and whether you could reasonably have foreseen that, e.g., other motorists might think you were a police vehicle and act differently as a result.

LedTed

Enlightened
I don't see the 14505 on your list.

Eneloop AA
Alkaleak AA
CR123

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
I don't see the 14505 on your list.

Eneloop AA
Alkaleak AA
CR123

Yeah - there are also a few other less common cells that didn't make my list... 18350, 16500, a few more AA variants, the Lithium Thionyl cells, etc. Also, if you had enough extenders, you could run 2X Alkaleak or Eneloop (but NOT Lithium or Lithium Ion) as well. The SRT3 is remarkably versatile! :)

The SRT3 will take pretty much ANY 0.7V - 4.2V cell arrangement... if you have a long enough battery compartment behind it. I started out "Lego-ing" it by putting the SRT3 head on an SRT5 body... but I hated the SRT5 clip, and the fact that I had to switch back to the SRT3 body and extender... or huge paperclip/tinfoil adapters if I wanted to use shorter cells.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amelia, does the SRT3 give any kind of "low battery" warning, especially with Li-ion cells?

Amelia

Enlightened
Amelia, does the SRT3 give any kind of "low battery" warning, especially with Li-ion cells?

Yes... it tells you the battery is low by suddenly going black! :D

Seriously though... no. I've said from the moment I first played with my SRT3 that instead of the moronic red/blue blinking "cop mode" nonsense, they should have put a battery level indicator at that selector-ring spot (output battery level as flashes, like the Zebralights do).

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
BatteryJunction is having a "25% off all Nitecore items" sale, and that is all the encouragement I needed to order a gray SRT3 today. :)

SV_huMMer

Newly Enlightened
Spent a couple of weeks with SRT3. Love the light so far!

Bumped into this thread and was very impressed with Amelia's excellent "tuning" of the light.

I am currently thinking about having a couple of extention tubes machined for me, but someone at another forum questionned the ability of SRT3 circuit to handle hi-capacity 18650 batteries.

Is there anything to worry about? I always thought that voltage and current are the main things to pay attention to in terms of electrical compatibility. Amelia, could you pls share your experience with your upgraded SRT3 running 18650s? Any issues?

Thanks in advance!

recDNA

Flashaholic
That's a good idea. Maybe it will show up in the SRT3 v2.
Missing in MH20GT too. Nitecore doesn't seem to like battery warnings.

I actually prefer a ring with detentes so it stays where I leave it but I want at least a dozen detentes. I also like a line like the v11r has so I know the approximate brightness before turning on the light. I would never buy a cool white floody light. I don't mind a cool white thrower but floods are for close up and close up I want to see colors. I don't care about colors 100 yards away. I was carrying my ZEBRALIGHT sc62w but have returned to v11r with Vinh installed HiCRI XM-L2. I just prefer ring to clicky. The other day I tried to access low on my sc62w and accidentally got H2 and practically blinded a couple of students. I never make that mistake with control ring ui.

The HDS rotary 200 would be my idea of perfect but just not bright enough at max and too expensive.

I really wish I had bought one of those camo v11r or the neutral white version as a spare. Now the camo and neutral white are too expensive. Another dealer was practically giving away the cool white version a while ago but I would have to send it to vinh for mod and so it ends up expensive.

Hey Amanda - how about a deal of the day v11r neutral?

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spent a couple of weeks with SRT3. Love the light so far!

Bumped into this thread and was very impressed with Amelia's excellent "tuning" of the light.

I am currently thinking about having a couple of extention tubes machined for me, but someone at another forum questionned the ability of SRT3 circuit to handle hi-capacity 18650 batteries.

Is there anything to worry about? I always thought that voltage and current are the main things to pay attention to in terms of electrical compatibility. Amelia, could you pls share your experience with your upgraded SRT3 running 18650s? Any issues?

Thanks in advance!
I don't have that particular light but since the SRT3 circuit can handle the 14500 or 16340 rechargeable lithium ion battery (which is the same voltage as a 18650), then a 18650 will work just fine if you can figure out how to make an extension tube for the 18650 to physically work. The 18650 will of course give longer run time than either of the two other batteries. Output will not be any different with any of those batteries mentioned since the driver is current regulated.

SV_huMMer

Newly Enlightened
I don't have that particular light but since the SRT3 circuit can handle the 14500 or 16340 rechargeable lithium ion battery (which is the same voltage as a 18650), then a 18650 will work just fine if you can figure out how to make an extension tube for the 18650 to physically work. The 18650 will of course give longer run time than either of the two other batteries. Output will not be any different with any of those batteries mentioned since the driver is current regulated.

That was exactly my thinking, however, someone (seemingly) experienced in FL electronics raised this question, stating that a high-capacity 18650 would somehow 'overload the driver at the moment of turning the FL on. My level of technical knowledge about FL circuitry is too low to either agree or question this statement :)

Latest posts