Surefire tailcaps: what's the difference?

Rando

Enlightened
What's the difference between the Z48, Z49... Z90210 tailcaps? I looked at Surefire.com and although some look different and fit different models, they all appear to function the same. What's the difference between the different caps, and are they the same as the original tailcaps that come with the lights? If they're the same as the originals, why would anyone buy one if Surefire has a lifetime warranty?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Z48 is HA, the Z49 is Black. Otherwise they are exactly the same.

Perhaps this helps?
Al-swts.jpg

SureFire's various product ranges are extremely modular so you can swap TailCaps on most models should you desire a different switch option.

For example, the M2 comes with the standard LOTC (Z41-HA) but if you want a Clickie TailCap you have three main options: Z48 (with rubber shroud), Z58 (without rubber shroud) and SW02 (chunky grip and rubber shroud).

So the reason why there are a wide variety of TailCaps is to give the user choice.

Yes, SureFire states that if it breaks, they will fix it.
However, the push buttons are textured rubber that will eventually wear smooth with use. Like vehicle tires the rubber is designed to afford some grip.

kumar762

Banned
ugh that would be the port for a tape switch.XM tailcaps are usually mounted on weaponlights that why you've never seen them the small xx is used in place in the number of inches your tape switch is so if you've got a 7 inch cable on your tape switch it would be a XM07.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Illum_the_nation said:
never seen this XMxx before, is that a port for a charger plug?

It's for the tape pressure switch.

Here is a photo showing the UMxx and XMxx TailCaps (UMxx now phased out / discontinued) and the ST05 Plug-In Momentary-On Tape Switch.
You can also use the new SRxx Dual Function Tape Switch with Rail Clip.

The STxx and SRxx also fit the UExx TailCap for the E-Series (ScoutLight) bodies

SR07

ST07

Here is a photo of the UE00 and XM00 with the ST10

Note: Where xx is the length of the cable in whole inches and when 00 is used it comes without a tape switch (XM00 is the TailCap only)

Size15's

Flashaholic
Archangel said:
Anyone know if the z48/9 and z57/8 are equal in terms of durability?

The Z48/Z49 are based on the SW02 - a TailCap specifically designed for the hard life as part of a WeaponLight. As such they are extremely robust - durable and reliable. As a result they are thicker and longer than a standard TailCap.

The Z58/Z59 are based on the Z57 - a TailCap specially designed to be compact for the E-Series. As such they are only just longer (and no thicker) than a standard TailCap. As a result they have not been as durable as everybody hoped. SureFire have been aware of this and have worked to create a more durable design. I guess that time will tell whether this latest version proves more reliable in production.

Personally I prefer standard push-button pressure switches, or better, two-stage push-button pressure switches rather than clickies. The SW02 is a great addition to the M4 though - really making it more ergonomic in my opinion.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
Rando said:
Once again, Size15s is the go-to guy for Surefire info. Thanks.

You're welcome!

I have a feeling that the new SRxx Dual Function Tape Switch with Rail Clip will be extremely popular. It's not had that much exposure outside certain circles yet though.

Al

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
The Z58/Z59 are based on the Z57 - a TailCap specially designed to be compact for the E-Series. As such they are only just longer (and no thicker) than a standard TailCap. As a result they have not been as durable as everybody hoped. SureFire have been aware of this and have worked to create a more durable design...
It's interesting that so many complain about U2 tail switch reliability, when many different Surefire lights used Z57-based switches. Do ALL lights using Z57, Z58 OR Z59 experience similar switch reliability, or do people just notice it more on the U2?

If reliability is really about the same for all lights using any switch in the Z57 family, maybe the people who have sworn off U2s should likewise do so for every Surefire light using a Z57-based switch :) Just to be safe, you know.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Whilst the SW02, Z48 & Z49 are the same switch but with different external styling, my understanding is that the Z58 & Z59 are based on the Z57 but that they are not exactly the same.

I do find it strange that the L5 and L6 do not get as many complaints regarding the TailCap as the U2 does here on CPF. I'd guess this is because the U2 is held in some strange hype by CPF members - it's a flashlight commanding such high expectations. Also, I guess that the U2 has been purchased by more CPF members than the L5 and L6.

Anyway, I don't get the impression the Z57 has nearly as many reported issues as the U2 TailCap.

Al

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Al:)

One question, for which light was the Z52 build? Is it the same like other ones (other finish)?

Thank you and best regards

____
Tom

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long John said:
Hello Al:)

One question, for which light was the Z52 build? Is it the same like other ones (other finish)?

Thank you and best regards

____
Tom

The Z52 is the standard HA lockout tailcap (twisty) for the E series lights.

Mark

Size15's

Flashaholic
Long John said:

The Z52 is the E2e/E1e standard LockOut TailCap. It features a push-button pressure switch for momentary light output. The TailCap is screwed onto the body for constant-on light output and backed off to disable (LockOut) the push button.
The Z52 is "natural" HA.

The Z53 is the same but "Satin Grey" or "Gun Metal Grey"

The Z54 is the same but standard "black" (not hard anodised black)

Size15's

Flashaholic
It should be Tom! The Z52 and Z41 are two of the most common TailCaps SureFire provide - they are one of the corner stones to the concept of a "tactical" flashlight.

Al

Illum

Flashaholic
Rando said:
Once again, Size15s is the go-to guy for Surefire info. Thanks.

Completely agree, from now on most of my surefire questions will be routed to size15s instead of Surefire's help site. His answers gives you this warm and fuzzy feeling inside where you feel a sensation of comfort:goodjob:; "I've learned something new today!"

Surefire's help site sometimes gives the answers too professional:ohgeez: and [dunno about you] leaves me with initual confusion until I can digest what the @#$% their talking about.:thumbsdow

:rock:Cheers to Size15s!:rock: