Survival Situation!

Overmind

Newly Enlightened
Nice initiative. But don't stop there.
Some tips:

Try walks that are longer. 30 min is a warm-up. 4h trips would be a good training. Try increasing the interval gradually.
Try them in various weather conditions (in bad weather 30min ones are good too, they help you adapt and prevent many things in a real need situation).
Try different paths, test them during day, but try traveling them at night too.

Don't use any tech (except flashlight and/or laser at night). If you can do it without tech, you can do it with it too, but don't take tech for granted.

At night, against doggies of any kind, fell free to use green lasers of 100mW+. They are ultra efficient in scaring them off. Green lasers are a must. If you can get a flashlight with you, you can also get a green laser. Advantages: you can use it against various creeplings, you can use it as infinite-range flashlight (a good green will have enough range to reach Earth curvature) and you can even start a fire if it's powerful enough (if not, you can still start a fire with it's power cell).

All this aside, walking (anywhere anytime) helps. A daily walk (but fast pace, army-like) of even 1Km can drastically improve one's overall shape and it's something that can be done at any age. Do this for a few months and you're at 90% of a very good physical shape. Give the laziness of meatbags today, most of the people are clearly unfit for many things considered usual in the past. It's up to everyone to change that.

salmantitly

Banned
Survival Situation

Weve talked about being prepared, but have any of you been in a situation where you had to rely on your survival skills. In all honesty I havent, Im usually careful to avoid potentially dangerous situations.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Survival Situation

Weve talked about being prepared, but have any of you been in a situation where you had to rely on your survival skills. In all honesty I havent, Im usually careful to avoid potentially dangerous situations.

There is a Russian saying: if someone is forced to behave heroically means there has been made a damn severe mistake before that.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to see zombies come to my town after 2am. The bars let out, hookers, addicts and dealers walking the streets. The key to survival is common sense. See the shortcut through the dark alley? I wouldn't take it if there were police at either end. See the raccoon walking towards you...don't pet it! Going out for a walk in the woods? Let someone know your plans and direction & when to expect you back & when to start panicking.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you want to see zombies come to my town after 2am. The bars let out, hookers, addicts and dealers walking the streets. The key to survival is common sense. See the shortcut through the dark alley? I wouldn't take it if there were police at either end. See the raccoon walking towards you...don't pet it! Going out for a walk in the woods? Let someone know your plans and direction & when to expect you back & when to start panicking.

The pimps and their ladies usually aren't the problem. At around 2am, they're usually just looking for a place to eat. And depending on the neighborhood, are sometimes the quietest and most respectful acting individuals in the fast food joints. The dope fiends, sorry.... "Stoners" are the real zombies.

As far as exploring, I always let folks know where I am. Just in case anything should happen. That way if I'm trouble, at least the local authorities have a somewhat close by starting point to go off of.