SureFire EDC1-DFT and EDC2-DFT

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I found a VTAC 2 cell surefire light. It gives me that focused kx2 head with 200 lumens at distance. I'm disappointed surefire hasn't come out with anything so I will be happy to find some old products to fit my needs.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Here's a weird thing, this website has it for sale and its out of stock.
Unfortunately, a lot of online shops do that nonsense. They'll list something brand new that isn't even out yet, then list it as "Out of Stock." (Which I guess, technically it is.) Then take Pre-orders. If it comes out soon or later, they don't care! They've got your pre-order money. Or, if they're not taking Pre-orders, simply by listing the item on their site they know potential customers will bookmark the page. Then when the item does release, potential customers who bookmarked the page are more likely to return, and buy from them.

fulee9999

Enlightened
I just realized SureFire said this will release mid april, maybe they meant 2023 April... who knows, maybe we get lucky this year!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are they getting more output out of a 3.7 rechargeable then 2X123's?
Amperage, two cr123 batteries are capable of 1.5 amps each, current 18650 batteries are capable of 8-10 amps with very little problem, imr batteries can double that.
Lithium primaries just don't have the output of modern rechargeables

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Amperage, two cr123 batteries are capable of 1.5 amps each, current 18650 batteries are capable of 8-10 amps with very little problem, imr batteries can double that.
Yes but you have way more volts with 2 primary cells

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The EDCL-2T guzzled up to 5 amps 😱 from a pair of CR123's creating a warm feeling not unlike carrying a hand grenade with the pin pulled.

That's why I was looking forward to these lights. Lots of throw with less than scarey draw from primary cells but.... for the price reported I'll be sitting on the sidelines.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The EDCL-2T guzzled up to 5 amps 😱 from a pair of CR123's creating a warm feeling not unlike carrying a hand grenade with the pin pulled.

That's why I was looking forward to these lights. Lots of throw with less than scarey draw from primary cells but.... for the price reported I'll be sitting on the sidelines.
This light pulls 5 amps??

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes but you have way more volts with 2 primary cells
Fresh off the charger, an 18650 is 4.2 volts, depending on the led and driver you can muster up to a certain brightness off primaries but the voltage and amperage sag pretty quick do to low volume of energy. Voltage doesn't matter as much as amperage, once you get up to the voltage you need to run the light. Running 6 volts in a 3 volt led, just causes additional heat in the circuit board as it compensates.
By the time the voltage sags to where it's not generating extra heat it doesn't have enough amperage left to run the high lumens

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This light pulls 5 amps??
That's what was said early in the 2T thread. It is said to settle down to like 600 or so lumens after a time as a thermal step down. All I know from experience is one cold night while in Blackburg VA I tried to see if the step down was noticeable. I kept it turned on until the whole **** light got warm like a slice of toast fresh out the toaster. I pulled the batteries out and stuck them in my jacket pocket to cool down and haven't used it since.