Surefire E2L question

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Did Surefire ever make a two level E2L that was 45/3? i know the one now is 60/3 and that they had a single level 45 lume one in 2007. I just got a NIB single level 45 lume off of ebay, but, due to the picture I thought it was a dual level E2L with a high of 45. Am I confused regarding a 45/3 E2L?

thanks for any help,
rgc

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original Cree E2L from 2007 was 45 lumens, single level. The current 2-level version is advertised as 60/3. There was never a different version between these two.

paintballdad

Enlightened
Dual level E2L's are 3/60 lumens while dual level E1L's are 3/45 lumens.

If you bought the single level E2L at a good price it actually is a very desirable light. If i remember correctly, it has a flat regulated output of over 9 hours.
Makes for a great SHTF light. Although it's only rated for 45 lumens, the TIR gives it more reach than most lights with similar output and you get that great Surefire build.

Last edited:

T45

Enlightened
I bought what turned out to be a single level SureFire E2L last year at a gun show, S/N: A320791; and it's my second favorite light now, after my 1995 made(guessing) 6P. The E2L single level is a great light with excellent runtime to have and mine gets EDC'd and is often next to my bed when I sleep at night.

I think SureFire's trend toward more Lumens and less runtime in just about all of its offerings is a poor marketing response. If one wants more light, buy a bigger flashlight and dedicated thrower. My 6P was designed to fill a room of average size with light intense enough to see almost every corner of it and momentarily blind someone within that area. I am amazed that people now think 60 Lumens is "Low".

You will not regret having and using that E2L.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
IIRC the only 3/45 Lumen model was the E1L. I don't think they ever made an E2L in this output configuration.

FWIW... the 5/60 Lumen E2L uses the KX2 bezel assembly. I had mine tested by bc and it measured 110L OTF. Mine runs great with 2xRCR123 cells as well as primaries. I have also used it with an unprotected 17670 and it worked great, although I did not have it tested with this cell.

Its my understanding that not all E2 host bodies will fit a 17670 cell, due to design changes throughout its production.

Great light, one of my favotires. *edit* Its my most efficient light from a Lumens per Watt standpoint. At ~80 Lumens per watt its almost double that of my Malkoff M60.

Last edited:

rgc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. I just got it and only tried it outside tonight. This thing is bright for 45 lumes, kind of reminds me of the old original G2 in out put. I love the low 2 lumes of the my U2 and 1.1 lumes of my classic L1 for around camp and the house at night and this E2L is just to bright for that. That said, this one does have a very white lite with no blue or green in it (to my eye) and a really nice beam shape. And I really do appreciate the long run time (I'm all about useful run times over extreme brightness) of 14 hours with 9 of that at a constant regulation. Just need to sit on this one for a while and decide if I want to use it or trade it for a E1L. Just not sure right now . . . .