Surefire Minimus vs Zebralight H600 MK II LX2, feedback and opinions please.

46Alpha

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, my comparing of Spyderco to ZL was a bit misunderstood. Spyderco makes truly outstanding knives. They are one of the best value conscious knife makers going right now, with KAI being second. I own about 50 Spyderco knives, they are hard to beat. But when you stack them against the XM 18, or the VECP, Sebenza, SnG or any other higher end knife, they don't compare. Again, you can't beat Spyderco for the money.

I was trying to make the value vs cost correlation.

Chris, I ordered directly from ZL, it was $64.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, my comparing of Spyderco to ZL was a bit misunderstood. Spyderco makes truly outstanding knives. They are one of the best value conscious knife makers going right now, with KAI being second. I own about 50 Spyderco knives, they are hard to beat. But when you stack them against the XM 18, or the VECP, Sebenza, SnG or any other higher end knife, they don't compare. Again, you can't beat Spyderco for the money.

I was trying to make the value vs cost correlation.

Understood, and I agree 100%. Thanks for the clarification.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Zebralight H51fw and a Minimus Vision. I use the Zebra all the time around the house. The Surefire would be more of a hiking, outdoor light. I just don't trust the robustness of the Zebralight for rough outdoor uses. I'm not saying it would fail, but it doesn't inspire confidence. The Minimus may not have has many bells and whistles, but I trust that it will work when needed. I think which one you need comes down to what you need it for. Zebralight is perfectly capable under normal circumstances and great for doing chores around the house. The Minimus is built like a tank.

That's my opinion.

46Alpha

Newly Enlightened
I have a Zebralight H51fw and a Minimus Vision. I use the Zebra all the time around the house. The Surefire would be more of a hiking, outdoor light. I just don't trust the robustness of the Zebralight for rough outdoor uses. I'm not saying it would fail, but it doesn't inspire confidence. The Minimus may not have has many bells and whistles, but I trust that it will work when needed. I think which one you need comes down to what you need it for. Zebralight is perfectly capable under normal circumstances and great for doing chores around the house. The Minimus is built like a tank.

That's my opinion.

100% agree. I'm still keeping my eyes open for a SF Minimus either used or for short money. Many people fault SF for the 'lack of features' but honestly it's one of the reason I love them so much. Only what you need, in a bomb-proof package. KISS.

If I can score a Minimus, I'll be sure to post a more thorough comparison. But I'm a big fan of neutral tints, so that means a Vision. And they seem to be hard to come by.

pblanch

Enlightened
Did you have the Zl on H1 as they can get hot. I always put it on H2 on all my ZL's to extend the life of the battery. I went away from using 14500 in all of my lights as the higher high does generate a lot of heat (as you describe) and is just not useful to me. And if I wanted to use a Liion I would use a bigger torch and not a headlamp.

Its a shame you didn't like it. I love all of my ZL. The flexibility that I have found with them is outstanding.

46Alpha

Newly Enlightened
Did you have the Zl on H1 as they can get hot. I always put it on H2 on all my ZL's to extend the life of the battery. I went away from using 14500 in all of my lights as the higher high does generate a lot of heat (as you describe) and is just not useful to me. And if I wanted to use a Liion I would use a bigger torch and not a headlamp.

Its a shame you didn't like it. I love all of my ZL. The flexibility that I have found with them is outstanding.

It's not as much as I didn't like. Just underwhelmed a bit. I continue to use it daily and it still gets the job done.

And I love the Venture Bro's and RC references. Two of my favorites. I keep hoping for another season of VB's.

Last edited:

pblanch

Enlightened
We all have our favorites and is usually hard to go past them. Understandable.

chadvone

Enlightened
This has been a good read. I wonder if the OP is still using his Zebralight.

How is it holding up ?

Would also like to let him know there is a R/CR123 version available :whistle:

Last edited: