Surefire P60 incan LA tint and LED drop-in that will match it

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend in LE who loves the tint of the Surefire incandescent P60 lamp assembly and will not use anything else because of it. I gave him a neutral white XP-E drop-in two years ago, but I don't think he liked it since he went back to the incan.

I looked at the M61 219 and was wondering if its tint would be a match for the incan P60 drop-in. Does anyone know if that's true?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, warm white XP-G :twothumbs

.... or, as another option, the most common tint bins of Nichia 119 may be much warmer than the typical Nichia 219, in my experience. For some reason, the CCT seems to be much less often specified for the Nichia than the Cree :thinking:

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
He likes his beam as white as possible, like the tint that the P60 produces on a fresh pair of batteries.

Before the neutral white XP-E mentioned above, I let him try a warm white XR-E and he said it was "too yellow". So, no, 3,200~3,700K wouldn't do him any good.

Yeah, he's picky like that.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That's odd, since most incans are ~2700K. So a 3200 K warm, or 4000K neutral should appear cooler then the incan.

What didn't he like about the neutral white drop-in?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a nailbender nichia 219 and to me it is just like incan. Might have him check out one of those (or the malkoff 219)

Posted using Tapatalk on my HTC Evo

ToyTank

Enlightened
The tint he is wants is the Halogen driven hard. It is slightly warm and has broad band sprectrum beam that blows any LED out of the water. The Nichia 219 is white or no tint. The closest I have found to halogen is the Nailbender Drop in With S6 flux 7A2 tint 3200k 90 cri emitters

archimedes

Flashaholic
He likes his beam as white as possible, like the tint that the P60 produces on a fresh pair of batteries.

Before the neutral white XP-E mentioned above, I let him try a warm white XR-E and he said it was "too yellow". So, no, 3,200~3,700K wouldn't do him any good.

Yeah, he's picky like that.

That's odd, since most incans are ~2700K. So a 3200 K warm, or 4000K neutral should appear cooler then the incan.

What didn't he like about the neutral white drop-in?

I couldn't easily find a specification listed for the p60 lamp CCT, but to my eye it is indeed rather "brownish-yellow" (warm), even on fresh batteries :shrug:

I did find some helpful comparison beamshots posted, though ....

http://lumensreview.com/reviews/1-led-flashlights/116-quark-mini-tint-options.html

Last edited:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
ToyTank and archimedes, that's probably it. He does prefer the center of the spot to be white as possible, with the corona tapering off to slight yellow.

Argh! It sucks that no one has a tint comparison between incan P60 and HCRI 219.

I'll just get the M61SHO 219 and see if it sticks. If he doesn't like it, well, I've been eyeing a HCRI drop-in for my C2 for some time, anyway.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tint he is wants is the Halogen driven hard. It is slightly warm and has broad band sprectrum beam that blows any LED out of the water.
And I own an A2 with the Streamlight bulb "upgrade" - possible the holy grail all those incan ppl are searching for ...
... as well as one of nailbenders High CRI warm white XM-L inserts (which eats the A2 in every respect).

Color wise, both are almost the same (the incan maybe not 3.200 but 3.500 K), so
1: not really understandable why that should not work and
2: no clue at all why this is sooo shought after (both of them).

He should try one of nailbenders 5.000 K XM-L inserts, that is white ...

Last edited:

ToyTank

Enlightened
There is a real difference between natural incandescent light(sun, fire, halogen) and HCRI LEDs.

HCRI LEDs have spikes in the spectrum one in the red one and then the blue.

Even 5000K Nichia are not broad spectrum just a red/blue balance that equals 5000K.

Sunlight is broad spectrum of visible light(400-800nm) and UV(which we DO see in bright colors and bright whites) Halogen matches that natural light much better than the red/blue mix of a HCRI LED.

EDIT:The S6 flux 7A2 tint 3200k 90+ CRI XM-L in my nailbender driop-in is the most halogen like IMHO, just based on my horrible eyes. Perception is the problem, when I'm using P90 on 2x18650 IMR outside it does seem white and smooth just awesome to me but against a white wall it does look yellow funky and ringy.

Last edited:

Latest posts