Swap in Cree for the luxeon

wild_mn

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Cabelas light that has the two Luxeon 3w leds in it. I decided to swap in Cree XR-E R2 (WG) emitters. Nice and easy and worked wonderful. Now I am wondering if there is a way I can get rid of the donut artifact in the beam? At 25 yards it has a dark spot dead center. Would an aspherical lens help focus the two into one? If I cant fix it im fine with it because it is a beater light but it would be nice to get a better focus with all the nice light it now produces. Thoughts?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the old luxeons had a 115* viewing angle, whereas the Cree XR-E based LED's only have a 90* viewing angle. So, either the focus for the new LED is incorrect, or the LED and reflector are incompatible.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
no an aspheric will not focus two emitters into one. General rule, the best you can do is keep things as tight as they are : so you can't making things closer then they begin.

Otherwise, I don't really know what you're asking...pics?

wild_mn

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the information. It appears that I am up against the original poor design of the light. I am going to play with the focus a bit to try and tune the donut out. I may end up abandoning the 2 emitter reflector and swaping In a single. Thanks again

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Sounds like the focus could be a bit off, the height of the die in the Luxeon could be different then the height of the die in the Cree with would throw off the focus.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old Cabelas light that has the two Luxeon 3w leds in it. I decided to swap in Cree XR-E R2 (WG) emitters. Nice and easy and worked wonderful. Now I am wondering if there is a way I can get rid of the donut artifact in the beam? At 25 yards it has a dark spot dead center. Would an aspherical lens help focus the two into one? If I cant fix it im fine with it because it is a beater light but it would be nice to get a better focus with all the nice light it now produces. Thoughts?

Can you take some pictures of the reflectors? I might have something that can help you.

vtunderground

Enlightened
I expect that you'd have better luck replacing Luxeons with Seoul P4s, than with Crees. The Seouls have a wide viewing angle like the old Luxeons.