Surefire Cree L1 owners with issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreySave

Enlightened
<< Give their warranty a close read. You send it back, (and you pay for the shipping back) and THEY will decide it it's defective or not and THEY will decide whether to repair, replace or refund your hard earned dollars >>

I ignored this in another thread, but enough is enough. I agree with you on the shipping charges IF the product is defective right out of the box as is the case with many people in this thread. In that case SureFire should pay the return shipping.

Beyond that, SureFires warranty statements and requirements are no different that than of the majority of companies out there, regardless of what they manufacture. Seems to me I recall SureFire recently replacing a light that was run over by a lawn mower.

You clearly have an issue with SureFire. So be it. Let's just keep things in perspective.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I want the new L1 cree, and I can wait until they realese some that works properly!

I wont spend my cash unknowing if I have to send it back or not. Im not in the US so I really dont want any trouble sending it back...

So when someone knows when its safe to buy them, let us know!

Fearing that the next generations of led will be out before I get my hands on the new L1.... :(

mick53

Newly Enlightened
<< Give their warranty a close read. You send it back, (and you pay for the shipping back) and THEY will decide if it's defective or not and THEY will decide whether to repair, replace or refund your money. >>

I ignored this in another thread, but enough is enough. I agree with you on the shipping charges IF the product is defective right out of the box as is the case with many people in this thread. In that case SureFire should pay the return shipping.

Beyond that, SureFires warranty statements and requirements are no different that than of the majority of companies out there, regardless of what they manufacture. .

You are correct. Enough is enough and I'm sorry you "ignored this" in the other post. You really should speak your mind when something bothers you!

Just because "the majority of companies out there" are no different than Surefire doesn't make screwing people right, does it?

I just returned some binoculars to OpticsPlanet that I had for over 30 days. They refunded my purchase price PLUS my cost of shipping the glasses back to them. They have EARNED my loyalty.

Last year, I noticed some marks on the underside of the barrel of a S&W I bought new but had had for almost a year. It looked like someone at the factory had inserted the barrel and tightened it with a pair of Vise Grips. There was a small row of "tooth marks" on the barrel.

I took some pics and emailed them to S&W. They said they were aware of the problem on "a very limited number of revolvers," said a "then new tech had done a few like that" and it would be taken care of (it was the new 7 shot model of the old 586). They emailed me an overnight Fedex shipping label. I shipped it the following day.

When I got the revolver back in less than two weeks it had a new barrel plus a new, deep blue all over finish like they put on their old revolver PLUS a trigger jog from their Pro Shop. Now that, my friend is customer service!

People who paid $140 for the new L1 and have the strobe effect should be angry. Nothing wrong with anger when it's appropriate.

When someone takes your money and doesn't deliver what's promised you should be angry. i don't know what happened to the people in our country. We have turned into a nation of sheep. "Oh well, I got screwed again. But at least I'm used to it now. It doesn't hurt as much as it used to." Great attitude.

Someone spits in your face. You whack 'em. These days someone is likely going to say to you, "Why did you hit him? He has 'issues.' He made a bad choice. So you shouldn't be angry. Have you considered taking a little anger management course somewhere?"

If Surefire sold me a defective light I would of course try the soft approach first.

If they told me I had to pay for shipping the light back to them to give them the chance to correct their mistake, I would try to reason with them.

If they said "pay for the shipping or tough luck," I'd call the company and try to get John Matthew's on the phone or at least his exec. assist.

I'd raise hell and Ill bet my butt Surefire would pay for the shipping and believe me I'd get a full refund out of them.

They screwed up. Why make the problem resolution difficult for the consumer? Why should I pay my money to a company that treats me like crap?

They should never have done a premature release of this thing. It wasn't ready and if they didn't know it THEY SHOULD HAVE. They have no excuse on this one!

Their sales are way up these days. If they keep this crap up, those sales numbers will come back to earth. Then, in a year or two they company will find itself downing in a sea of dissatisfied customers. Tough to get 'em back once you lose 'em.

Personally I get the feeling they don't care much for the civilian market anymore and this L1 debacle may be evidence of thiis.

More dough for them in law enforcement and military sales? It would be interesting to see their income broken down into these market segments. That might tell the story.

Look, there's nothing wrong with customer loyalty. But a company has to earn it and maintain it by treating their customers well. Blind customer loyalty is just plain foolish. When I read all these posts written by Surefire apologists I want to puke.

If they made flashlights as well as they market them there would be no problem.

Please don't ignore this one, GreySave. Speak your mind.

Mike

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
No reply necessary sir. Part of me would love to because I have been involved in providing warranty service in an unrelated industry, but I would surely get myself in trouble with the moderators. Beyond that, I will say that I think your posts have spoken volumes.

LongDistance

Newly Enlightened
I have a L1 cree and I have not experienced any strobing problems. Then again, I haven't run the flashlight on for more than 5 minutes...

