Surefire 9P/P91 lamp question

Majord

Newly Enlightened
Hi
Complete rookie question. I have a SF9P. I would like to increase it's output (for specific applications) by using the P91 lamp. I understand that change will reduce the run time to about 20 minutes. I have read about adapters that you can use to add a battery. Can I do that in this situation? Can I convert my 9P to accept A 4th battery and will the P91 lamp be ok doing so. How will that affect the run time and output? Where can I can purchase this adapter? I do know that I have to use equally charged batteries reagrdless of using 3 or 4.

Thanks in advance for your help!!! I have a lot learn .....

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
You cannot add a 4th battery. It will blow the P91 as the voltage being supplied is too much for the bulb.

Your only option is to use rechargable batteries. Add an A19 adaptor and use two 17670 protected li-on rechargable batteries. I use this setup for the P91. It works great. You will get at least 30 minutes runtime with no dimming.

Also, by choosing this setup you can elect to power the P90 bulb with it for nearly an hour of runtime. You can always remove the A19 extender and use regular batteries again too. The setup is versatile.

I have to add that the P91 runs hot. You may not be able to leave it on for 20 minutes continuous because it will get really hot. That goes for primaries as well as rechargables. For continuous on needs, stick with the P90 bulb.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm at work, so I must make this quick.

Yes, indeed: Add a Surefire A19 extender tube and you'll have yourself a body that can run the P91 acceptably for, I think, about 35 minutes on two AW 17670 cells (not other brands), Wolf Eyes 169B cells, or Pila 600S cells. If you can afford the Pilas, they'll deliver slightly higher voltage under the heavy load, and thus more light.

Lighthound.com is a good source for the AW cells and matching Ultrafire charger from the Dealers thread, or from Lighthound. For Wolf Eyes, buy from Mike at Pacific Tactical Solutions (after sending him your CPF name to register for a discount). For Pila (and the required Pila charger), you'll find great service at JSBurly's and great prices at BugOutGear USA. All can be found in the Dealers thread.

I've just bought a P91 to use in my 2x168A Wolf Eyes body with 2000 or 2200mAh cells, which the P91 (2.6 amps) will deplete at a discharge rate of about 1.3C. The combination you seek will drain the cells at about 1.6C. Personally, I no longer run any lamps on cells that will be drained faster than 1.5C (depleting in 40 minutes or less). It's not just a question of runtime; it's that thirsty lamps will depress the voltage of a low-capacity cell and hence deliver less light than they could.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
Or you could bore out the 9P and A19 to accept two of AW's 18650s. An easier but more expensive way is to buy a black leef C tail C head 2X 18650 tube from Lighthound at $69.99 that would hold the same AW cells. This setup would use your existing head and tailcap and the P91 lamp assembly. I don't know about runtime but it will be longer than with the 17670s.

Last edited:

Paul5M

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like you want to stick with primaries. If that's the case, you'll be better off with a 2nd 9P ;)

Last edited:

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Another option would be to get a battery extender for your 9P, run 4 primaries and a 12V lamp. Lighthound sells a G&P 12 volt bulb as well as an extender that will fit your 9P.

Last edited:

Majord

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all the help. Paul5M you are correct. I do want to stick with primaries at least for now. I've just become a "flashaholic". I use my lights for hunting and outoor applications. Just upgrading from C and D type lights to my 9P is a huge upgrade for me. At this point I'm not really looking to get into making modifications. More or less just "bolt on" type stuff. This is an awesome site and I'm reading and learning like crazy. So much so that it's gets confusing trying to absorb all of the info, numbers, mods, power sources, etc... I love that I have so many options with Surefire lights. I'm just playing around with my options.
THANKS AGAIN!
Dave

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi,

Have you had a look at www.lumensfactory.com who have new lamps that can be used in the 9P? The D-26 serie would fit the SF 9P. You can choose lamps from 380 lumen and down to 105 lumen; 35min. to 80min. depending.

I have an SF 9P w/ A19 and G&P 12V G12 lamp, and it works perfectly on primaries. The lamp is rated 220 lumen (?) but I don't know the runtime...

PA

edit; thanks Glen C :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Per Arne, small typo, it is http://www.lumensfactory.com/ :)

I would not rule out rechargeables Majord, much lower running costs and interchangeable with primaries in your application. Match them with the Lumens Factory EO-9 380 lumens and you have one nice light

Majord

Newly Enlightened
Glen C said:
Per Arne, small typo, it is http://www.lumensfactory.com/ :)

I would not rule out rechargeables Majord, much lower running costs and interchangeable with primaries in your application. Match them with the Lumens Factory EO-9 380 lumens and you have one nice light

Thank You Glen C. Actually that is why I said "at least for now" regarding my battery choice. That IS one change that I will definitely be looking into! I will also be spending a good amonut of time at the "Lumensfactory".

bhj1

Newly Enlightened
Majord,

I've been running my 9P with a A19 extender and Surefire KL5 LED head on it. This combo puts out a tremendous amount of light, but there's a good amount of heat buildup to go along with it. I generally use my 9P when it's cold outside, so the heat problem is not a big deal. Have not done any official runtime tests yet, but I know it's putting out for an hour or longer. Just another option.

Bill

mdocod

Flashaholic
The P91 is closer to 20 minutes of usable runtime on AWs 17670s after that it requires double and triple tapping to get the last 10 minutes or so out of the cells.

The P91 is the most power hungry lamp available in a 26mm size. No other lamp this size comes close... It's nearly 20 watts!!! Closest competitor is the Lumensfactory EO-9, which is pretty similar in output to the G&P 12V (both of those are ~15W on fresh cells)... Go with the P91 if you crave absolutely nuts output. It's enough lumens from a small enough package to really start putting that grin on your face when you turn it on.... The EO-9, HO-9 and G120 are more practical lamps for runtime that deliver a nice improvement in brightness over a stock P90.