Sylvania '60w' LED Bulb Review and Teardown 2014

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
Another LED tear down... this bulb was remarkable as I found it in a grocery store.... till now most of these bulbs have been a home improvement store-only purchase.

Another single sided circuit board with modest quality soldering... I wonder if it would have as poor a life as the similar shaped "A" bulbs from Philips that are now failing on a regular basis (the 2nd one just went out after only a few months of service).

Poor light pattern. Will the LED market will damage it'self as people do one experimental buy of a single bulb only to be disappointed... there are so many details left off on these bulbs packing making purchase a speculative endeavor.

Video at link:

Last edited:

BLH

Newly Enlightened
Your review came at the right time and as always was very informative.

I picked one up in a local grocery store on Friday. Was like $9.99 and with my store card $4.99.
Yes it sure is directional.

Last edited:

thinker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the excellent and thorough evaluation. I was tempted to buy one when I saw it in an ad, but it looks like the bulb is not worth it.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much! I like all the Phillips bulbs starting with the L-Prize winner. I like the effciency of the L-Prize winner and it's light spectrum, I bought a lot of them. I liked the funky one for it's general utility with great color and price, but I was glad to see your tear-down on the latest replacement showed it was a pretty good bulb I'm using a couple of these in Daylight color temp and I'm liking them also for my purpose and have been giving some to friends to try. I'm using a couple in enclosed fixures even though I know I shouldn't. The lights don't get a lot of use, but I'm curious if they will last at least 10 years. Unfortunately I doubt they will be in the same fixtures for 10 years to find out. Anyway it was great to find your youtube-channel and it also got me thiniking about the resources involved in manufacturing these, as well as their eventual disposal.

mapson

Enlightened
I'm hoping for a future teardown on the new Sylvania 60w bulb that was introduced in mid July. I purchased a few after seeing it in a thread here on CPF and visually, I'm very happy with them. Your teardown videos are fun to watch and learn from, keep up the great job!