Surefire Malkoff 16650 problems

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
Used to own a z2 with m61 drop in. The led would flicker in momentary mode with the z41 tailcap and another z41 with mcclicky installed . This problem went away once I replaced the keeppower 2500mah 16650 with primaries.

Just got a 6P with another m61. Same thing. Z41 and mcclicky flicker in momentary with 16650. Works fine with primaries. What gives?

Also the z41 tailcap spring is quite sharp where they cut the spring. It's put a pinhole on the negative side of the 16650. I'd say about a mm deep. Safe to use? Once again no pinholes on the bottom of cr123's.

I know the light is designed for cr123's but so many people say they run a 16650 in these lights. Any insight is appreciated.

For the record all my Malkoff drop ins in Malkoff lights work perfectly with primaries and rechargeables.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have ytou only got the one 16650? If you have another, try that.
I wonder if the scratch on the bottom of the cell is causung the spring to lose contact when you press the switch in. When you screw the tailcap down it wold hold the spring firm, but just pressing may cause it to flick in and out of the groove. You could either bend the spring end to stop the scratching or rub in on some abrasive surface, to stop any further damage.
Also the 16650 will be a little shorter than 2 x cr123s by 3mm or so. You could try stretching the spring on the M61 (Gene recomends this and says he will mend it if you damage the spring) - actually I reckon that's the problem - give it a bash.
Let's see what everyone else thinks.
P

flashlightsarecool

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response. I will try to bend the spring on the drop in. Good suggestion. I do have a second 16650 and it happens with both batteries. According to hkj that cell is 68mm's long compared to 68.4mm's for two cr123's. That still might be enough to make contact weak. I'll give it a try.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Peter. It sounds like a contact issue. You can stretch the spring on the module without voiding the warranty. Regarding the McClicky spring, I just use a pair of fine needle nose pliers to bend the top coil upward ever so slightly . This way, the smooth rounded part of the spring makes contact with the cell.