SureFire KL6 Replaced by the New KL9?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, you're right! The lumen lust got the better of me. ;)

Wilkey

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
What exactly is meant by "four-die LED"? Is that four LEDs on a single die?

Yes. The SSC P7 is, as MattK described it, a Lux V on crack. Four high flux SSC dies crammed together into one emitter. Somewhere between an R2 bin cree and an Osram Ostar in crazy-ness.

slick228

Newly Enlightened
Yes. The SSC P7 is, as MattK described it, a Lux V on crack. Four high flux SSC dies crammed together into one emitter. Somewhere between an R2 bin cree and an Osram Ostar in crazy-ness.

One other thing to add is that this SSC 4-die LED is currently exclusive to SureFire.

Retinator

Enlightened
With it being a 4 die like the Lux V, I hope there's no doughnut hole in it. Maybe they've improved the optics to go along with it?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I would worry more about a relatively early burn out rate due to 2s2p configuration (if that is how they do it).

Surefire will work the bugs out. It will be one of the last new lights to appear this year. Paul Kim had a rough prototype at the Surefire party he threw for CPF, so still in infant stage. He did demonstrate it. the new U2 variant will be out sooner. Variable output with ring up to 200 lumens, including strobe.

Bill

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I get a light with a P7 and it burns out, it'll be replaced. They did the same with the Lux V lights. I heard of someone who thought their KL4 was getting dim and it was replaced.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The proto-type KL9 was shown at PK's CPF party.

The image in the catalogs is NOT going to what it looks like. As with other new SureFire products a suitable image was not available at the time of catalog design.

The proto-type KL9 is similar in style to the KL3/KL5, and the same diameter to the KL6 although not as long. The accents on the KL9 are the same as the UA2/UB2 indicating this will be a new theme for SureFire.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Surefire will work the bugs out. It will be one of the last new lights to appear this year. Paul Kim had a rough prototype at the Surefire party he threw for CPF, so still in infant stage. He did demonstrate it. the new U2 variant will be out sooner. Variable output with ring up to 200 lumens, including strobe.

Bill
Note that the UA2 (with the spot to flood variable beam using a pair of optics) is being rated as up to 200 lumens.

The UB2 and KL9 will have a SSC "10W" 4-die LED. SureFire have exclusive rights to this LED for an unspecified limited time.
In the UB2 it will likely be driven to approximately 8W for 400 lumens (SureFire lumens). These 'specifications' are subject to change etc etc etc

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as the color, i'm guessing its HA black. In the catalog it lists it as compatible with a bunch of 9V weaponlights, and does not list the M series handheld lights.

So, sounds like HA black to me!

schiesz

Size15's

Flashaholic
The KL9 is mentioned mostly in the Tactical Products catalog. The catalog concentrating on WeaponLights as obvious candidates for conversion.

The KL9 proto-type shown at SS2008 was attached to an M3/L6 body indicating that SureFire do have it in mind for the M3/L6.

Nothing I've heard or seen indicates that the KL9 will be Black HA.
No current SureFire that can accept the KL9 is in Black HA.
Therefore I believe it more realistic to assume the KL9 will be natural HA.

Student99

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I have M3 light. Will the KL9 possibly fit those bodies? I am not familiar with Surefires weapon systems and don't know the relationships with the hardware.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hi,

I have M3 light. Will the KL9 possibly fit those bodies? I am not familiar with Surefires weapon systems and don't know the relationships with the hardware.
Yes - the KL9 will fit the M3 body (which is the same as the L6 body). Indeed PK showed a proto-type of the KL9 on an M3 body at the CPF/Flashaholic Party

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Al, where the hell is my beloved E1E?? I didn't see it in the new catalog...

EDITED

Question already answered by Al.

Thanks man :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hey Al, where the hell is my beloved E1E?? I didn't see it in the new catalog...
Where is your E1e? In your hand? In your pocket?
I'm sure there are plenty out there with Dealers so you can buy more if you like.
Has your friendly SureFire Dealer told you the E1e is being discontinued?
Just because the E1e and certain other SureFire models are not in the 2008 catalogs doesn't mean they're being discontinued immediately.

Latest posts