SUREFIRE L1 2005 Version Beam Shots........would you be happy ?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ty,

If you have one of the older L1s and did the reflector swap, you should be getting a very nice beam out of the 17mm reflector. There are, however, two models of that reflector. One is for use with bare emitters (this is the one that you need) and another for use with stars. I typically whack the legs off of the reflector, regardless of which model I have. This should bring things into focus. The problem that you are describing sounds like the emitter isn't far enough into the reflector.

As for the beam of the L1, it is definitely a love it or hate it kind of thing. I personally don't care for it very much. Although I haven't had to opportunity to open up one of the newer L1s, I did mod one of the new KL1s a while back. IIRC, getting the head open was the hardest part. I would highly recommend the judicious use of heat and a 1" collet. Otherwise you are seriously risking damage to the finish of the light. After getting the head open, it was a pretty simple matter to slightly modify a McR20 reflector to replace the optic.

After having been there and having done that, I'd recommend just getting either an Aleph II or a PD. On the other hand, the L1 head may not be the bear that the KL1 is.

IonFire

Enlightened
I have a Gen4 KL1 E1L.

When i hold it 2-3 inches from the wall, it looks pretty bad, maybe worse then yours Faco.

Pull it further away, more then 2 feet, no rings, distortions ect to be noticed.
Other then the slightly squarish shaped spot.
grinser2.gif

This holds true for many of my lights upon further checking, except Flood types or my X1, but the obvious useless backsplash is helping whom, certainly not me.

I am not bothered by this behavoir at all, as i personally cant use a light that close.

Last notes.
Honestly, i cant think of one situation where I would hold the light 2-3 inches from my task, it produces incredible backsplash that does not help.
poke2.gif

Also, my flood based lights are defeated at that range, so to recommend a different type of light to use in this situation that is just as or more powerfull, i couldnt do it with a straight face.(And at that, it would have to be pretty low output.)

From SF: L1-Output/Runtime - High beam runtime approx. four hours with 22 lumens maximum output. Low beam runtime approx. 90 hours with 1.1 lumens maximum output
Btw,Nice little light.

IF

faco

Enlightened
FredM said:
I thought it used the exact same optic as the KL1. Why isn't it a square beam?

It is a square beam. The lens for some reason captured it to look round. The square beam doesn't bother me at all.

Just to mention one more time, I took the photo 3-4 inches from the wall just to show the bright ring (I don't use the light that close). Even at 10-20 feet away the bright ring is still there. Since it's the nature of the optics I except this now :) thanks for all the info on the optics. I will order the beamshaper to go with this flashlight for when I need flood.

Thanks again

nc987

Enlightened
That is perfectly normal. My E2L is exactly the same as your and my KL3 has even more rings than your picture. When you use the light outside and your more than 3 feet away from a whitewall the rings arent even noticeable.

I own 6 SureFire LED flashlights, basically every led light they make now minus the KL4. Its really personal preference. I like both the LED reflector lights they make and I like the throw and tight beam the TIR reflectors offer.

If you want perfect beam quality from a LED you cant go wrong with a L6. Its the most perfect beam I have ever laid eyes on. At this point its the best flashlight for beam quality I have ever owned or ever seen.

Mark2

Enlightened
Yes, the ring(s) are perfectly normal for the TIR-type Surefire lights, but maybe Surefire should remove the "no dark spots or rings" part from the description... ;)

faco

Enlightened
Mark2 said:
Yes, the ring(s) are perfectly normal for the TIR-type Surefire lights, but maybe Surefire should remove the "no dark spots or rings" part from the description... ;)

Well Said

livingaboard

Banned
Before I spent the dough on the l1 I read about it as much as possible so I was aware of the squareish beam so I wasn't dissapointed when it arrived. The only thing I don't like about it is the low setting is too low for me. I would like it a little brighter.

IonFire

Enlightened
livingaboard said:
Before I spent the dough on the l1 I read about it as much as possible so I was aware of the squareish beam so I wasn't dissapointed when it arrived. The only thing I don't like about it is the low setting is too low for me. I would like it a little brighter.

Hmm, interesting to know.
So, do you use it in a completly darkened house or other that you find its not bright enough?

Really just curious, My E1L with a 2-stage cap on it, is lower then when the light falls out of regulation and ran for abit at that, and i find it is still pretty bright for a darkened house, and i'm near 40.(20 Ohm R)

I want to add a L1 to my humble collection, i think its a sweet looking little light, maybe not little like the E1L,but close. Does the head on your guys L1's look like the one on SF's site?

IF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark2 said:

Indeed, agree for the TIR optics Surefies. This would stop the expectation for a decent or better beam in the L1, and KL1/KL3.

But my real wish would be for versions of the L1 that use refector.

livingaboard

Banned
IonFire said:
Hmm, interesting to know.
So, do you use it in a completly darkened house or other that you find its not bright enough?

Really just curious, My E1L with a 2-stage cap on it, is lower then when the light falls out of regulation and ran for abit at that, and i find it is still pretty bright for a darkened house, and i'm near 40.(20 Ohm R)

I want to add a L1 to my humble collection, i think its a sweet looking little light, maybe not little like the E1L,but close. Does the head on your guys L1's look like the one on SF's site?

IF

I find even at night in a dark house that I would like something brighter than the low setting. I have 20/20 vision and see well at night. Just a preferance I guess. I think the rating is less than 1 lumen on low. I would like something more along the lines of 5-8 lumens.

The L1 on the surefire sight must be the old design. If you pull up the led lights on their homepage and then click on the comparison chart towards the top there will be a graphic outline of all their led lights lined up. You will see that the head is of the scalloped design like their other lights. Also this comparison chart will show size of the lights relative to one another.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
why is the L1 so long... isnt it basically the E1L with 2 stages?

-David

IonFire

Enlightened
@Cheapo
Theres a picture around here showing "Size15's" hands, holding onto a cut away model of the L1.
It basically is a 2 cell light, but where the front cell would go is the circut board an electronics of the light.
It looked pretty cool, fair bit of do-dads in there.

@Livingaboard
Thanks for the heads up on whether it was a newer scalloped style or that style shown thier site. I did know about the comparison page.My vision is near perfect yet too at my age, as is my brothers, but he is night blind.
Anyhow, want to trade lol. j/k

IF

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
what I dont understand is why surefire put on their website "no rings."... they know that there are rings, so why did they tell us otherwize?

-David