surefire A2 or L2 ?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, what is wrong with buying both?
I owned an A2 and sold it when I bought an L2. The L2 is a bit longer to EDC, and like others have mentioned, the dim is still bright for night adapted vision. I love my L2 and it was my EDC for a long time until I started to EDC a HDS U60GT.
I miss my A2, but I still prefer the L2.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the L2 so I cant comment on the A2......Dont forget when you use the 14670 cell in the L2 the main beam (low) is about half as bright as when you use the 2x123's, while the boost (high) is about the same. This could make the difference to those that think the L2 is too bright on low.

Just to confuse things a bit, you could also look at the Wolf-Eyes range of lights with their main incan lamp and the LED tailcaps. The tailcaps give a nice low light while the D26 lamps (3.7V or 9V) give a good balance of throw and flood while being able to run on 18650 or 18500's for good run times.

Last edited:

stockae92

Enlightened
i went with A2 cause L2 is a little long to me to EDC, and the bezzing (sp?) sound is a bit loud -_-

i like the A2's regulated incan (which you can't find any where else in this small package)

i would be a tougher choice for me if they make L2 the size of a E2E/L4 .. :p

i do wished that i can use A2 with rechargeables ...

marxs

Enlightened
technically you can with 2 li-ions...some people have been cycling between charges without a problem, others have had the led shift in tint. its a hit and miss i guess.

mark

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
darkpeak,

The CPF motto, "buy both" is a little tongue-in-cheek, but it is a reasonable option. If you have a credit card, you can purchase both (don't pay retail) try them out for a week or two in various environments, then sell the one you like least here on B/S/T for almost as much as you paid for it (and will probably have it sold before you have to pay your credit card bill).

But if you insist on purchasing just one, I would normally vote for the A2 (I own three and sold my L2), but you do have several incandescents already. The L2 is a good light if you plan to use it mostly indoors. My beef with it is its limited applications. If you want a multi-stage LED light, that would not be my first choice. I would vote for an HDS U60 (in the same price range) since it is a lot more versitile (throw, takes an F04, programmable, multiple battery options).

Last edited:

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks size 15's, Hogokansatsukan, cernobila, stockae92, marxs, iNDiGLo and leukos. Yes brain saying I really should have both, wallet saying buy one.
Thanks for the great feedback it's what I expected from CPF members but it looks like I'm just going to take the plunge and pick one. I think I'm going to plump for the A2 with white LED's, the incan for the throw and the LED's for the low light battery saving mode. How useable is the LED side of the A2, is there enough light output to complete most tasks like reading a map, walking down a path/trail so that the incan is only used for times when more throw is required.

batman

Enlightened
My A2's are great for walking at night once i get dark adapted. In a really dark environment they would be all the more useful even without dark adapted eyesight. You also won't attract a lot of attention to yourself with the LED mode. The A2 itself is also somewhat small & compact. If i was going to buy a flashlight for a friend however, I'd buy the L2...non-flashlight people tend to really love LEDs.

cslinger

Enlightened
The white LEDs are plenty bright for walking a trail and especially indoor uses. They are brighter then you think. Reading a anything is nothing for the LED mode. As an indoor light you could easily use the LEDs only for 90% of your tasks.

Chris

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback batman. Thanks for that cslinger/Chris, great review it convinces me even more that a A2 will suit my needs.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
I like your Sig Cslinger. Have a few of them myself.

cslinger said:
Not sure if this will help but I did an A2 review/comparison here.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83558

Did you make your purchase yet Darkpeak? I am still trying to decide. However, I am waiting for my two stage L4/E2L switch to arrive as well as a second KL1 head, so no need to rush to the next purchase just yet.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I'm in NYC, it's not dark at night..until I'm indoors, which is where the L2 shines.. no pun intended

dimlight

Newly Enlightened
i like the l2. i didn't like it at first because of the throw. but now i think the wall of light it puts out is more useable, and it's sill very tactical.

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
Hi Delta447, not yet though I think I've pretty much decided on the A2. GarageBoy, I on the other side of the pond but I love NYC, wether outside or inside at least your getting good use out of your flashlight. Hi dimlight several people have mentioned the L2's wall of light, the choice between L2 and A2 has'nt been easy.

tsl

Enlightened
I've had a L2 for about 3 weeks and just received an A2 today because I wanted something with better color recognition outdoors. I certainly got that with the A2. The A2's white LEDs are actually pretty useable too. They aren't as white (they're actually bluish) as my L2 on low, and they're not as bright, but I can walk around outside in the dark with them without much problem.

But hey, it's only been one night for me, but all I can say about the A2 is :) .

darkpeak

Newly Enlightened
I like it tsl, thats the cpf way, buy both
goodjob.gif
. Thats why I like the look of the A2, the flexibility of having the incan and the LED's in one light.

Last edited:

Latest posts