SureFire K2 Kroma Milspec owners... is this normal?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently picked up a brand-new Surefire K2 Kroma Milspec and I love it so far! It's an awesome light!

One thing that I noticed though is that it makes a high-pitched whining/buzzing sound from around the bezel/head on any of the low modes. Is this normal for this light? Have other owners experience this?

It seems that there is also a whining/buzzing sound from the tailcap on low, but that is pretty common for these style tailcaps. My concern is more about the sound coming from the around the bezel/head of the light.

-Robert

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using rechargeables?

My Kroma does make the most noise of any Surefire 2-stage I've ever owned. Sounds almost like a mosquito. If I use lifepo4 cells it's worse. If I use a 16650 it's much quieter and I barely notice it. It would seem like the higher the voltage, the louder the whine.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using rechargeables?

My Kroma does make the most noise of any Surefire 2-stage I've ever owned. Sounds almost like a mosquito. If I use lifepo4 cells it's worse. If I use a 16650 it's much quieter and I barely notice it. It would seem like the higher the voltage, the louder the whine.

No, I'm just using primary cells. Saying that it almost sounds like a mosquito is actually a pretty accurate description of what I'm hearing as well. Are you only hearing it from the tailcap or from the head of the light as well?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I'm just using primary cells. Saying that it almost sounds like a mosquito is actually a pretty accurate description of what I'm hearing as well. Are you only hearing it from the tailcap or from the head of the light as well?

I would say I hear it from both the tailcap & head. It can be annoying but it seems to be normal for this light.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to both of you for reassuring me that it's normal for these lights. The whining is a bit annoying, but as long as it's normal, I can live with it for having such an awesome, versatile light. :thumbsup: