Surefire 6PX Pro emmiter question? Thanks!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire 6PX Pro emmiter question?

Fantastic! The 300 lumen version makes so much good sense. I don't own one, but I'd much prefer it to the new higher output stuff.

Thanks! I actually carry these lights for work, so during the past few days. I've enjoyed the extra horsepower in the P1R which has a similar beam profile as my XML Fury (with an Oveready 18650 body). But yeah, if I'm in a tight area. The high in the Fury is too much, so I'd have my 250 Rotary in hand. It's cooling down tonight, so I'll be wearing my vest (BTW, it's just a regular vest ... : )), and will try out the 6PX. I'll still have my Fury in my briefcase, though. Along with my backup Vinh Driven e1b, and LX2. ... Flashaholics, what you're you gonna do? ... lol

I have settled down over the years, and not into the lumen wars. I just carry what works best for me. Heck, aside from my maxvision Minimus head lamp. The P1R was the first flashlight purchase in awhile.

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fantastic! The 300 lumen version makes so much good sense. I don't own one, but I'd much prefer it to the new higher output stuff.

Me too, along with the 400 lumen LE.
These have flat outputs that I prefer, being driven relatively moderately.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just wanted to say thanks for the help, and as always, it's very much appreciated! ... :thumbsup:

All dressed up and ready for work!

nJPndWt.jpg

Been carrying the light for the past two nights, and the Fury stayed in the briefcase, so that's saying something. Nice light, well worth the price of admission.

I was thinking about picking up a few 16650's for the light, but I still have four 17670's, and 3 1/2 boxes of primaries (which I've been feeding the LX2). I guess, I'll stick to the primaries, and the 17670's.

Thanks again!

Pops

BTW, now I have three back ups in the briefcase. The e1b, LX2 and this light!... lol

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

nice, Nice, NICE!!

Thanks, and thanks again! ... :thumbsup:

I particularly like the O-rings on the tail cap. Nice touch.

Thanks, can't do without my o-rings (although I'm learning to do without on my P1R, as it doesn't fit in the holster), as well as a combo of an o-ring and grommet on my Rotary's.

Edit: old photo. Just checked, the one on the left is my 200 and the one on the right, I think was my 140 HI-CRI which I sold awhile back (Henry made only a few of these).

qUVFiuQ.jpg

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Here she is; what do you think?

CZeuFue.jpg

Thanks again, and really appreciate the help!

Pops

The tint one this one is on the neutral side. Even more obvious when I have it next to my P1R.

That appears like the LED in my Black Friday debacle light 320 lumen. It has almost a copper look to it. Doesn't seem like a normal XP-G2 but don't know.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

That appears like the LED in my Black Friday debacle light 320 lumen. It has almost a copper look to it. Doesn't seem like a normal XP-G2 but don't know.

Yeah, don't either, not enough experience with LED's. Well. unless I'm told what it is, of course. ... lol

It does throw well, basically, to my eyes. Throws distance like my Fury, cept not as bright (?). I'm really liking this light! ... :thumbsup:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

My only complaint is a stiff clicky when using gloves. Like the beam and UI. Also thick build. SF did good.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm certainly no expert, but it looks different than my XP-G2's. I am curious to know what it is.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm certainly no expert, but it looks different than my XP-G2's. I am curious to know what it is.

It's unfortunate Surefire doesn't ad this spec in the light's (or any of their light's) info., would be great if they did. Wonder if anyone of our folks who mod lights would know?

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's unfortunate Surefire doesn't ad this spec in the light's (or any of their light's) info., would be great if they did. Wonder if anyone of our folks who mod lights would know?

Hell, I dunno. Looking at it again, it could be an XPG2. I agree, though. More disclosure from Surefire would be welcome. They've always been tight lipped about the emitters they use.

cp2315

Enlightened

I believe it is xpg2. Have seen same thing in my predator warm

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Once upon a time this PK character (former SureFire designer) began learning about LED's from his brother who was an engineer at Motorola and from Peter (forget his last name) owner of ARC flashlights. The idea was to rid the beam of what he called "puke green" tint. So the emphasis was on blue back then. Hence why outdated emitters have blue beams.
The goal of PK was pure white (6200-6400 kelvins). Meanwhile Nichia was devising proper color renditions emphasizing reds to make colors pop. Other engineers back then discovered ways to make beams appear more like a light bulb.
Ok, I say all of this to say that folks had ways of mixing chemicals to achieve slightly more of this or that with whichever generic LED they chose at the time. Customs blends using regular emitters were popping up.

Gene Malkoff uses XPG's with custom blends for his cool, neutral and warm for example. So it's no surprise that SureFire was doing custom blends to achieve a more neutral tint in these lights.

I don't know all the in's and out's of blending chemicals to change the color of a tint, but from the way it was explained to me a pinch of this or a dash of that in the phosphorous can really change the look coming from a chemical reaction when electricity is applied.

Maybe somebody can explain it better.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

The board looks more white/silver on the XP-G2.

4Qc1mqo.jpg

Just tried comparing the XPG2 in my Fury (swap done by Wayne), and the 6PX. The board color is real close, but it could lean toward the silver side, but again, it's real close. The biggest difference is the size of the LED; to my eyes (which isn't saying much ... :laughing:), the XPG2 is smaller.

OK, we're not going to the moon with these 2 photos, right? So I eyeballed it, re. distance to the camera. .... :grin2:

6PX;

alA6ptM.jpg

Fury with the XPG2 swap;

25b8rXH.jpg

BTW, I didn't notice till you mentioned it. But yes, the clicky is stiff, and you have to press deep into the tail cap to engage it. However, I use the momentary most of the time, so I'm good.

Pops

Last edited: