Surefire L4...I LOVE it. (w/Beamshots)

prime77

Enlightened
I don't suppose you have a M60 drop-in to compare it to by chance? I'm looking for something to replicate my L4 and am really curious how the M60 and M60L compare.
I'm afraid I don't have a M60 or M60L to compare. Mossyoak is right those are throw orientated drop-ins. I almost picked up a M60F but wanted a smaller light to carry other than a 6P.

Pictures do tell thousand words! Thanks for the comparison beam shots! Do you run your L4 with primary 123 cells or do you already have a rechargeable solutions?
I use primarys to feed the L4. I'm not very caught up on rechargeables.

I took this light with me camping and let me tell you,you will appreciate the beam ten fold in the forest in pitch darkness.
I could see how the L4 would be a great camping light. You could light up your whole campsite with it.

I could understand why Surfire hasn't really messed with this light for so long..it's perfect.
I agree with your there. The thing that amazed me after the wall of light is the tint of my L4. It perfect. If you look at the beamshot between the E2DL with the F04 on it and the L4 you see much better color rendition with the L4. Did I just get a nicely warm L4 or were all the Lux5 this tint? If Surefire could keep the L4 the way it is and just increase runtime with a newer LED I would be happy.

1wrx7

Enlightened
I had to add some pics. The L4 is an awsome light.

002-3.jpg

012-2.jpg

033.jpg

faucon

Enlightened
Ever since I got into decent lights I always wanted to start a Surefire collection. Slowly but surely I have started to build a good collection, but the one light I have always wanted was an L4 Lumamax and it always seemed to be beyond may grasp. When I heard Surefire was raising their prices I thought I would never get to hold one. But checking Ebay last week paid off and I got a brand new L4 for a fair price.

I have always heard about the L4s wall of light and wanted to witness this in person and I have to tell you guys, old technology be dammed I love the L4. The beam is so much different than the TIR optic beams of my other Surefire lights that are more throw orientated. Even my newer Fenix and Nitecore lights with there Cree-rings in the there beam can't touch the quality of the beam that comes from my L4. And the tint is a thing of wonder. A nice warm creamy white. I may be late to the party with my new L4 but I love it. It's what I always wanted in a EDC light. A great amount of light from a tough, small, package with a forward clicky tailcap, and good pocket clip. I took some beamshots of my TIR optic SF lights to show great flood capabilities of the L4.

You gotta love that L4 beamshot, I sure do. Throw isn't everything. Like I said old technology be dammed, I'm going to EDC my L4. Do any of you still carry yours?
I often do. I go on nighttime field biology walks, either in the country or in a potentially dangerous, wooded, dark urban park. In these situations, I carry two good lights: my faithful L4 to throw a blast of light at a broad area; and a U2 or (one of my new favorites) an EagleTac T10C2 for a hybrid spot/flood beam for greater throw but still quite good spill.

By the way, nobody has ever hassled me in the city park since I've been carrying and using tactical lights. Apparently the bad folks think you're quite possibly a cop, and they really keep their distance from me now, which suits me just fine: :) Even cops have momentarily thought I was an officer, because I was using a tactical light in the more efficient LEO/Military manner. I do broad sweeps of very dark areas in and around the woods and trails. Though I'm doing wildlife surveys rather than looking for bad guys, the bad guys don't seem to want to take the chance that I might be a cop, and they take off long before causing any trouble. This secondary use of torches for self-defense seems a lot safer that waiting to shine a light into the face of someone who suddenly jumps out at you from the dark. Better to know that there's nobody hiding in the bushes in the first place.

youreacrab

Enlightened
This secondary use of torches for self-defense seems a lot safer that waiting to shine a light into the face of someone who suddenly jumps out at you from the dark. Better to know that there's nobody hiding in the bushes in the first place.
:thumbsup:

dmz

Enlightened
How does the Surefire L4 wall of light compare to the L2 wall of light?

Size15's

Flashaholic
How does the Surefire L4 wall of light compare to the L2 wall of light?
Based on the ones I've got, and the ones I've seen and been able to directly compare, the beams are essentially the same.
I swear my L2 is brighter though, at least to start with on fresh batteries.

faucon

Enlightened
Based on the ones I've got, and the ones I've seen and been able to directly compare, the beams are essentially the same.
I swear my L2 is brighter though, at least to start with on fresh batteries.
I have both lights as well, and find the beams very similar.

sims2k

Enlightened
I EDC an SF L2 for the same reason you are EDCing the L4...great flood. However the 2-mode L2 suits me perfectly on the job and I will keep on using it until an updated L2 comes out or the Invictus.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, how'd you get a P7 in your L4, wrx? How's the beam?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent beamshots! Threads like this are great, they really show you what the lights do outdoors. And thanks for comparing so many of the Surefire lights, a great set of caparison shots. That L4 is really amazing, it just lights up everything.

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
Is this a new L4? I used to have an L4 a few years ago and im sure it wasn't anything like that.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Is this a new L4? I used to have an L4 a few years ago and im sure it wasn't anything like that.

As the years have passed SF must have upgraded the Lux V emitters for the L4 (KL4). My first KL4 was much dimmer than my current KL4 (bounce with lightmeter).

Bill

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
wish surefire would make a 1 cell version of the L4

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
My L4 was one of my first lights and long one of my favorites, although it has gotten much dimmer over the years.

Prime posted some great photos. The differences between 30 and 45 lumens or 45 and 60 or 60 and 80, etc., are large and easy to see. I thought lumens had to double before the eye would pick up the difference. What's up with that?