switch over to cr123 type lights?

brucec

Enlightened
I would think the runtime for 14500 vs RCR123 should be about the same since they are at the same voltage, same chemistry, just different form factor. I think the output would be identical too, due to the same reasons.

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
I also don't know of any flashlight that is specifically made to run on only a 14500 battery. All of the ones I know of are designed to run on alkaline and NiMH first and are then made capable of running on 14500.

If someone made one specifically to run on 14500, I think we'd see some higher performing AA flashlights

I have a couple, but just DX lights: Ultrafire C3 Stainless Steel q5.

They are very bright, cheap, made of stainless steel and have decent runtime. They also can get hot and if you run out of charged 14500's you are out of light. I like them and just keep them in jacket pockets for edc use. I don't think I would buy them again after getting hooked on the shorter batteries.

I have mostly changed over to the CR123/16340 format. I have Fenix, Lumapower, olight, and Ultrafire single cell lights & a Huntlight that runs two of them. I love the versatility and performance across temperature ranges we get (with the primaries). The little bump in brightness is nice from the rechargeables in most of them. The cells are cheap and a big improvement over the AA format to me. The only exception is the NDI, I love its versatility, shape and size.
I even keep a couple of Nano chargers in the cars now along with plently of primaries. You don't need to worry about the dead batteries in the glove box anymore, unlike what always used to happen to the mini mag and the package of spares...

I really do like the form factor better. Growing up with 007 jaded some of us and the cr123 lights appeal that same kid that loved the little silver Energizer that ran on a AA for about 15-20 min. & looked more like a birthday candle.

Jasonmaglights,
The Liteflux you had was also one of the most versatile possible with AA/14500's. That would have been my pick as a backup to the CR123 lights. The LF5xt is about as sweet a AA light as there is.

If I was buying the batteries from local stores though, I would not have changed over...:broke:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
problem:
single celled light --> lenght = 1
two celled light --> lenght only = 1 + 1/3
(because front and end parts make 1/3 each of total lenght)
so, using a 2 celled light slightly increases lenght, but doubles the engergy

spice in rechargeable cells (that are only nominal values, most likely not real ones!):

14500: 750 mAh
CR123: 750-800 mAh
17500: 1100 mAh
17650: 1800 mAh
18500: 1500 mAh
18650: up to 2400-2500 mAh

for single celled light: 18650
makes same size than 2 CR123 or 1 17650 but with more power

PS: as mentionned: the 18650 stands for 18 mm diameter, 65 mm lenght (but take a "protected" cell and better add 2 mm)
PPS: ever use "protected" cells