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I have asked a SF internet retailer about when the new supposedly fixed ones are arriving. About 2-3 weeks! That would hopfully make me a proud owner in resonable time!

luminata

Enlightened
3 and 1/2 weeks. Still nothing . Good to see Sf is still saying 2-3 weeks after stating 2-3 weeks a week ago. One thing they are consistant with is pushing dates forward repeatedly

digitaleos

Enlightened
I had a message today from Surefire Customer Service, the new lights are in, and they have exchanged my defective one for a new one, it shipped out today, I should have it back Monday. I will be sure to run a lengthy test on it to make sure it doesn't exhibit the same problems.

Chris

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Hmmmmmmmmm........

I wish SF would make an official statement on the whole situation, there is obviously a glitch. I wonder if my (up until now) normal L1 will ever fail..... :shrug:

Whats PSM to do? :(

digitaleos

Enlightened
Hmmmmmmmmm........

I wish SF would make an official statement on the whole situation, there is obviously a glitch. I wonder if my (up until now) normal L1 will ever fail..... :shrug:

Whats PSM to do? :(

The customer service rep I spoke to yesterday was by far the best one I've spoken to yet. She did verify that that the first L1 Crees did have some type of problem, but she didn't know exactly what it was. She told me yesterday that the new batch should be in Thursday or Friday, and that they would send me a new one with UPS Next Day shipping, she took down my phone number and said she would call today with the tracking #, and she did. My new one should be here Monday when I get home from work, we'll see how this one does.

Chris

luminata

Enlightened
wOW!

did you by chance get a name of that Rep? If I call Monday I want to ask for her by name. That is all I was asking for . This should be the process for everyone. A quick call or email with tracking number and some information about the issue/status of your warrant claim and shipping a bit quicker than standard ground. :twothumbs

c4igrant

Banned
Spoke to my SF sales rep and she advised that they have had some issues with the first run of L1's. I asked if they have seen large numbers of returns and she said no.

To date, I have had 2 L1's returned. That is it.

C4

Gimmy

Newly Enlightened
The customer service rep I spoke to yesterday was by far the best one I've spoken to yet. She did verify that that the first L1 Crees did have some type of problem, but she didn't know exactly what it was. She told me yesterday that the new batch should be in Thursday or Friday, and that they would send me a new one with UPS Next Day shipping, she took down my phone number and said she would call today with the tracking #, and she did. My new one should be here Monday when I get home from work, we'll see how this one does.

Chris

Just ordered one from their website 5 minutes ago. I hope it will be a good one from the new batch.

ganled

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know if it is safe to buy one now? Does anybody know a good online store that carries a new batch?

This does not look good for Surefire. When you pay so much for a flashlight that has such a high markup, you would expect immaculate quality, utter reliability, and extremely accommodating customer service. You would expect that the extra money is being spent on non-material services and guarantee. In some industries you do not have room for slip-ups. This is especially true if you are selling your product for more money on the basis that it is more reliable than its competitior.

bigfoot

Enlightened
I would imagine, based on the recent posts here, that the new batch of L1s are showing up very soon, if not already.

People seem very eager to bash Surefire. A mistake obviously slipped through the cracks. It sounds like they are taking care of it. It could happen to any business, whether they make widgets or gadgets.

Hopefully they make things right for their customers and everyone comes out happy.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
the word is that the new working lights are round the corner...but who knows..

is it only the new L1 that has this problem? not the new E2L and E1L?

merlocka

Enlightened
Well. I'm trying my luck, hoping everything new is from the "fixed" batch. Just ordered an L1 from the surefire website. Will report with findings when it arrives.

luminata

Enlightened
I'm not gonna make any more sarcastics digs at Surefire in this post just a couple thoughts.
I was gonna call SF today to see where my L1 stands since there have been a cpl reports that they are sending them back to people now. But a part of me wants to just wait and see. See if I get it this week at all or if it goes into week 5,6,7,8..... But I also want to call and see if I get attitude/ignorance again . I have a feeling if a call isnt made and the customer doesnt specifically plead their case you will not get next day shipping, a tracking number or anything . That is not good customer service.
2 examples of Customer Service to me
My sister returned her HP computer for warranty repair , something died in it. She got it back in 2 DAYS!! with shipping to and from paid for .
My dad has an electric scooter, not even in production anymore , with a faulty charger/converter. He called the 1800 number on the box. They apologized profusely and sent him a new charger AND a complete new battery to boot, in under a week and 1/2. Now he can keep a 2nd fully charged ready to go.

I have been thinking I might sell my L1 when I do get it back. What if I ever have to send it back in again, like for a broken Pyrex window or soemthing? I dont want to go throught this crap with them again. And how can anyone be sure they are getting a "fixed" "new" batch L1 unless they order directly from SF? The serial numbers are not any use in telling. I guess with a good business like OptiqsHQ , they will be able to tell you .

It is true every manufacturer has glitches , but you shouldnt have feelings of dread at the thought of dealing with a company where you are the paying consumer of their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.