SureFire A2 Aviator - Working Rechargable Batteries

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, because it's regulated. I've been using AW RCR123 Li-ion for years in my A2.

Because of this post, I just blew my Lumens Factory HO-A2 bulb.

edit: the filament in the bulb looks fine, could it be the regulator in the A2 that was fried? My LED's still work, and on the hard press that would usually fire the incandescent bulb, the LED's seem to get slightly brighter.

I'd appreciate some feedback/advice before I got buy a new HO-A2 from LightHound.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because of this post, I just blew my Lumens Factory HO-A2 bulb.

edit: the filament in the bulb looks fine, could it be the regulator in the A2 that was fried? My LED's still work, and on the hard press that would usually fire the incandescent bulb, the LED's seem to get slightly brighter.

I'd appreciate some feedback/advice before I got buy a new HO-A2 from LightHound.

Don't blame me, buddy. Your bulb died because it was a bad bulb that would have died on CR123s as well. The A2s regulator do not overdrive the incan lamp, it alway send the correct voltage/current to the lamp assembly, no matter how do you feed it... I have been using my A2s on RCR123 cells for 4+ years with no issues. You had a dud.

Everybody in this thread so far are happily running their A2s on rechargeables-- except you. Why do you think that is?

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't blame me, buddy. Your bulb died because it was a bad bulb that would have died on CR123s as well. The A2s regulator do not overdrive the incan lamp, it alway send the correct voltage/current to the lamp assembly, no matter how do you feed it... I have been using my A2s on RCR123 cells for 4+ years with no issues. You had a dud.

Everybody in this thread so far are happily running their A2s on rechargeables-- except you. Why do you think that is?

I'm sorry, I wasn't blaming you. Just that your post led me to use the RCR123's, and after about 60 seconds my light blinked a couple of times, I turned it off, and then the incan wouldn't turn back on.

I wish I knew why I was the only one with problems. Bad luck? I've gone back to my CR123 primaries and nothing so far. I can't figure out why the bulb would've just gone out after less than 5 minutes of use. Guess I'll get a Surefire bulb this time. I would hope it would be better quality than the LF.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was almost undoubtedly the bulb, which is way better then it being the regulator. The bulbs are funny - I once had 2 Strion bulbs blow almost back to back (literally 20 seconds of runtime on each) and then the next bulb has run happily for 20+ hours.

The joys of incandescents... :)

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my first IMR-E2 go out with under 90 seconds of burn time. Sometimes these things are just defective.

I've been using the OP's LiFe batteries for the last year or two in my Aviator without issue. May be hard on the batteries? Probably, but I can always pick up some AW Blue Label cells when they quit working, and anyway the LED ring sees a lot more use than the incan "main gun" on my Aviator. Since I'm still on the waiting list for an Onion Ring, I'm not willing to risk the LEDs entirely just yet.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a new to me MA02 surefire bulb and the light is working again.

My apologies Outdoor Fanatic; I was frustrated, just like Bullzeyebill indicated, and was just peeved that I thought the RCR's were what blew my bulb. I guess the Chinese LF still needs quality control improvement...

That said, I'm really reluctant to try the RCR's on the SF bulb -- what do you guys recommend? Should I just play it safe and stick to primaries only?

1pt21

Enlightened
That said, I'm really reluctant to try the RCR's on the SF bulb -- what do you guys recommend? Should I just play it safe and stick to primaries only?

My understanding is that the A2 incan bulb is regulated, meaning that either primaries or RCR, the main beam still gets delivered the same voltage. I say go for it, many of our fellow CPF'ers have been doing so for ages without problems (including myself). Supposedly RCR's will push the factory LED's a little harder, I haven't experienced any problems in that respect. And i don't care, I like breaking things.. Gives me a reason to upgrade!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What we have learned through the years, and from this thread which is sort of redundant considering the information about this topic on CPF.

1. Yes it is ok to use RCR123's in the original Incan A2.

2. Yes, the three 5mm LED's will the overdriven.

3. Remove the LED's if you are concerned about them being overdriven.

Anything else to be added?

Bill