Surefire Hellfighter (picture intensive)

Enderman

Enlightened
I think its comical how under powered these are vs. how over priced and heavy they are. a whopping 3000 lumens at only 10 lbs smh lol on sale for only $6000!!!! I guess they are classics tho.
It's almost as if there are other things that matter that aren't just lumens!!11!1! WOW!!1!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its comical how under powered these are vs. how over priced and heavy they are. a whopping 3000 lumens at only 10 lbs smh lol on sale for only $6000!!!! I guess they are classics tho.

Overpriced is relative term. There aren't many HID lights that have gone through the military approval process which adds to the price. I'd never have reason to mount a light to a M2, 20mm recoilless rifle or 40mm launcher. If I did, I'm sure the Hellfighter would function just fine.

10 pounds weight? Hellfighter 1 lights bare are maybe 3.5 pounds. Only style cables add weight and so does having two BB2590 or 5590 batteries.

I don't know how Surefire is treating customers now, but they've completely gone through 3 of my lights replacing seals, gaskets and a battery on my Hellfighter 4 light for the price of shipping.

I'm unaware of any other company that offers the service that Surefire did for purchasers of used lighting equipment.

I couldn't get Xeononics to sell me a battery for my Night Hunter 1 that I purchased new 2 years earlier.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
They (Xenonics) are gone now about a year, maybe more.

Ray, I understand that. They underwent a few legal name changes before failing to garner a major military contract. Then they went bust.

I purchased my Night Hunter just prior to them switching over to NiMH batteries which only happened for a year before the lithium battery was made standard.

Their customer service was the pits. When I called about the lead acid 20v battery, they told me they only get them in once a year. I ended up making a pack with 18650 lithium cells as well as getting a RC hobby pack.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many factors that go into coming up with a price. In the case of the Hellfighter, first would be making the entire light rugged enough to stand up under battlefield conditions when mounted on the guns it is designed for. Greater cost for parts and a great deal of development cost to test all the permutations. Next big cost factor is convincing the government that it will perform as specified. If you have never looked into what it takes to get something MIL-SPEC certified, do so. It is very interesting. Remember the fuss over $400 hammers a few years ago? Some idiot slapped a MIL-SPEC requirement on a procurement for a regular hammer, and the extra cost of complying is what drove the cost that high. Third, and probably just as important, is Surefire's warranty service. If you happen to fumble finger mounting your Hellfighter on your Ma Deuce while in convoy and the track behind you runs over it, Surefire will still replace it, no questions asked. Then tell me they are overpriced.

Personally, if I am out there on the pointy end of the stick, I would gladly pay whatever it takes to make sure my equipment is going to work 'first time - every time' if I am going to bet my life on it.

Phylodog

Newly Enlightened
Thread resurrection time!

I recently purchased a Hellfighter in very good condition and I'm excited to finally have one after lusting years ago. I had an adapter made to attach it to my rifle tripod and I plan to use this setup with the IR filter to put some coyotes down with it.

I have an Amphenol connector coming tomorrow so I can get started on a power cord. I was wondering if anyone happens to know the model number of the female Amphenol connector that would plug in to the male? I'd like to have a short cord where I can use the Hellfighter as a handheld spotlight from my truck and a much longer cord I could use to get the rifle/tripod/Hellfighter setup a ways away from a 12v source.

Here's a few pics of my setup:

j8L143th.jpg

BcmmKyph.jpg

bound

Enlightened
I made an analysis of the types and quantities of HELLFIRE and HELLFIGHTER based on the information I could find for your reference. If there are any errors in the data and contents, please let me know and I will correct them.
1. The date of products is illustrated in the picture. For example, HELLFIRE Prototype V1 and V2 are respectively labeled as prototypes (unmass-produced products). HELLFIRE and HELLFIGHTER for mass production also use V+ number to mark the order of production.
2. The yellow arrows in the picture indicate the differences of products of different ages.
3. As for the quantity of products in different ages, I calculated it, especially the quantity of the first generation HELLFIRE. HELLFIGHTER starts out fairly accurately.
4. The table illustrates the differences of products in different ages.
5. The types and quantities of HELLFIGHTER 4 and HELLFIGHTER 5 are not counted in the pictures and tables.
I hope that through the analysis of the product model and the production quantity of each model, I can fully understand its situation. This information is not very practical, but for a lover, it is part of the hobby. What's more, we love them, so we should learn more about them, which will become part of our fun.
1-2005----1_zpsjysxz10k.jpg

