SureFire Sidekick vs Titan vs Titan Plus PHOTOS Photo Heavy.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many thanks for the write-up and pics! :twothumbs I've been wondering how the Sidekick compared to the Titan in size, and now I know.
Thanks bigfoot. I was meaning to do this a while back. But got busy with other stuff. Glad it was able to help you. I hope others post some Sidekick pics too.
Being a new light and the fact that SF didn't have many pics I figured others may benefit from it.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Hey mag! It is bigger, however, and a big however, weight wise; that Brass ATL feels like 20 Sidekicks! lol
One thing I thought when I was taking the pics, is I wish SF had a removable magnet. So you could stick the light places. I am temped to try and crack mine open and see what is inside and if I can add a thing Neo mag.

Edit: For those who don't know, the Sunny has a great magnet that allows you to stick it to metal surfaces. I like this feature bunches.

Wanna hear something funny about that magnet? I didn't know it had one, and one time I had it in my hand and then leaned up against the door of our fridge. I guess I didn't have a very good hold on it, and it leaped out of my hand and stuck to the fridge, which kinda freaked me out because I thought I had accidently dropped it. Then I noticed it happily sticking to the front of our fridge, and I realized it had a small rare earth one just like my Olight Baton lights. :)

I know I had read the list of features when I bought it, but apparently I missed that one.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just have to remember to keep it away from your debit and credit cards. :) I encountered that little issue. Totally my fault. As you can see, I added a clip to mine. Both the SF and Sunny. I am going to put a Ti carabiner on the SF so I can clip it to my front belt loop. That is how I carry the Sunny. Oh, another way that is cool to carry these is using the Maxpedition Keyper. For $7.69 that darn thing is very handy.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my scale
Sidekick, as pictured 40.4g 1.43oz
Brass ATL, removed Goal Zero carabiner 52.3g 1.84oz

EDIT: Fixed typos on oz, kids were screaming while I was typing.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
For comparison I just weighed my copper ATL, which is 1.9 oz. or 54 grams, a bit heavier than the brass.

It's interesting that the Sidekick is about the same weight as the ATL copper at 56 grams.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
For comparison I just weighed my copper ATL, which is 1.9 oz. or 54 grams, a bit heavier than the brass.

Im guessing you would also find the Cu ATL too heavy for keychain

in any case, I think putting the Sidekick on a belt hanger makes a lot more sense than on a set of keys. I actually prefer to hold my light separate from my keys.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Woods, Yes when I was first using the Sidekick, I thought, I could detect some PWM on low with my bare eyes. I am not that sensitive to PWM. So I knew if I thought I noticed it, it must be bad for those who are sensitive to it. I may try and do a video today and post that. Through the camera, on low, it is kinda shocking. I have never seen a light as bad as this. In fact, it was so bad, I thought the light went into a strobe mode when I was looking through the camera. I turned it on and off several times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
I guess they were going for a mega runtime on low? Once again, none of the Titans showed it.

It's a downer because I am sensitive to that. More so in the snow and rain. Oh well not every gear item is for every person. I do like the looks of that Nitecore keychain light. I know it's a bit off topic but how is the PWM on that?

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Im guessing you would also find the Cu ATL too heavy for keychain

in any case, I think putting the Sidekick on a belt hanger makes a lot more sense than on a set of keys. I actually prefer to hold my light separate from my keys.

Could be, but actually in my case it's usually not the weight but the size of the light that makes the difference. The copper ATL is still small enough despite the extra weight of the copper that it's not a problem for my keychain.

Still Of The Night

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the great comparison pics! Of particular interest and helpfulness to me were the side views of the three SureFires. On the SureFire site all three have the same bezel diameter spec. whereas the SideKick in your pics does look thicker/wider.

Also from your pics it looks like the three SF´s have slightly different beam profiles, particularly the Titan compared to the SideKick and Titan Plus. I don't know if that is because of different outputs or if they were at slightly different distances to the wall or something? I was under the impression that the three shared the same reflector and LED set up, though going by your front view pic maybe the Sidekicks LED is less deep set?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the SureFire site all three have the same bezel diameter spec. whereas the SideKick in your pics does look thicker/wider.

the reflectors and LEDs look the same to me.
1A6D2AB4-DF61-4C86-9C05-ABD7B161B204_zpsyu28hio0.jpg

I agree the beams can look different due to different battery voltages.

Great Photos!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
AAA's were fresh off charger Surefire cells. Sidekick was fully charged too. I didn't check voltages, but I assume they were pretty dang close.

Just to be clear, the Sidekick has a built in Li-on battery. It charges via the USB port. That USB port has no cover. I am sure it is "water resistant". I haven't tested this.

Last edited:

w2edv

Newly Enlightened
great post!

I wonder if I jumped the gun by purchasing the Sidekick v1. I generally use it for short durations (getting my key in the door or illuminating a pathway to my car) so I haven't experienced any overheating problems yet. I was initially going to purchase the Titan + but that odd cap and the key ring hole annoyed me. I'm new here and haven't read a large number of the posts, but does anyone think that the top-end key-ring hole is a good idea?

thanks!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I was initially going to purchase the Titan + but that odd cap and the key ring hole annoyed me. I'm new here and haven't read a large number of the posts, but does anyone think that the top-end key-ring hole is a good idea? ...

If you mean the Titan Plus's snap-off plastic end cap, I don't use it. I like the metal lanyard/key ring attachment point which remains.

surefire-titan-plus.jpg