Surefire Aviator 2017 thread

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Nice photos! Thanks for sharing them.
Thank you!

UPDATE: received second Aviator. No flicker issues on any mode but the white LED is slightly off center. Not noticeable unless you stare at it though on a white wall. TIR is flawless

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's arrived!

I'll post hi res pictures and my thoughts on the light later..
20fc1ee141c8aa57021d6c48090df8eb.jpg
d643924d30fc7418bc73e46a1763888b.jpg
879198eefbc56aa45002e6687a373edb.jpg
536a7f281236839d382ddc623bf61932.jpg

8c01d448858489fdea69ec7f6de78fd2.jpg

Last edited:

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! Also I thought there was some damage out of the box, turns out it was stuff from the packaging. Ano is perfect 😁

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
Thanks! Also I thought there was some damage out of the box, turns out it was stuff from the packaging. Ano is perfect 

Well the Jury is still out for me on this one, however I am glad I asked before buying a collection of these things. I took out my Olight X7, Olight M3XS-UT and Surefire P3X Fury Tactical last night for a good walk in the woods. I really noticed what I already knew. Surefire makes the light that you want between 9,000 lumens of flood and 1,200 lumens of 1,000 meter spot. They have always balanced this very well. Stay on topic guys seriously not trying to derail my thread.

Last edited:

jmoyat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received the amber Aviator, all dressed up with copper RPM tail that matches the amber secondary emitter really well

bovie

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone think the noticeable flickering has to do with the secondary color at all? I'm still torn between the color choices.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jmayot, that looks incredible. That was my exact thought. I have the OR E2 Triple with Amber, and I put a OR Cu tail-stand shroud on it.

jmoyat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Str8, yes indeed, a very nice combo, love the amber, my favorite secondary emitter and this one is quite bright, very happy with this new Aviator!
Here it is in another copper dress code

Last edited:

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jmayot, that's a simple yet effective mod... wondering if the bezel ring can be changed? Now a copper will complete the look!

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received today my Aviator White / Red.

But, the optics is off-center, Is this normal? :thinking:

Is that the LED die off-center to the bottom? :drool:Or, is the LED die in the central metal circle displaced to the 10 o'clock position?

Thanks for the update and pictures, I think I'll wait on this one. I sure was tempted though. :naughty: I love the Z68 tailcap and the classic knurling. But the mechanical LED switching seems to still have problems after being introduced on the Vampires a few years ago.

The off-center LED, like the green tint on some recent SureFire's is perhaps more of a cosmetic annoyance than an operational issue, but I still have a hard time accepting it in a premium priced light.

As someone else observed:

So my question.. Why is this flashlight $300? What warrants the price being that much? I mean that is a ton of money for a flashlight. Is the technology in this thing really that good? Where does that price come from? Especially if they don't have enough QC to make sure the LED is centered or that there aren't fingerprints on the TIR optic.

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Same here -- was looking forward to this one, but will hang onto my Kroma MilSpec instead. Really don't understand the low-mode colored LEDs being so powerful. Sub-lumen levels would have been really nice.

Latest posts