No cooling ring

2-2005----2_zpsk30hhfkx.jpg

5 cooling rings

3-2005----1_zps2i3xxfqa.jpg

5 cooling rings

4-2005----1_zps2m6yxiok.jpg

HELLFIRE V1 5 cooling rings

5-2005----1_zps2i8thzre.jpg

HELLFIRE V2 6 cooling rings

6-99----1_zpsrksqfrgb.jpg

HELLFIGHTER V1 6 cooling rings

7-----1_zps9qqsxf6m.jpg

8-Mudman8----1_zpsbsfyi6hx.jpg

HELLFIGHTER V3 6 cooling rings
-_zpsabfvvr6h.png

Last edited:

chartmarker

Newly Enlightened
Hello Good people, any of you know where one might find parts for the Hellfighter? I'm looking for the part shown in the last pic posted shown with arrow # 3, the front mounting ring.

I made an analysis of the types and quantities of HELLFIRE and HELLFIGHTER based on the information I could find for your reference. If there are any errors in the data and contents, please let me know and I will correct them.
1. The date of products is illustrated in the picture. For example, HELLFIRE Prototype V1 and V2 are respectively labeled as prototypes (unmass-produced products). HELLFIRE and HELLFIGHTER for mass production also use V+ number to mark the order of production.
2. The yellow arrows in the picture indicate the differences of products of different ages.
3. As for the quantity of products in different ages, I calculated it, especially the quantity of the first generation HELLFIRE. HELLFIGHTER starts out fairly accurately.
4. The table illustrates the differences of products in different ages.
5. The types and quantities of HELLFIGHTER 4 and HELLFIGHTER 5 are not counted in the pictures and tables.
I hope that through the analysis of the product model and the production quantity of each model, I can fully understand its situation. This information is not very practical, but for a lover, it is part of the hobby. What's more, we love them, so we should learn more about them, which will become part of our fun.
1-2005----1_zpsjysxz10k.jpg

No cooling ring

2-2005----2_zpsk30hhfkx.jpg

5 cooling rings

3-2005----1_zps2i3xxfqa.jpg

5 cooling rings

4-2005----1_zps2m6yxiok.jpg

HELLFIRE V1 5 cooling rings

5-2005----1_zps2i8thzre.jpg

6-99----1_zpsrksqfrgb.jpg

HELLFIGHTER V1 6 cooling rings

7-----1_zps9qqsxf6m.jpg

8-Mudman8----1_zpsbsfyi6hx.jpg

HELLFIGHTER V3 6 cooling rings
-_zpsabfvvr6h.png

zemperfi

Newly Enlightened
Finally we are seeing these Hellfighters coming in at a supercheap price point. Can't believe the prices I am seeing. They are still indeed worth having. Love playing with mine. Thanks guys for all the information over the years

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the definite guide and resource for everything Hellfire / Hellfighter

I still take mine out about one or two times a year to stretch Its legs. Usually when someone asks me what my brightest light is.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

StrongWise

Newly Enlightened
I have a surefire for sale. I'm flexible with the price. If interested, i'll attach pictures

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if anyone knows why the 12 pin connector?
Definitely, power should be supplied to 2 of the 4 central ones, now we need to determine which

I came across a similar thing in power plants, sometimes there is a connector like a bendix for 40 ~ 60 contacts and only 30-40% are involved in them, the rest are empty, maybe it's the same here? Or is there an opportunity to run SOS, various strobe lights or weaker modes? Although I doubt it

