Surefire A2 Aviator bi-pin adaptors/Tad's customs

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Agree on using an A2. It's not a wow light it's just a light that works in many situations. Nice low level flood beam to use up close and a nice incandescent to give you some throw. Best of both worlds. I don't use mine as much as I probably should.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I've fairly sure I've seen a post discussing damaged (dimmed) LEDs in this situation.

I don't have much time for searching right now, best I could find at the moment was this (secondhand) report ...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-dimming-LED&p=1245592&viewfull=1#post1245592

I haven't had any damaged or dimmed LED's using this configuration with stock LED ring or an onion ring. Not saying it can't happen, just not in my experience and I've been doing it a long time. Currently I have an onion ring in my main user with red LED's for two or three years now. If they would go bad, I can just replace them or put in some Yuji's.

Haven't noticed noticed any dimming with white or red LED's either.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always surprised at how few opt for LifePo4 batteries.

Overdriving the LED ring in an aviator may yield a dozen lumens? Can you see that? I can't.

Frodo, you gotta try the A2. On paper it's a bit of a head scratcher, but in use it's an amazing thing to behold. PK once told me a regulated incan was one of his favorite ideas.

I wish they had gone ahead and released the 9 volt Aviator version!! The E3e Executive release would have been nice too.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree on using an A2. It's not a wow light it's just a light that works in many situations. Nice low level flood beam to use up close and a nice incandescent to give you some throw. Best of both worlds. I don't use mine as much as I probably should.

I've had the A2 in some situations where the throw and spell came in incredibly handy in very large dark places. Surprising for such a small light with only 50 rated lumens. I believe some members with the proper equipment have rated the A2 in the lower 70 lumens range if I recall correctly.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always surprised at how few opt for LifePo4 batteries.
Overdriving the LED ring in an aviator may yield a dozen lumens? Can you see that? I can't.
Frodo, you gotta try the A2. On paper it's a bit of a head scratcher, but in use it's an amazing thing to behold. PK once told me a regulated incan was one of his favorite ideas.

My understanding is that the A2 body is extremely picky with rechargeables. AFAIK only the SF LiFePO4s would fit in and not damage the circuit in the long run. Other 3.7V RCRs simply won't fit except the Fenix, but that would mess up the internal circuit in the long run, so I was told.

1pt21

Enlightened
I use primaries in mine. But figure with so many folks using rechargeables these days there would be more talk about LifePo4 batteries yaz.

I'm with ya Byk 100% now. I've tried LifePo's but after a few years they expanded AND leaked in my precious, you better believe that the light was cleaned and recovered. However, that incident alone scared me away from them (they were cheap Tenergy's I believe).

Nowadays primary's are so cheap it's just common sense to use them in a light like the A2. Not only are they awesome lights, they're long discontinued...

I will say that I tried a cheaper brand of 123's on Amazon (I think they were labeled RavPower or something and had good reviews overall), well they got stuck again my my A2.

Since then I just went to the 'Good Deals' section on CPF itself and stocked up on that sick LAPG deal, I'm set for a long time given that they're guaranteed 10 year shelf life and PROVEN to go WELL beyond that with little to no capacity loss... And they fit. And they won't leak.

A light such as the A2 deserves to be fed with quality primary cells is what I have concluded after owning well over a dozen and having many modified parts for them (one light I've never sold since acquisition is the A2 FYI :broke:). Small price to pay for a guarantee of no worries, I'll mess with my other lights.

ETA: I know I may have sounded to contradict my prior posts, however all I was saying is that I've come full-circle and through all of my prior experiences concluded that quality primary's are the way to go. I guess the only exception would be if you're a heavy A2 user (are many left??) then you may want to consider LifePo's.

I've tried it all, luckily never fried anything!

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with ya Byk 100% now. I've tried LifePo's but after a few years they expanded AND leaked in my precious, you better believe that the light was cleaned and recovered. However, that incident alone scared me away from them (they were cheap Tenergy's I believe).

Nowadays primary's are so cheap it's just common sense to use them in a light like the A2. Not only are they awesome lights, they're long discontinued...

I will say that I tried a cheaper brand of 123's on Amazon (I think they were labeled RavPower or something and had good reviews overall), well they got stuck again my my A2.

Since then I just went to the 'Good Deals' section on CPF itself and stocked up on that sick LAPG deal, I'm set for a long time given that they're guaranteed 10 year shelf life and PROVEN to go WELL beyond that with little to no capacity loss... And they fit. And they won't leak.

A light such as the A2 deserves to be fed with quality primary cells is what I have concluded after owning well over a dozen and having many modified parts for them (one light I've never sold since acquisition is the A2 FYI :broke:). Small price to pay for a guarantee of no worries, I'll mess with my other lights.

ETA: I know I may have sounded to contradict my prior posts, however all I was saying is that I've come full-circle and through all of my prior experiences concluded that quality primary's are the way to go. I guess the only exception would be if you're a heavy A2 user (are many left??) then you may want to consider LifePo's.

I've tried it all, luckily never fried anything!
So you've tried LiFePO4s and they work?? I have some Tenergy LiFePO4s (400mAh unprotected green/grey label) and NONE of then fit into the A2.

For now I too only stick to quality CR123as especially the Panasonic USA black label one.

BTW has anyone tried the LF A2 tower LED module? Works decently but somehow doesn't look as bright as the E2e tower module, also driven at the same current (1.6A).

Tad's stuff is simply off limits to me as I'm not going back to incan with small flashlight forms.

1pt21

Enlightened
So you've tried LiFePO4s and they work?? I have some Tenergy LiFePO4s (400mAh unprotected green/grey label) and NONE of then fit into the A2.

Yes, very well so indeed while they lasted... Tads has changed my A2's forever also, fantastic mods offered.