This connector MS3116P14-12S Amphenol.
Specification:MIL-DTL-26482
Sealing:Sealed
Shielding:Yes
Connector Type:Circular
Connector Style:Plug
Mounting Type:Cable
Contacts, # of:12
Contact Style:Socket
Termination Method:Solder
Insert Arrangement:14-12
Contact Size:8#20, 4#16
Contacts Supplied:Yes
Contact Material:Copper Alloy
Contact Plating:Gold
Shell Material:Aluminum Alloy
Shell Plating:Olive Drab Cadmium
Shell Color:Olive Drab
Insert Material:Neoprene
Grommet & Seals Material:Neoprene
Amperage Rating:13A & 22A
Operating Voltage AC V RMS Max:600
Operating Temperature °F (°C):-67 to +257 (-55 to +125)
Contact Mating Life:500
Insert Rotation/Keying:Normal
Operating Voltage DC:850
Orientation:Straight
Service Rating:I
Endbell Type:Potting Cup
Export Class:EAR / EAR99
RoHS:No

Or someone changed the standard 5-pin connector to this

Attachments

• IMG_6950.JPG
    IMG_6950.JPG
    932.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6951.JPG
    IMG_6951.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6952.JPG
    IMG_6952.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found another HF owner on a local forum, he also has a 12-pin connector, which means SF made them for some specific purpose. Perhaps there is a weak mode for 1000 lm, and other types of strobe lights. I think we need to solder all 12 wires and close them in different combinations.

I decided to solder 4 wires for now, I use the power supply from the LED monitor ADPC12416BB 12V 4.16A, while I found only a stroboscope on terminals K and M or am I mistaken and the power supply from the computer monitor simply does not have enough power?

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a military connector. I believe most of these were used by the military/government. Maybe ?
In all SF catalogs, and here on the forum, I see only 5-pin connectors. On the SF website, cords are also sold with only 5 pins. Perhaps I missed something, while there remains a way to iterate over the pins to determine what they turn on and off. In my opinion, 5 pins are better for the military connector, they are thicker and more reliable than the 8 thin pins in this connector, although the other 4 pins seem to have the same diameter. Although I know some soldiers, it's better for them to have 2 connectors with 1 very thick pin, and one connector is larger than the other, so as not to mix it up. And it will be harder to break

Something cleared up, I ordered a suitable power supply, it will be necessary to find out how all the other 10 pins are combined. It seems that the trapezoid icon on the connector seems to indicate minus or ground
1670759692876.png

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found another HF owner on a local forum, he also has a 12-pin connector, which means SF made them for some specific purpose. Perhaps there is a weak mode for 1000 lm, and other types of strobe lights. I think we need to solder all 12 wires and close them in different combinations.

I decided to solder 4 wires for now, I use the power supply from the LED monitor ADPC12416BB 12V 4.16A, while I found only a stroboscope on terminals K and M or am I mistaken and the power supply from the computer monitor simply does not have enough power?

Strobing is bad for HID unless its fully warmed up first (say about 30 seconds on initially), then not so bad. I dont believe they had a dual power output on these, either on or off. Strobing is caused by the inadequate power supply, momentary inrush current is at least double or more of steady stare power requirements.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strobing is bad for HID unless its fully warmed up first (say about 30 seconds on initially), then not so bad. I dont believe they had a dual power output on these, either on or off. Strobing is caused by the inadequate power supply, momentary inrush current is at least double or more of steady stare power requirements.
Yes, you are absolutely right, this flickering turned out to be due to a weak power supply. I connected a powerful unit for 12V 10A, tried all combinations of wires, only one works between pins K and M. That is, it is a standard HF with 1 operating mode but with 12 pin connector

Attachments

• IMG_6982.JPG
    IMG_6982.JPG
    890.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6983.JPG
    IMG_6983.JPG
    794.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6984.JPG
    IMG_6984.JPG
    537.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you are absolutely right, this flickering turned out to be due to a weak power supply. I connected a powerful unit for 12V 10A, tried all combinations of wires, only one works between pins K and M. That is, it is a standard HF with 1 operating mode but with 12 pin connector
Makes no sense they would use a connector with so many pins, you could slightly remove the connector from the light just enough to see only 2 active wires inside the connector actually serving the light.

Last edited: